Forum Index > Gear Talk > Old school hiking boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 3:11 pm 
0321recon,you are right,but even an M1 tank need new plugs and an oil change,now and then,right?

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Recon

Recon
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm 
Roger that!
Only honoring what's past as good too.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
overmywaders

overmywaders
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 5:07 pm 
Past?? Thankfully, those leather tanks have a longer life than M1's (no moving parts). With little exposed stitching, quality components, and quality workmanship, our old Pivetta's and Vasques plow on. Oh, and Joe's Limmer's.

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 6:52 pm 
Yes guy's,it goes to show,if aint broke,dont fix it!That saying,"they don't make em like they use to",ell they don't,thats why we should pay respect to those true craftsmen that STILL make em like they use to. And mine probably will out last an M1 tank,if I don't get shot in the foot. tongue.gif "Keep on Tuck'n"

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Creaky Knees

Creaky Knees
PostWed Oct 22, 2008 6:26 pm 
I bought my boots from this gentleman. http://www.hikingbootshandcrafted.com They're definitely Old School. They fit great (made for my feet), perfect craftsmanship, supportive and heavy. Everything you'd possibly want in an Old School boot. smile.gif

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostWed Oct 22, 2008 7:18 pm 
old school boots
Hey,I sent my measruring kit in to Charls VanGorkom awhile back,and i'm due to get them next june/july.So,you say there great boots right?And your right,they are DEFIANTLY,old school,but my God the price.But then,you have know my feet/ankles. Regards,James

Creaky Knees

Creaky Knees
PostWed Oct 22, 2008 11:21 pm 
Re: old school boots
kraitcatcher wrote:
Hey,I sent my measruring kit in to Charls VanGorkom awhile back,and i'm due to get them next june/july.So,you say there great boots right?And your right,they are DEFIANTLY,old school,but my God the price.But then,you have know my feet/ankles. Regards,James
There's only one reason to pay that kind of money for boots---------------UGLY, hard to fit feet. And I got 'em. I bought my boots three years ago. The wait was only four months, and they were $650 then. I thought that was crazy, but it seems like an REI garage sale price compared to what they cost now! I definitely take care of them the best I can and intend for them to last as long as I do. The design allows for easy resoling, but I don't wear mine on the pavement, just the mountains.

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostThu Oct 23, 2008 3:07 am 
Yea,buddy you got that right! a two year wait,and a price that would bring tears to a glass eye,BUT,perfection andcomfort ar gaurenteed,and they will only be worn in the mounties and trails,and if I travel to a far away hiking destination,the boots go on the plane with ME! I too have some very serious feet and ankle issues,but I'm not about to give up hiking and backpacking because of foot pain,So,I took the plunge. It wont be to bad,I opened a special acount and I pay into it like lay a way, docent seem to sting that much hockeygrin.gif Take care

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostThu Oct 11, 2012 9:15 pm 
Hey Cliff,its kraitcatcher,getting back on the site to get some info on the Northern Cascades for a trip next spring.Just looking over my favorite thread "old school boots" to se if any thing new. I am curently rocking two brands of old schoolers,a pair of Racheils Rtondos that I got here after I lost my Montangas to Katrina,I just resoled those.and a pair of Gronells Stevilios,that im sending to Dave Page to replace a D ring that broke last winter in the Smokies after a dunking in a freezing creek and a two mile hike in them,Old schoolers are great dry,but murder when their soaked. Any way,got any advice on the northern Cascades? not looking to bag any peaks just back pack and see lots of fur forest.Take care. James ps. I would like a pair of VanGorkums,but not at $1600.00 and a year wait eek.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Oct 12, 2012 4:51 pm 
most boots that are custom like limmers are 5-800$ a pair??....though if ya got 1600$ ...why not... up.gif

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostFri Oct 12, 2012 8:10 pm 
Yea,that sounds like a great idea,do it like layaway.I think Im going to take the plunge too,I mean you are getting perfection and a life time guarantee and im like you,they go on the plane with me if I travel,I cary my other boots on board now,so you know those will get special care.I got bad feet and ankle problems as well from a 30 foot fall back in 89' docs said I wouldnt walk again without a cane, hah! Any way man,keep in touch either here or email me kraitcatcher@yahoo.com . James

Torleif

Torleif
PostWed May 18, 2016 12:45 pm 
Hi. I have been looking for a good vintage pair of norwegian welted boots on ebay. Just bought som Montrail boots. Mazama model I think. I have been googeling the brand, but they seem to only produce running shoes now. Does anyone have any experience with theese? It says made in italy, but Montrail is US company I think. How do thees boots compare to other brands like Asolo, Raichle, Scarpa etc. I was looking for a pair of Asolo Yukon size 11, but no luck. The Montrail looks simelar built. Also the Alico Guide looks rugged, but it seems like a more mountaneering boot, with 3/4 shank. I mainly hike in the forest/mountains of Norway, on and off trail. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwqYgyzqhn9GUGhSN3YtU3dZYkk&usp=sharing

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostWed May 18, 2016 1:45 pm 
Have you looked at the other Alico boots. Lighter weight but still norwegian welt type In the USA http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alico-summit-backpacking-hiking-boots-leather-for-men~p~61270/?filterString=mens-boots~d~137%2Falico~b~1143%2F

Torleif

Torleif
PostWed May 18, 2016 1:57 pm 
Yes. Ordered a pair of Summits also. Hope they arrives on friday. They look a little lighter than the Montrail, and I hope they will last a long time. The ting I like with the Montrail is the 3 mm leather and the design of the tounge. I am preparied for a long break in time. Hope the Montrail is in the quality range of vintage Asolo, Raichle and Lowa.

mike

mike
PostWed May 18, 2016 4:33 pm 
I have the Summits. Not much break-in time. Never any blisters. Add a superfeet insole. Stock insoles suck. Took my belt sander to the heel to add a little rocker. Don't wear 'em much anymore since I picked up a pair of Asolos that weigh ½ as much.