Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Si area towing frenzy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue May 03, 2016 1:46 pm 
Be aware - and tell all your friends - the no parking signs in the vicinity of the Mt. Si hiking areas are to be taken seriously. Upon return from our Kamikaze/Teneriffe explorations yesterday, we found three different parties in the parking lot whose cars had been towed. One group had only been gone for two hours. We gave everyone who needed it a ride into town. One party's car was still perched comfortably on the trailer of the tow truck that had spirited it away. Towing fee was >$200, and it's what, a 5 mile tow? The fact there are three towing companies at the east end of town near the trailhead means business must be good.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue May 03, 2016 2:07 pm 
Was this at the Teneriffe trailhead (a.k.a. the school bus turnaround)? If so, then yes, they are serious about making sure the school buses can turn around.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue May 03, 2016 2:13 pm 
Yes. But I've read of it happening near the Little Si trailhead as well. Two small lots that are very often full tempt folks to park along the road, where no parking signs abound.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 03, 2016 3:23 pm 
$200 for a 5 mile tow is cheap.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

zimmertr
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue May 03, 2016 3:42 pm 
I just turned around from parking at Tenerife last week because it was full to the brim and the 'no parking signs' were so plentiful, I did not risk it. Glad I didn't gamble on that!

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue May 03, 2016 4:24 pm 
I got a ticket there last week, and was parked right on the border between "no parking" and "Discover Pass Required". I guess I was lucky to not have been towed. I hate to sound like a local elitist or something but things have gotten ridiculous with the recent mass influx of people into the Seattle area. A few Saturdays ago I went out to do Teneriffe as I often do as a conditioner. Nowhere to park anywhere near the trailhead. Any spot along the road that didn't have a no parking sign was taken and a local near the trailhead was charging 5 bucks a car to park on their property. I used to hate working weekends, now I'm eternally grateful for it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 03, 2016 6:23 pm 
They were madly ticketing and towing at the Chirco trailhead to Poo Poo Point on Sunday when we drove by.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostTue May 03, 2016 6:26 pm 
^^ true...I've gotten to the point where I don't even consider doing anything hiking or gathering related on the weekends. As a local I already have issues with having this mass influx shoved in my face. Fortunately i have a flexible schedule and work most weekends.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue May 03, 2016 6:44 pm 
Consider the irony of paying for a Discover Pass, then not being able to park in a Discover Pass lot. Similar situation exists for Sno Parks.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue May 03, 2016 8:04 pm 
Mass influx? If you hate it so much, leave, no one will miss you. Everyone whines about others doing a hike, why not whine while looking in a mirror? There is zero "irony" in a full parking lot. It is just full. Or maybe you think a Discover pass is a magical parking spot creating device?

zimmertr
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostTue May 03, 2016 8:30 pm 
A lot of topics in this forum lately make me appreciate eastern Washington.

whitebark

whitebark
PostTue May 03, 2016 9:22 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
I got a ticket there last week, and was parked right on the border between "no parking" and "Discover Pass Required".
Is weekday parking even possible at the Teneriffe trailhead? It is not clear if it is o.k. to park close to the gate and away from the bus turnaround.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 03, 2016 11:34 pm 
mountainsandsound wrote:
A lot of topics in this forum lately make me appreciate eastern Washington.
Plus the fact that the green, slimy, arrogant one does not reside there. wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue May 03, 2016 11:52 pm 
Common Slugman, don't pretend like the population explosion around here isn't blatantly obvious. I grew up around here, as most of us on nwhikers probably have, and although I do have to accept all the crazy traffic and crazy crowds, I certainly don't have to like it. Many of my friends, myself included, are considering moving to Skagit or Whatcom. Wish it was that easy with work and life and such.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed May 04, 2016 12:52 am 
It could be worse. The island of Java, smaller than Washington State, in Indonesia used to have a population of around 5 million in the 1800's. It now has a population of over 145Million. S. Korea with a population of 50+ Million has an area roughly equal to Western Washington. Washington's population is going to boom. Good climate, has room to grow, abundant water, food, and jobs. Everyone is sprinting out of N. California, SanFran to Oakland area as fast as possible as well.