Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > This is some scary stuff
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed May 11, 2016 9:15 am 
Quote:
Recent climate history and climate models coalesce around the fact that changes in precipitation patterns and events will change and are changing.
False. Precipitation patterns are not changing. You can look at the actual data on this. I posted some of it early in this thread. Not only is there no evidence of them changing, there is no physical reason to expect them to ever change. The residence time of atmospheric water vapor is short... a week or 2. The increased water held by a warmer planet is pretty small, perhaps a weeks worth. Over anything approaching climate time scales, the amount of water leaving the atmosphere is therefore equal to the amount of water entering the atmosphere... which is generally equal to the fraction of sunlight which hits water, an unchanged value. Proof of this is the unchanged value of relative humidity observed even as the planet warms, on top of the unchanged frequency of total precip and storminess. Yes, some snow will convert to rain instead, but the total mass of water will be the same. The ice-albedo feedback is not relevant to most of the planet's received solar radiation. Even in our higher elevation/latitude forests, where the surface snow is very deep, the canopy remains dark with a low albedo most of the time... and all of the time during the sunny season. Keep in mind the west coast is supposed to be dry in the summer. This is the way of things, both naturally and in a man-made warming world. The rest of your post is tired, overhyped, likely inaccurate predictions that are scary sounding and grab headlines, but lack any sort of robust physics. A 30% drop in wheat yields. LOL. Good one. Thats the sort of science I would expect from hollywood.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Jun 10, 2016 9:56 pm 
I stumbled upon the interactive map version of "If the Glaciers Melted": https://jeffreylinn.cartodb.com/viz/32947030-d76b-11e5-89c5-0e3ff518bd15/embed_map I get to have my own island. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message