Forum Index > Partners > Multi-day itinerary suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jt9

jt9
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:46 pm 
I'm going backpacking with 3 others in late July. I'd like something in the 15-20 mile range that we can do in 2-3 days. One of us is pretty green, so we'll be taking our time and enjoying the scenery. It's preferable to be away from crowds (we'll likely be going during the week, so that could help), get some awesome views, set up camp, and have a kickass time...fishing could be cool too, but isn't a top priority. Where would you locals go if you were in my situation? On my list of possible places so far, I have: Royal Basin Upper Lena Lake (I know the first portion is busy, but maybe the rest makes it worth it?) Tuck and Robin Lakes Summerland Marmot Pass Indian Bar-Cowlitz Divide Greenwater and Echo Lakes Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 10:13 pm 
That's a pretty good list you started with. Having been to most of them, I think somewhere like Charlia Lakes (Olympics) might be just what you're looking for.

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostSat Jun 11, 2016 7:14 am 
From your list I think Tuck and Robin would be a great choice. The hike is strenuous but you should avoid most crowds mid-week. It's gorgeous and there are mountain goats, views, and opportunities for exploring or scrambling up some small peaks.

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 11, 2016 8:22 am 
Tuck and Robin is a wonderful destination -- be aware that the trail between Tuck Lake and the Robins is quite steep and rocky. There are sections where many people will want to use their hands to steady themselves or pull themselves up. Descending this section also requires good balance and sure footing. Indian Bar is lovely -- in a normal year I would expect it to still have substantial snow coverage in July -- this year snow melt is about a month ahead -- so it might be in prime shape.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Jun 11, 2016 9:44 am 
Tuck and Robin lakes is an excellent choice, it can be pretty busy on weekends but you should be good during the week. Another one to look at is Tank Lakes and Necklace Valley from east fork of Foss River. Long hike in but stunning scenery and lots of lakes to visit so maybe some fishing, I don't know. Royal Basin would be a great choice too and is a bit more mellow hike in (not as much elevation gain) if you're looking for something more easy going.