Forum Index > Food & Grub > Regular, minimal prep food for backpacking..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 12:48 pm 
What do you have for dinner when its not a freeze dried/ready made backpacking meal?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 12:59 pm 
It's easy to put together a "dehydrated" meal from the super market these days using any of these "components" Kraft-Dinner Ramen Instant potatoes Instant rice Various instant soups Or if you are just going for a few days -- you can bring canned foods -- when it is only a couple of dinners the weight penalty is only a couple pounds. Or just bring "a lot of lunch" -- then you don't need to bother with bringing stuff like a stove and pot. Coffee addicts -- note that instant coffee dissolves in cold water and provides the caffeine fix needed to stave off a headache. (As do caffeine pills)

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 1:03 pm 
Im looking for details.. whats your favorite? Im not gonna carry in a can of something. Id freeze some hot dogs and bring those before Id carry a can.. Idahoan mashed potatoes always hit the spot. Annie's mac and cheese plus bacon. any pasta plus a bit of pesto and bacon..

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 1:05 pm 
Kraft-dinner + frozen peas Instant Potatoes + salami slices + chunks of cheese. But nobody has accused me a of being a gourmet. If you want to something a little better: Pasta noodles of any sort + canned chicken breast + pesto + romano cheese.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 1:59 pm 
Just keep in mind most of the grocery store instant this-and-that folks recommend (instant rice, ramen - good grief) as an alternative to freeze dried is not very nutritious and may be loaded with s**t. It will fill your belly and not much else. So on that front freeze-dried is better. But it can be (not always) a cheaper alternative, if that is your goal. Like rh advises, a quick, good alternative is to bring real food you don't have to cook. Think lunch food for dinner. Cheese and jerky with whole wheat naan, for example, with chocolate covered nuts for dessert. My very first NW backpacking trip 35 years ago was a weekend snow travel clinic guided by a member of one of the luminaries of a well-known family of alpinists. All he brought for the whole weekend was cream cheese and a sack of bagels. A sort-of recipe idea: bulk dried lentil or black bean soup (available at PCC and elsewhere) added to whole wheat couscous or bulger.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 2:06 pm 
Im just looking for specific recipe ideas that other people make... for something different. I sometimes buy pack it gourmet, sometimes mix up something from the grocery store, sometimes pack in and make ridiculous things just because...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 2:11 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
ramen - good grief) as an alternative to freeze dried is not very nutritious and may be loaded with s**t.
https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/orthorexia-nervosa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momofuku_Ando
Quote:
He is known as one of the inventors of instant noodles, instant ramen, and Cup Noodles. ... Ando died of heart failure on January 5, 2007 at a hospital in Ikeda, Osaka Prefecture at the age of 96.[2] Ando was survived by his wife Masako, two sons and a daughter. Ando claimed that the secret of his long life was playing golf and eating Chicken ramen almost every day. He was said to have eaten instant ramen until the day he died

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 5:37 pm 
Well, I do "minimal prep", which to me means no cooking, i.e. RH's "lot of lunch": Triscuits, tortillas, bagels String cheese, summer sausage, peanut butter balls Dried fruit Dried veggies, soaked in cold water

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 8:29 pm 
Frankly, I like Mountain House freeze dried meals. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Jun 02, 2016 9:55 pm 
I would love to hear about other folks ideas for dinner meals when you have been out a few days. A lot of backpackers who post their food plan on YouTube, etc., eat a bunch of junk! More power to them, but I'm looking for ideas with no MSG, preservatives or other additives. My goal is to come home not needing to detox! I've been experimenting and recently dehydrated a spaghetti dinner. It re-hydrated nicely after sitting on the self for a few weeks in a vacuum bag. I also dehydrated some eggs, and after storing them for a while I whipped up some nice scrambled eggs after mixing in some powdered milk. Pre-cooked rice is likely to be a key ingredient in my next adventure.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jun 05, 2016 10:22 pm 
Have you ever checked out Sarah Kirkconnell's page? http://www.trailcooking.com/ Lots of home cooking recipes, easy to dehydrate. You don't have to cook the stuff in the plastic bag; you can use a mug or pot. I have food allergies, and can't eat most packaged foods. I've dehydrated my own brown rice, quinoa, pasta, spaghetti sauce, chili and other meals. The best one I've done on my own was a leftover lentil soup; I dehydrated the leftovers. I haven't figured out how to get my home-dehydrated ground beef to rehydrate very well. But it's tasty food, and I know I won't react to anything I make myself.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
wildling

wildling
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 10:27 pm 
I second about pack it gourmet (packitgourmet.com). You can buy freeze dried ingredients separately and assemble your own yummy nutritious meals to your taste. Instant rice or couscous with chicken and veggies is always good for dinner.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 8:19 am 
My quick and easy favorite is to take freeze dried peas and add a cup of split pea soup and then add some chopped up beef jerky or even chopped up pepperoni sticks and then rehydrate it all in a cooking bag . It is simple, quick, filling and quite healthy.

thetreemusketeers

thetreemusketeers
PostThu Jun 23, 2016 12:28 pm 
We bring a skillet sometimes and make cheese quesadillas with tomato & avocado or grilled cheese sandwiches with pesto, mozzarella, avocado and tomato. We bring a bag of shredded cheese and get travel sized hot sauce, olive oil, taco sauce etc from http://www.minimus.biz/Condiments.aspx. I have a dehydrator also and I like to get a container of tomato bisque from the fred meyer deli (my favorite! Note: I'm vegetarian) and dehydrate it on trays covered in parchment paper. It rehydrates a teeny tiny bit chunky from the cheese but still tastes delicious. I also like to make spanish rice using a rice a roni box & flavor packet and mixing in quinoa, black beans, canned diced tomatoes and sauted zucchini, bell pepper, onions & garlic. I pre-make it at home and toss all of it on the dehydrator. If I'm really lazy or sick of dehydrated food I'll bring a whole 12" veggie delight subway sandwich for dinner or left over pizza. Leftover fried rice or pad thai would probably be pretty good too.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 23, 2016 7:55 pm 
hikersarenumber1: see trailcooking.com - Sarbar (Sarah) is the resident trail-cooking diva here. some recipes of mine using a dehydrator here use the "search" function above and zero in on "dehydrator" and "recipe" in the "food & grub" forum here.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."