Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 7:14 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
drive like hell from the Big City, just so they can walk slowly through the woods. confused.gif
lol.gif I see the same thing, more or less, at the gym. People go to great lengths to "park close" to then go inside and ... walk. huh.gif Ok, back to the topic at hand...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 12:47 pm 
MtnManic wrote:
turn onto a minor arterial with a small uphill incline and I swear the car is falling apart, I'
Clogged fuel filter or fuel injectors? Do you have a heavily clogged air filter? Not sure why its lighting up warning lights though. Trailhead mice chewed through some wires maybe?

friluftsliv
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 2:19 pm 
Re: MtnManics problem, I'm not a mechanic and I've never owned a Subaru. But, I did own a car that almost stalled out on a few occasions. A friend of mine suggested using a Lucas fuel additive since it appeared to be an injector problem. It solved my problem. This might not solve your problem... but for $10, it might be worth a shot.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 7:39 pm 
markh752 wrote:
Re: MtnManics problem, I'm not a mechanic and I've never owned a Subaru. But, I did own a car that almost stalled out on a few occasions. A friend of mine suggested using a Lucas fuel additive since it appeared to be an injector problem. It solved my problem. This might not solve your problem... but for $10, it might be worth a shot.
a bottle of your favorite injector cleaner/ gas dryer is always a cheap and good first step. Not a bad idea to do regularly anyway.

friluftsliv
RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 7:47 pm 
markh752 wrote:
Looks similar to what I've used for years, Sea Foam. https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 8:04 pm 
Best advice about Subarus...Do not buy one!...and if you do slow the hell down going through Verlot, the speed limit is 35, not 65!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 8:10 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Best advice about Subarus...Do not buy one!...and if you do slow the hell down going through Verlot, the speed limit is 35, not 65!
Don't forget to add your "You kids get off my lawn!!" tongue.gif

friluftsliv
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 9:29 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Here is a brief summary of the work that my mechanics have said needs to be done*: Both rear wheel bearings $850 Front brakes and possible calipers (I didn't even ask about the rears) $900 Wire repair so I can open my rear hatch $600 Front window switch (won't roll down) $320 Head gaskets $2000 (might cost more) Spark plugs $350 Clutch, flywheel, shift fork $1400 Both front control arm bushings $450 *Only includes quotes for the last 12 months 2005 Outback, 135,000 miles
Your mechanics are bending you over on a couple of those things. Also, some of them can be combined. For example -the spark plug change would be done as a matter of course during the head gasket fix, there should be no extra charge for that (other than the cost of the plugs themselves). Some of what you listed is to be expected - clutch replacement at 135K? Not too many people get more miles than that out of a clutch in a manual trans car. Some do, many don't. Surprising that they want to replace the flywheel - how could they know there's anything wrong with it without taking everything apart first? Replacing the whole flywheel is not standard procedure during a clutch replacement, but refinishing/refacing the flywheel is. Maybe it's just cheaper to put a new flywheel in than re-machine the existing one. Still, $1400 for a clutch job seems excessive by about $400. $900 for front brakes is a straight up ripoff. There's no way Forester calipers are that expensive. In fact, a quick search at NAPA online reveals 2005 Forester calipers rebuilt with all new hardware and pads are $87.50 each. So how do they justify an additional $725 for front brakes only? That's ridiculous. I'll do them for you for $500, all parts included, and have it done in an afternoon and that includes brand new rotors too. The head gaskets are just an unfortunate reality for Subarus. Seems just about every 2.5L engine needs them somewhere in that 130K - 180K mileage range. Wheel bearings are also a weak point on these cars. I bet you can fix the window switch yourself. There should be several years of Forester that use the same switch. Go to a pull-a-part yard and pull the switch yourself - that'll give you the opportunity to learn how the door panel is held on and how the switch is installed into it before you work on your own car. Shouldn't cost more than $10-$15 for a used switch assembly and they will guarantee it's good. Door panels are usually really easy to remove - there will only be a couple screws, one at the latch and one in the arm rest pocket, and maybe one or two more. The rest of what's holding it on is plastic clips that just push into holes in the door itself. You basically just take out the couple screws then yank the door panel off... The window switch assembly just plugs into the car's wiring harness. If you don't want to do that, I'll do it for you for $150 at the same time the brakes get done. Thing is, owning a car long-term means being ready to shell out for maintenance. That's why a lot of people lease, so they always have a new car that doesn't have many problems. Keep a car for 10+ years and you're going to spend money fixing stuff. My '97 Accord had 163K on it when I bought it. Every gasket in the engine, including the front crankshaft seal had to be replaced. Because the front crank seal was leaking oil got on the timing belt so that had to be replaced too. The previous owner replaced the clutch at 110K (either Honda clutches suck or he didn't know how to drive it very well). Now either the alternator or power steering pump is making noise. My last Corolla needed CV joints/axles, timing belt, two water pumps, a radiator, an exhaust manifold, and all new exhaust pipes from the catalytic converter back by the time it had 180K on it. My truck needed a complete engine rebuild, clutch, and radiator at 200K. The axle needed all new bearings and seals at 180K. The transmission exploded in my old Nissan truck at 150K. I could go on and on. I've owned a LOT of used cars. In fact, I've never bought a car with less than 36K on the clock and most were 100K or more. It's just the nature of owning used cars. None of them are perfect. If you own a car long enough, and especially if you're driving it to the mountains on rough roads a lot, it's going to need work eventually. Aint entropy grand?

MtnManic

MtnManic
PostMon Apr 11, 2016 7:22 pm 
Well, the engine light came on for the mechanic (though it didn't stall), and it's an issue with the lean gas mixture. They're replacing the carburetor (under extended warranty!). And rant.gif to those of you dissing Subie's. I've owned Mazda and Subie's, have family with Toyota and others. Subie seems no better and no worse than others. I also slow down in school zones and city limits, don't camp in the left lane or drive under the speed limit. I do, ahem, have some fun on open roads without traffic. up.gif

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Apr 11, 2016 10:04 pm 
MtnManic wrote:
They're replacing the carburetor (under extended warranty!).
??? What kind of car are we talking about here??? Or, have I just been successfully trolled...? confused.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 4:09 am 
MtnManic wrote:
And rant.gif to those of you dissing Subie's. I've owned Mazda and Subie's, have family with Toyota and others. Subie seems no better and no worse than others. I also slow down in school zones and city limits, don't camp in the left lane or drive under the speed limit. I do, ahem, have some fun on open roads without traffic. ailgat up.gif
Nothing against you personally, but when nearly every time I am tailgated (while going the speed limit or just above) on the MLH and it's a Subie in my rear view mirror, one tends to become a bit biased. I have the same dislike for mini-vans, although that's because they are usually in front of me and in my way, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 7:43 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
MtnManic wrote:
And rant.gif to those of you dissing Subie's. I've owned Mazda and Subie's, have family with Toyota and others. Subie seems no better and no worse than others. I also slow down in school zones and city limits, don't camp in the left lane or drive under the speed limit. I do, ahem, have some fun on open roads without traffic. ailgat up.gif
Nothing against you personally, but when nearly every time I am tailgated (while going the speed limit or just above) on the MLH and it's a Subie in my rear view mirror, one tends to become a bit biased. I have the same dislike for mini-vans, although that's because they are usually in front of me and in my way, lol.
What happened to being tolerant? Oh ya, that is only for smokers. rolleyes.gif

friluftsliv
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 10:58 am 
I am plenty tolerant, until it happens again, and again, and again, and yes once again in a short period of time and ALL Subaru drivers. I now hate them just as much as mini-vans. mad.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 13, 2016 6:12 pm 
boot up wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Don't forget to add your "You kids get off my lawn!!" tongue.gif
Thankfully I don't really have a lawn...but they better stay the hell off my gravel or there will be trouble!

MtnManic

MtnManic
PostFri Apr 15, 2016 8:22 pm 
Since when has an misspoken word or simple mistake equate to being a troll? rant.gif So I used the wrong part in my post above - there were carburetors in cars when I was growing up. smile.gif Turned out it was the cat converter (under warranty!!!), then some part attached to it. Then, when it wasn't quite running right, they figured out the ignition coil module needed replacing. Luckily the engine light came on when the mechanic was on the freeway and he was able to grab an check engine code relating to the emissions. It didn't stall for him, though. Price-wise, I ended up out a lot less money than I would have otherwise. Federal warranty on the cat converter is 8 yrs/80,000 miles and I was just under 7 yrx and just over 50,000 miles. As nice as that Crosstrek was, I definitely have better vision in my Forester.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.