Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Apr 15, 2016 9:15 pm 
MtnManic wrote:
Since when has an misspoken word or simple mistake equate to being a troll? rant.gif So I used the wrong part in my post above - there were carburetors in cars when I was growing up. smile.gif
He is just really sensitive about being "Successfully Trolled"...he is good, so it doesn't happen often. Cool that you found a good mechanic who was able to pinpoint the problem, many consumers have no idea how difficult and imperfect diagnosing vehicle issues is. This causes many misunderstandings and much angst, it is definitely not easy or an "exact science".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostFri Apr 15, 2016 11:25 pm 
Look at WHO is driving the Subarus'. Generally old farts(like me) and why Subaru's are called the old farts car. Needs a normal car, but pretend they have an off-road vehicle need, so they justify the purchase to remind them about the days when they were young and dumb... In the end they have neither a normal high MPG commuter car, nor a true off-road vehicle(Forester is the exception~sorta) as none have clearance for driving on anything other than nicely manicured dirt roads. Otherwise they turn into poor road graders. May as well just drive a Ford Focus and get better fuel mileage while grading the bad dirt roads. Oh, and with OBD computers/readers, not knowing what is wrong with an engine in the modern world is a near impossibility. Stores days worth of codes. Between the codes and voltmeter to test your MAP/Oxygen sensors etc If someone says they do not know, either they are a) lying, or b) stupid so you should c) get your butt to a different mechanic ASAP.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Apr 16, 2016 9:18 am 
Sure, it's MUCH easier to diagnose vehicle issues than in the past, but I still say it's definitely NOT an exact science. Unless things have changed drastically in the 18 months since my mechanic passed away? He was a mechanic for nearly 50 years and he always said that the diagnostic aspect was the most difficult. I think it's a lot like going to a doctor with a mysterious ailment, it's not always easy to pinpoint the specific problem.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 16, 2016 11:18 am 
Most haters say Subaru drivers are too slow. Funny that now they say we are speed demons or something. There is no limit to the crazy nonsense people will post here, based on nothing. dizzy.gif Jeff's mechanic must be a crook. That's more than I paid for my Subaru, plus all maintenance and repairs for 12 years.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Apr 16, 2016 6:11 pm 
Interesting theory that Subarus are the new fogey-mobile. If true, could it be due to their excellent safety ratings? btw, an Outback has as much or more clearance than some SUVs. imo, Suby drivers are pretty slow. Must be something about the Mountain Loop Highway that attracts crazy Suby drivers (along with other sorts of crazies).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Apr 16, 2016 8:35 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Must be something about the Mountain Loop Highway that attracts crazy Suby drivers (along with other sorts of crazies).
Yes, they are scared...so they drive faster.
Slugman wrote:
Most haters say Subaru drivers are too slow. Funny that now they say we are speed demons or something. There is no limit to the crazy nonsense people will post here, based on nothing. dizzy.gif
Maybe you actually are a comedian. lol.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 5:32 am 
Jeff keep us posted on how it turned out.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 7:55 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
Suby drivers are pretty slow. Must be something about the Mountain Loop Highway that attracts crazy Suby drivers (along with other sorts of crazies).
lol.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 6:26 pm 
Going older isn't a bad option if you can get a mechanic who cares more about the car than the paycheck. They're out there, you just need to ask around..... Namadic Alpinist Piscator hooked me up with this Honda Guru years ago. He was a magician, didn't cost an arm and a leg either. No fancy shop so no fancy bill. He was older and I think he was retired. He was in it for the hobby. If he couldn't find OEM he'd rebuild it. I think he's out of the biz now and I've moved on to Sciota. Anyone here still drive older Subies? 1980's vintage? Timing chain instead of belt and being able to shift OUT of AWD into front wheel drive could be an arguable benefit. Take that 5 grand and restore a vintage 'Ru?! Gets you there. I've read if you do some mods to them you can increase their mpg quite a bit. Older Subaru's didn't get that great mpg unless maybe the 2wd hatch. Newer Subaru's still come stock with a skid plate?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 8:09 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Timing chain instead of belt and being able to shift OUT of AWD into front wheel drive could be an arguable benefit. Take that 5 grand and restore a vintage 'Ru?! Gets you there. I've read if you do some mods to them you can increase their mpg quite a bit. Older Subaru's didn't get that great mpg
New Subies have a timing chain, more guts, and better gas mileage than the old subies. And that is better gas mileage in AWD than the old ones did in 2WD mode. Anyone that has driven a 2wd car on a gravel or wet road, then driven the same road in a recent Subie AWD, would have no urge to go back to 2WD. Now if you are just in it to put out more particulates and have less safety features, it might be worth dumping the money into an ancient one.

friluftsliv
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 11:58 pm 
boot up wrote:
Subie AWD, would have no urge to go back to 2WD
If you are trying to shave 30 seconds off your best time to the trail head time, then you are correct... fencing.gif Or, you could wind up like my sister in law when she spun out her 4wd subie into a tree... party.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 10:12 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Nothing against you personally, but when nearly every time I am tailgated (while going the speed limit or just above) on the MLH and it's a Subie in my rear view mirror, one tends to become a bit biased.
I resemble that remark... and just wait for an area to pass when appropriate. Normally if I am in front of someone who is riding me with passing not a real option I will just pull over and let them go by. I don't care if I am doing the speed limit, or 10 over or 20 over.. If they want to go faster, have at it. Life's too short to be getting stressed out while driving to or from a hike and having someone riding me from behind is not exactly relaxing. I appreciate the same. I've been on both ends of the spectrum.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 10:16 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
imo, Suby drivers are pretty slow. Must be something about the Mountain Loop Highway that attracts crazy Suby drivers (along with other sorts of crazies).
I'm a Subaru driver and definitely don't resemble that remark. I had to get the 6 cylinder outback... My pet peeve is with Camrys and Prius's... They always seem slow... Must be a Toyota thing... Funny I don't see to find too many Subaru drivers that are annoyingly slow. If so it's usually an older one.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 10:18 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Older Subaru's didn't get that great mpg unless maybe the 2wd hatch.
I didn't even know they had 2WD Subaru's.. I guess I didn't really start looking at them until a couple of years ago. A 2WD Subaru is kind of like what's the point.. I'd probably get something else. It's the superior Subaru AWD that let me in that direction.

iron

iron
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 am 
just got a letter in the mail from subaru. i will need to get a photo and post it, but i think this article covers it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2017/07/07/facing-complaints-subaru-offers-extended-warranties-on-1-5-million-vehicles/#74a0aa5979dc basically, their CVT sucks and people are reporting issues and now subaru is trying to cover their ass with extended warranties. from my experience, the CVT has been suspect all along. we only have 22k miles on it in the 3 years we've owned it, so our day of reckoning is likely delayed a bit. but, it'll come and we'll be outside the warranty period and be screwed.