Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat May 21, 2016 4:58 pm 
Geography Nerd wrote:
In the past I believe you've mentioned you only use GPS occasionally to validate position. If this is still the case do you use the inReach for this or carry a separate GPS? Also do you keep it on at all times or just turn it on to check in?
My frequency of GPSr use ranges from never turning it on to relatively frequent checking of position via distance & bearing to stored waypoints. My inReach stays turned off in my pack most of the day. I turn on the inReach only for communicating, usually at camp, sometimes at breaks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat May 21, 2016 8:16 pm 
I have owned an Inreach SE for several years now and use it at least twice a day on all of my outings. Usually when I move or get back to a destination ok. I have to say in about 1/3 of all cases I have to step out into a semi clear area to get a good quick signal. I usually always get a signal but have had times when I had to move around a little bit. I have never tried it in a steep, narrow wooded canyon (because I haven't had to). Still I love the device.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun May 22, 2016 9:16 am 
I have the InReach SE and I use it a lot. I don't use it for the tracking, just to check in with my husband. It's been very reliable. The only thing I don't like about it is it drains the batteries really fast, so I have to take them out every time and put them in to use it. I will use it to say we've made it to our destination, or that we are at our turnaround point, or that we are running late and not to worry. I'll message him at night before bed and when we wake up to let him know we survived the night. It's great when I have a vague idea where I am going but am not sure where I'll be camping, so I can give him a general idea where we are when we leave home and then update him on our exact location when we get there. It pairs well with my iPhone to send texts, or I can use one of three pre-set messages without the phone. It paid for itself when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere on a gravel road. I was able to text my husband who called a tow truck for me. Otherwise I would have had to rely on the kindness of strangers. Makes my husband much more secure about me heading out all the time. I feel the low monthly fee is worth it; when I've gone over the allotted number of messages I can send in a month, it's pretty cheap to send additional messages. It's simple enough to use that my kids can figure it out to send an SOS if they need to. I've used it in many different types of terrain and vegetation. In narrow canyons with giant old growth, it does take longer to acquire a signal, but I've always been able to get a message through with patience. Thunder Creek comes to mind in the North Cascades. It just took maybe 20 minutes to get a message through. But that is a rare occasion. I seem to remember my husband buying it for me on sale; I don't think it's that uncommon.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Damian

Damian
PostSun May 22, 2016 9:39 am 
A couple folks have mentioned they pair their InReach with an iPhone for texting. While this might be a preferred interface, you do not need to pair with an iPhone to send texts whether they are pre-written or unique msgs typed real time. Also, have found the battery will last for days with the unit left on. Still smart to ration the battery however.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun May 22, 2016 4:03 pm 
Damien, that might be true with the newer models, but with the older bottom-of-the-line InReach, you can only send one of 3 preset messages or SOS. Or your family can track you, but there is no screen or keyboard, so you can't track yourself. I haven't researched them in awhile, but they might not even sell my version any more. The benefit at the time was that it was a cheaper model, so if you already had a smart phone it was less of a cost than buying the model with the screen. I think there is something wrong with my unit that it sucks the batteries dry in a weekend even if turned completely off. They had a software fix several years ago for that issue, and it went away for awhile, but I'm having problems again. I'm hoping it doesn't mean it's getting too old and needs replacing. frown.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun May 22, 2016 6:33 pm 
I use mine all summer on a single charge and by late fall it is still around 60%. But I go ahead and charge it up anyway.

Damian

Damian
PostSun May 22, 2016 7:41 pm 
Thanks for the clarification HM up.gif

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue May 24, 2016 9:53 pm 
My inreach battery does not last for more than a couple of day hikes. I have to recharge it for every other day hike if I leave it on. I wish the battery lasted longer. Both units I have had were like that. frown.gif

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Jun 01, 2016 4:20 pm 
+1 for the inreach. The 2 way text messages are great. Keeps the loved ones informed, and I have my computer decode weather forecasts and text me the results... a nice plus for long trips.

Bronco

Bronco
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 8:40 am 
Does anyone have experience with the Delorme weather forecast messaging? http://inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-weather.php Not much info as to the actual source of the forecasts but seems like a great concept.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 9:10 am 
Bronco wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the Delorme weather forecast messaging? http://inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-weather.php Not much info as to the actual source of the forecasts but seems like a great concept.
I hadn't heard of forecast.io before. But it's an interesting discovery. Here's is a list of their data sources; http://forecast.io/raw/

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 9:20 am 
Bronco wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the Delorme weather forecast messaging?
I've tried it a couple times. Basic provides only superficial forecast, but could be helpful if you don't have another source. For long trips I ask a friend to text me with a brief forecast in response to my SMS check-in from camp each night.

Bronco

Bronco
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 11:39 am 
Thanks for the info, it appears the Inreach forecast is for the closest city, like Marblemount for NCNP which would be drastically different if you're on a higher elevation peak. Probably end up doing what Steve suggests.

KevinDo

KevinDo
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 4:38 pm 
If you like the NWS forecast, you can get the forecast for you location using Wx2. The NWS area forecast for my area is generally better than the forecast io one.

Luc

Luc
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 9:50 am 
Good thread, and like the og poster, I use my hcx to crosscheck my map/visual navigation or "go-to" features. You may recall my advocating for a sat phone, and while it absolutely is not a plb it actually has been better for me on the communication topic. For several reasons. One is that I only use them on long solo trips, so the rental cost beats buying one or an inreach (I have typically borrowed my dad's inreach.). Secondly, we are a text-y family and I find that the UX/UI of the 2way units (incl sat phone texting) is WAY time consuming and a poor UX. So, I've found that I can get the weather forecast by phone, check in on the family and provide my status a lot faster by sat phone than the 2ways. People might think that it removes you from the wilderness experience more than the 2ways, but for me, spending more time on the trail and less fiddling with the gadget keeps me more immersed. I've had near-equal connection compared to 2ways. I have no solid replacement for the big red button, and maybe having avoided disasters so far gives me a unrealistic perspective of safety/risk, but I do believe focused decision making is my best tool out there so I opt for an actual chat. It also came in handy last year getting direct fire beta from rangers while in the okanogan bc.

GNGSTR