Forum Index > Partners > Partner for ~5 day backpacking trip late July
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
quasimodo

quasimodo
PostTue Apr 26, 2016 1:26 pm 
Hi all! I'm in the military stationed in South Carolina right now but I'll be coming home for leave July 22-August 2. Any time in that date range should work; I'll be visiting family in Vancouver/Portland when I'm not on the trail. I've been planning a backpacking trip with my best friend for a while but she's backing out and I need someone to go with! I've done a lot of hiking and camping but this will be my first backpacking trip. A normal day hike for me is about 10 miles, but keep in mind I've been in low country for a while and I don't know what changing elevation and a heavy pack will do to me. I don't have a hike picked out but I want to take about 5 days and take time to appreciate the views, take lots of pictures and maybe stay put for a full camp day on a lake. Maybe 40 miles max. I'd be most comfortable if you're between 18-30 years old but I'm open to any invitations! Single person or group, experienced or newer than me doesn't change much. I'm female, 20 years old.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
General ****

General ****
PostMon May 09, 2016 9:23 pm 
Hey people, give the lady a break and give her some replies.... please. I have contacted her through PM, and am a little disappointed in the lack of responses by others. Give our military the respect it deserves, and at least say hello and welcome her to NWHikers; she's defending, (our) country, our freedom, and our rights. Thank you, General ****

The General primarily backpacks solo.
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostTue May 10, 2016 11:26 am 
First of all, thanks for your service. up.gif Since you are visiting in Vancouver I would Highly suggest Reflection Lake in the Eagle Cap Wilderness! You can reach Reflection Lake in 1 day. If I remember right it's about 8 Mi. in and the trail isn't that hard. You could spend a week in there exploring all the Lakes that are all around. + if you camp at Reflection Lake you can climb Eagle Cap Peak. Which is a walk up easy! Would like to see someone go with, being this is your first time overnight. And in case you need help. tongue.gif It's a beautiful place, and if you fish? Superb!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue May 10, 2016 11:42 am 
That's a good suggestion Lead Dog. Quick correction though, it's Mirror Lake at the foot of Eagle Cap. Long drive, too. Plenty of great destinations that are closer in the Cascades in both Oregon and Washington.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostTue May 10, 2016 1:09 pm 
Correct. That's right doh.gif That was the only place I have been to down South aside from Mt Adams. It was worth the drive, and we left from Kent, drove to the trailhead and hiked in to Mirror. Was a long day for sure. If you know of other closer, nice places, please relate.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 10, 2016 6:23 pm 
Ft. Jackson? Alpha Ten One. Top of Tank Hill, summer of 1983! Basic Training. The best worse two months of my life! lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
General ****

General ****
PostWed May 11, 2016 12:17 pm 
quasimodo, Yes, I agree with Lead Dog, first, thank you for your service in our military. I am sure, something can be arranged for a backpacking trip for you during your leave in the Vancouver area. Some areas that are in that area are Indian Heaven, Goat Rocks Wilderness and The William O Douglas Wilderness, adjacent to Mt Rainier. All three are within a 2 -3 hour driving distance from Vancouver. Is your preference high country lakes, views, wild flowers and / or wildlife? For example, Goat Rocks Wilderness has some of the most beautiful wildflowers and views in the Pacific Northwest, and I once had 38 Mountain Goats, (the big white ones with the black horns), feed and bed down with- in 200 feet of my tent; while Marmots whistle at you as you watch the sun go down. Anyway, our objective will be to see that you get to go on that backpacking trip this summer. General **** PS: If my sons. (both honorable men) are on this outing, you will have the full support, and company, of 2nd Battalion, 75th Rangers, US Army (Retired). ,

The General primarily backpacks solo.
quasimodo

quasimodo
PostWed May 11, 2016 7:33 pm 
Thats where my mom went for basic! Not me though. Naval weapons station, goose creek.

quasimodo

quasimodo
PostWed May 11, 2016 7:37 pm 
Im pretty interested in checking out wildflowers but mountain views are my #1 priority! Keep me posted on your guys' summer plans! I've talked to several people who are maybes. I will be going one way or another smile.gif Goat rocks sounds incredible!

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSun May 15, 2016 4:24 pm 
From what I saw of the Goat Rocks from Gilbert last year I definitely want to go back this summer.