Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > RIP Prince
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostFri Apr 22, 2016 11:13 pm 
The "no disrespect intended" comments are rather curious. Sorta like stopping in at a random funeral to talk some trash about the dearly departed in front of their grieving friends and family. I don't really get what the point is. I'm not a huge fan of modern R'n'B Dance Music or Commercial Funk/Soul Pop, but I find it enjoyable enough to listen to, particularly at work where the alternative is usually "classic" rock that I've heard 200,000 times already. Usually they'll allow me an hour of screaming gutbucket blues guitar or thumping, bass-heavy 70s roots reggae once in a while, so it all kind of balances out in the end. I've got ear plugs I can use when the Bee Gees or Hall and Oats start causing my stomach to churn. Prince wrote so many hit songs that he ended up giving about half of them away to other musicians in exchange for writer's credit; often under ridiculous made-up names like "Alexander Nevermind" or "Azifwekare ". I suppose it's easy to be generous like that after you've sold over 100 million records under your own name.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Apr 22, 2016 11:44 pm 
^^ up.gif up.gif ^^ I'll admit that Prince's music isn't really my cup of tea for daily listening, but I recognize musical genius when I see it, and losing a talent like his makes the world a poorer place. Maybe you don't "get" his music, but the fact that he was so respected by other musicians and so highly regarded in his community speaks volumes to the kind of person, and talent, he was. Prince wrote this:
And this is a pretty epic performance that showcases his skill on the guitar, though he could play many, many other instruments (wait for it)

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 23, 2016 10:39 am 
This is one reason I never liked him, apart from the ridiculous clothes and the stupid symbol instead of a name: that his sycophantic followers attacked anyone who didn't love him. It is OK not to like Prince. Maybe he did lots of great music that I never heard, but what I did hear, I didn't like. Bubblegum pop like Manic Monday? Fingernails on a chalkboard like Nothing Compares to You? Dreary tedious crap like Purple Rain? No thanks. The '80s was a cultural and musical desert. No doubt a large factor in my opinion is my age. I never liked pop music back in the day either, I preferred songs with a strong social content, not crybabies whining over losing some girl or some boy. One last point: it is just as much of a complete waste of time to go and on about how great he was as it is to say "meh". It is all totally pointless opinion.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Apr 23, 2016 10:58 am 
Sluggo - the point I'm trying to make is that while you may not find a musician's (or any artist, really) particular style of music to your taste, it is still possible to recognize their talent and realize that the loss of that person represents a loss to the community of artists and musicians worldwide. I'm not a Sinead O'connor fan and while that song is not something that is in my musical collection, I can recognize the talent it took to compose it, as opposed to anything formulaic and generic like pretty much anything Justin Bieber has done. The second video showcases how his talent is not limited to just the kind of music he's known best for. Coming into a thread where people are lamenting the loss of a favorite artist and throwing out the "I didnt' like him/her so I don't really care" bomb serves what purpose, exactly?

contour5

contour5
PostSat Apr 23, 2016 11:11 am 
Quote:
The '80s was a cultural and musical desert.
Wow! What a lot of sour grapes sluggy!
Quote:
I preferred songs with a strong social content
I guess you somehow missed the vibrant punk scene of the early 80s- one of the most politically charged genres of music to rear up since the folk music craze of the 1930s. Mainstream FM radio was pretty lame, and has been since, with endless retreads of 60s and 70s sounds, but the resurgence of blues in the early 80s, along with the massive punk explosion, the tail end of roots reggae- there's always been a ton of great music outside of the corporate commercial radio scene.
Quote:
ridiculous clothes and the stupid symbol instead of a name
Sure, Prince Nelson's costumes were often silly, but that's entertainment. The symbol in place of a name was a rather clever way of breaking out of a stale recording contract...
Quote:
his sycophantic followers attacked anyone who didn't love him.
Who's attacking anybody? I did point out that it's a rememberance thread for an artist who recently passed away, which makes it a bit unseemly to start tossing insults and casting aspersions. But whatever. It's just music- you can listen and enjoy, you can ignore it, or you can go on a big rant about it, I guess.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Apr 23, 2016 12:02 pm 
In general I'm not too fond of 80s culture. The best I can say for the time is that it produced a few really stellar action movies. When it comes to music I have a hard time finding much in the way of positives about the decade; most of my favorite bands had their hay-days either before 1980 or after 1990. If it wasn't for independent artists making their careers on Youtube I would consider the past 10 years to be almost as bad as the 80s - if not worse! I guess one thing I could say for Prince is that he didn't use auto-tune and could actually play an instrument unlike so many of todays talentless pop stars.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
contour5

contour5
PostSat Apr 23, 2016 12:44 pm 
Quote:
most of my favorite bands had their hay-days either before 1980 or after 1990
Huh. You missed out on some great music! I went to live shows in SF and the East Bay every single night from 1980 to 1985. Blues, punk, reggae, hardcore, rockabilly, new wave pop and dance trash, R'n'B, jazz, a dozen different kinds of African music; there was so much great music it was hard to decide which shows to see. I remember roaring across town on the motorcycles from one show to another, and hanging out in spooky, illegal after hours venues to catch bands like X, the Stray Cats, Steel Pulse, Dead Kennedys, Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters, Bad Brains, The Descendants, Hollywood Fats, William Clarke, Rod Piazza, Burning Spear, The Heptones- hundreds and hundreds of fantastic live acts. I feel like I must have been living in some kind of parallel universe. The 80s was a fantastic musical era for me.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Apr 23, 2016 1:13 pm 
I graduated HS in '86 so that was a very influential period for me. I was a metalhead back then and still like a lot of what was produced back then - early Judas Priest, Accept, early Metallica, Pantera, Accept, etc. Back then my musical focus was very narrow but grew much broader as I aged and I can look back and listen to a lot of other bands from that era now like Dire Straights, U2, The Cure, INXS, Devo, The Clash, etc. I dunno, it just seems strange to me that people bother talking trash about what other people like when it's such a subjective matter of taste. why waste the energy? It's like "thumbs down" on Youtube for music videos. if you don't like it, why bother voting on it - spend your time and energy on stuff you do like.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 25, 2016 8:18 am 
As Wolf Blitzer said, "All of us remember Purple Haze and what that did for the world of music" and who can forget Raspberry Bidet doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn