Forum Index > Trail Talk > From Cutthroats to East Boardman Lake?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 25, 2016 8:59 pm 
I'm looking at a sketched map from 1974 or 1975 of DNR's Bald Mountain Ridge trail and proposed feeder trails from Beaver Plant and Cutthroat Lakes. The map shows a trail from Cutthroat to E Boardman (not Boardman - I mean East Boardman). Has anyone seen that trail? I can't tell if it's a proposed trail (that was never built) or if it was an existing trail when the map was drawn. I've only been to Cutthroat twice and didn't do any exploring to know if there's an obvious trail and everyone but me has been on it, and that this might be a stupid question.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed May 25, 2016 10:05 pm 
I'm looking forward to an answer from someone that's been there, done that. I'd like to walk that trail if it exists.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 25, 2016 10:29 pm 
I asked this same question last year and received a bit of a vague answer. However, we tried to head west and a bit north off trail from the lower lake, the bushwhack was knarly and after maybe 3/4 mile we came to a high point and saw a lake down below, but the going looked steep and brutal. As I recall, someone said the old trail is a bit east of the lower Cutthroat lake and that the trail heads north and then west, probably try it again this summer.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 25, 2016 10:37 pm 
I might have to head over there too. Totally intrigued by Ashland to Bald and Cutthroats as well. I know it's abandoned and a major pain in the ass, but that's OK. Pain in the ass is my middle name. Wait. that doesn't sound right. huh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 25, 2016 10:51 pm 
Here's the map. It's just a sketch from a 1974 or 74 publication called Pacific Search, about the trail system, so its not very detailed or clear. Not sure what the splat is on the upper right of the map. A dead Tribble?
Bald Mtn RIdge
Bald Mtn RIdge

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 25, 2016 11:57 pm 
From that map it appears the trail takes off from the upper lake, nearest to Bald Mt, but who knows? I hear the fishing there is good, pretty sure there are no fish in any of the Cutthroat lakes which seems kind of weird and a bit sad. frown.gif You might PM Brian Curtis, I know that he has planted fish in Bald Mt lake and also East Boardman.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cliffed Out

Cliffed Out
PostThu May 26, 2016 6:52 am 
That is correct that the trail starts close to bald mountain. There used to be a sign at the top of the trail many years ago.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu May 26, 2016 10:50 am 
Some years ago I brush bashed down to Bald Mtn Lake. The red line on the map shows my appx route. It was grim going down and grimmer coming up. If I had known about the intriguing map Kim posted I would have explored along the blue route.
View larger size in new window

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu May 26, 2016 6:24 pm 
While it's possible the splat is a dead Tribble, it more likely it's the one other contour line on the map that is outlining the upper extent of Blackjack Peak. I love the old sketch maps so thanks for that. This one actually has some parcel/property boundaries on it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 26, 2016 8:16 pm 
The white section on that map (South East) is a talus field. It goes most of the way down to BML. From BML its pretty simple to get to E. Boardman.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Paul Seibert
Paul

Paul Seibert
Paul
PostThu May 02, 2019 8:35 am 
53 years ago I lead a group of 8th graders from our YMCA to Camp for a few days at East Boardman Lake. About halfway through the hike I was questioning my judgment. But we made it there and back with only minor scrapes and bruises. Great campsite at the pinch. We started at the outlet to Boardman lake and tried to maintain elevation. Tough hike traversing a constant angle and big bolder and shale fields. We then ran into a large patch of devils club before we climbed up the steep stream to the lake. It took about three hours and some boisterous singing and engaging storytelling to keep us in good spirits.Fishing was very good. We hiked to the lake above. No fish but a half dozen mountain goats. Ten years ago I thought I would try from Island Lake. I found a well used game trail over the ridge, but it lead nowhere. I never considered approaching from Cutthroat Lake. I will see if my legs are willing this summer.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu May 02, 2019 8:53 am 
I missed this thread when it was first posted. It's an easy route from lower Cutthroat Lake on talus to the South end of Bald Mountain Lake and then just go around the lake and follow the lake outlet down to East Boardman Lake.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu May 02, 2019 5:28 pm 
Wow, my name got brought up in the original thread, but I guess I missed it. I've been down from the Cutthroat Lakes to East Boardman. I didn't see any sign of a trail. But wasn't looking for one so who knows. It was a cold, wet, and brushy.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch