Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Global warming........ on Mars!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri May 27, 2016 9:41 pm 
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/26/11772702/mars-ice-age-climate-change
Quote:
Mars is emerging from an ice age, according to a new study. Studying the Martian climate and how it changes over time can help scientists better plan future missions to Mars and even understand climate change here on Earth, the study authors say. Models had already predicted that Mars underwent several rounds of ice ages in the past, but little physical measurements ever confirmed those predictions. Today’s study, published in the journal Science, is the first to map the ice deposits on the north and south pole and confirm that Mars is emerging from an ice age, in a retreat that began almost 400,000 years ago. The researchers also calculated just how much ice accumulated over the poles; the amount is so big that if it were spread throughout Mars, the entire planet would be covered by a 2-foot thick layer of ice.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WillClimber

WillClimber
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 2:18 pm 
Wow, that's amazing! I didn't know Mars is emerging from an Ice Age! Does that mean that Mars had life once or can have life?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 2:35 pm 
Ever since we sent the Mars rover up there, their glaciers have been melting. THAT is what is causing it. smile.gif

friluftsliv
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 3:13 pm 
WillClimber wrote:
Does that mean that Mars had life once or can have life?
There is building evidence that Mars did once support life, or at least was host to favorable conditions for life. We know that the atmosphere was once much thicker, that large oceans were present (in fact it was recently discovered that huge Tsunamis once occurred on those oceans). Nasa has even found proof that liquid water flows occasionally on the Martian surface to this day, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that life in some form may yet be found there. However, it is unlikely that the Red Planet will ever be a vibrant garden world again unless we terraform it. Once the core died and the planet lost its protective magnetosphere, which resulted in the solar winds stripping most of the atmosphere from the planet. Without an atmosphere and a magnetosphere to protect it is unlikely that mars will ever again be anything but a barren desert.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
gb

gb
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 5:56 pm 
What is the current weather forecast? I need to know for my next trip.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 8:03 am 
gb wrote:
There's no long term forecast available on Mars, though aside from the occasional giant dust storm you can probably expect clear skies throughout the year. The most recent weather (June 11th) from Rover Environmental Monitoring Station (REMS) shows that it is currently sunny with a high of 3 degrees Fahrenheit and a low of -101 degrees with high levels of UV radiation.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 am 
gb wrote:
Next thing you know, its going to show up on WH&C, and it will be as overcrowded as Rattlesnake Ledge. rant.gif

friluftsliv
gb

gb
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 8:38 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
it is currently sunny with a high of 3 degrees Fahrenheit and a low of -101 degrees with high levels of UV radiation.
Fabulous, I'll work on my tan!