Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anyone with sleep issues please read
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 10:17 pm 
BPJ - hope you know I'm not trying to belittle you or make light of this situation. I'm glad you've found something that's helping. I was just struck by the device's similarity in appearance to a stud finder and thought I'd inject a little levity.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 12:41 am 
My sleep troubles stem from mouth breathing because my nostrils are too narrow and tend to flapper-valve shut on the inhale. I found a daring plastic surgeon to do a nose job that made a75% improvement (he took cartilage out of my ear lobes and crammed it up my nose). That was huge. If you have this issue, their are several plastic gadgets that hold your nostrils open. Had I found these earlier in life, it would have been a life-changing event, no BLEEP. I carry them with me everywhere and always have spares. Cheap, longlasting. Cost:benefit ratio is almost zero. Nosovent is my fave but try some others too Before you try a CPAP machine, a simple mandibular splint might hold your lower jaw forward so it doesn't sag back, allowing the back of your tongue to block your airway, causing sleep apnea. I'm gonna try making one with thermoplastic -- just like a tooth guard with an airway hole through it. When I was drinking alcohol, I'd have a few (3) beers in the evening and then awaken at 2-3AM when the alcohol wore off. Melatonin may or may not work; it's a least a cheap placebo. I like the studfinder. After she's done with me, I sleep rather well. 'specially if she uses a framing hammer.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 6:28 am 
many menopausal women might benefit from the OPs device. Now that I have paid the government their "fair share" my spare money is tanked, but I will certainly look in to this device as a safe, tested and possible solution to sleep and emotional energy issues

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 7:58 am 
contour5

contour5
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 11:38 am 
Quote:
DIY CES stimulator
Er, rabbits and rutabagas- 2 very different animals... The linked do-it-yerself device is actually a Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) device. The Fisher Wallace device is a CES (cranial electrotherapy stimulator) device. It is somewhat similar to tdcs in that you use wet sponge electrodes but it is different in that it uses alternating current that pulse at specific frequencies. Unlike tDCS, CES has been around for more than half a century, has a substantial body of solid scientific research behind it, as well as an unblemished safety track record. CES manufacturers are registered and monitored by the FDA and are allowed to make claims for their device for the treatment of anxiety, depression, and insomnia. CES devices use a considerably lower current (micro) along with (usually proprietary) some kind of waveform (i.e.-square waveform vs a rounded wave). While the tDCS devices use up to 2 milliamps of straight DC current. Fisher Wallace and AlphaStim are CES devices that use similar low current but supposedly produce different wave patterns. three biologically synchronous waveforms: 15,000 Hz, 15 Hz, and 500 Hz PARAMETER NOMINAL VALUE +/-10%
Output Amplitude into 1.000 Ohms 4.0 volts Pk.
Rate 15/500/15.000 hz
Pulse Width 33 microseconds
Maximum Charge per Pulse .13 microcoulombs
On Time per Burst 5O milliseconds
Off Time per Burst 16.7milliseconds Waveform: Asymmetrical bipolar square wave with double modulation. This waveform contains 25 bursts of 15 pulses each. Each pulse is 33.3 microsecond duration in a pulse period of 66.7 microseconds. Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) is a form of neurostimulation which uses constant, low current delivered to the brain area of interest via electrodes on the scalp. It was found that in cathodal stimulation, a current density of 142.9 A/m2 delivering a charge density of 52400 C/m2 or higher caused a brain lesion in the rat. Increasing voltage substantially will lead to heart failure. There's currently a sort of craze for do-it-yourself tDCS, and all sorts of kits, devices and plans are available. It's largely unregulated, and severely lacking in established protocols. Randomly blowing electricity into your head is an extremely dangerous proposition!

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 11:45 am 
Just get a dog to snoozle in your ear at night. Canines deliver good vibes at 15,000 Hz, 15 Hz, and 500 Hz with a parameter nominal value of +/-10%
Output Amplitude @ 1.000 Ohms 4.0 volts with a Pk.
Rate 15/500/15.000 hz
Pulse Width. 33 microseconds
Maximum Charge per Pulse .13 microcoulombs. 
On Time per Burst 5O milliseconds
Off Time per Burst 16.7milliseconds with an asymmetrical bipolar square wave with double modulation. This waveform contains 25 bursts of 15 pulses each. Each pulse is 33.3 microsecond duration in a pulse period of 66.7 microseconds. This doesn't sound like much, but they do it all night long for free. All you have to do is feed 'em. Yeah, maybe sometimes you gotta get up in the middle of the night to let 'em outside for a minute or two. But it's worth it. They keep you warm when the sleeping bag is soaked, too.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 12:17 pm 
yeah, whatever

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 3:19 pm 
IMPORTANT I thought I had somethning uniquely wrong with me, so when I saw a "Sleep Disturbance and Aging" seminar here at UW, I signed right up. This guy put up all his graphs & stuff, and had me convinced within 15 minutes that I'm quite normal. As we age, many of us spend less time in deep sleep, more time in REM (Rapid Eye Movement, dreasm sleep), and wake up unrefreshed because we're not getting enough stage 4 deep sleep. The bad news: nobody knows what to do about it. Something going on in our brains. The good news: after about age 62, it allegedly stops getting worse. I would caution against Ambien because it is an addictive narcotic, but you can take half a pill, or 1/3 or 1/4, and perhaps do that only when you awaken like at 2AM. Meditation (as opposed to medication) is allegedly helpful. My sister claims remarkable results from some kind of biofeedback thing (I know little about it). There is a bewildering variety of anti-snoring nose clips (nasal dilators) and mouthpieces. There is a hereditary disease called Familial Fatal Insomnia, wherein affected individuals lose the ability to sleep, and they die. AFAIK, sleep is still a mystery, and if you want to win your Nobel prize, go for it.