Forum Index > Photography Talk > Shopping for a camera...Sony DSC-RX100?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
skookum olympus

skookum olympus
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 7:04 am 
Does anyone have experience with this camera? Does anyone have any recommendations? I am finally in a place where I can get a new camera, and I am looking for something better than a simple point-and-shoot for posting to f*cebook. I'd like some quality photos that might be worth printing and framing. I don't have a lot of money, but this one is in my price range, at under $500. I'm looking to have a camera I can take pics in the forest (so low light, lots of close-up shots), and from the ridge-tops (so a good zoom might be nice). I know very little about cameras, or the technical aspects of photography... but I'm hoping someone here who does might like to share their knowledge. :-)

..... to be whole and harmonious, man must also know the music of the beaches and the woods. He must find the thing of which he is only an infinitesimal part and nurture it and love it, if he is to live. ~Wm. O. Douglas
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 10:28 am 
My photography results really started looking good once I got an rx100m2. I then sold it and bought an rx100m3. I recently upgraded to a Sony A7ii. for the full frame goodness. But I still have the rx100m3 and I've already turned down offers from friends to buy it from me. It's a good camera. Take a look at some of my phots with the rx100 line. Most the photos posted here are from the rx100 line. The latest 6 are from the A7ii https://www.flickr.com/photos/patricksloan if you do buy, take a look at the guides offered here: www.FriedmanArchives.com great basic info on all the camera setups and uses etc...

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 10:53 am 
up.gif WOW ! Nice photos.

Living in the Anthropocene
skookum olympus

skookum olympus
PostWed Apr 13, 2016 6:46 am 
Wow - great photos! And thank you for the info and website.

..... to be whole and harmonious, man must also know the music of the beaches and the woods. He must find the thing of which he is only an infinitesimal part and nurture it and love it, if he is to live. ~Wm. O. Douglas
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Apr 13, 2016 1:31 pm 
I bought the first version just after the 3rd came out and got a screaming deal on it. After reading the reviews on the various versions I decided to save $ since they were very similar (you can get it for $350 now). The IV is a major upgrade, esp. if you want 4K or slo-mo video, but big $$ of course. The first version produces the best P&S images I've gotten (by far), but isn't perfect. It is a bit slow on/off and hard to work with gloves on. Sony's menu system is a mess, but I've learned to work with it (since I'm a bit of a Sony fan boy). Overall I'm very happy with it. Most of my ski or climbing pictures posted here in the last couple years were taken with this camera
Mt. Pilchuck
Mt. Pilchuck
Jim Hill Cornice
Jim Hill Cornice
Jim Hill Ski
Jim Hill Ski
Heather Ridge Cornice
Heather Ridge Cornice
Mt. Pilchuck Pano
Mt. Pilchuck Pano

skookum olympus

skookum olympus
PostWed Apr 13, 2016 7:25 pm 
Nice pics! I can see I have a bit more research to do.