Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 01, 2016 8:16 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Reminds of an incident at Lowes recently, a guy was carrying a glock in the waistband of his sweatpants, it started to slip down his leg, he grabbed at it - and since the safety was off - it discharged and the bullet ripped up his thigh pretty good. Luckly it missed the femoral artery, so he survived.
Glocks dont have a safety! The safety is built into the trigger mechanism! Its called a Safe-Action trigger. The gun CAN NOT FIRE UNLESS the trigger IS pulled! PERIOD! So that guy reached for the gun AND pulled the trigger to shoot himself! Remember, your trigger finger IS THE ONLY SAFETY you rely on! It's the only one you can depend on.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 01, 2016 8:17 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I don't get spending many hundreds on a firearm and then being too cheap to buy a holdster for carrying it safely and with ready access.
A very good point that should be taken by every gun owner. Im a big fan of local holster maker Kramer. Thanks Randy. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 11:35 am 
Image processed by CodeCarvings Piczard ### FREE Community Edition ### on 2013-06-11 19:47:53Z |  | )
Image processed by CodeCarvings Piczard ### FREE Community Edition ### on 2013-06-11 19:47:53Z | | )
This is the ranch/farm version of the assault rifle you've been hearing about. This is the non military rifle that most soldiers are trained in. The military gun has a few different features for infantry use but it operates the exact same way and shoots the same bullets , .223 caliber. The tip of the bullet isn't much bigger than a common .22 bullet. Why is it deadly? That family of bullets twirl when they hit something causing greater damage than most bullets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 14, 2016 8:07 pm 
Well actually, that is a varmint gun! Military rifles shoot the NATO 5.56 round. That round is much hotter than the .223 HUNTING round. The whole tumbling thing is a bit of a ole wife's tale. What makes the round as dangerous as it is is the velocity. And frankly, it isnt all that great a killer. Many of our US soldiers in the middle east have gone to the 7.62 round or even the Russian version the 7.62x39 because they are MUCH better man stoppers than that 5.56 round.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 4:53 am 
Actually, nobody has been hearing about an "assault rifle." That's a misnomer. What has been all over the news lately is a semi-auto rifle built by Sig Sauer, and it's not an AR15. It would actually make a decent trail gun for those inclined to have a firearm that isn't a handgun, if you don't mind the weight. The Ruger Mini-14 pictured above is chambered for the same cartridge, which is good for coyotes and prairie dogs and other things. One sees them all over ranch and farm country. The military doesn't use this. The military rifle, the true "assault rifle," is a selective fire model that allows full-auto discharge. It's built on the AR platform. In the fall, I'd much rather have a lightweight .410 shotgun along for blue grouse. Of course, I have a sidearm too. winksmile.gif Nice to see you weighing in there BPJ! Keep Cle Elum from catching fire this summer. wink.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Jun 15, 2016 7:51 am 
"Misnomer." "Ol' wives tale." This is about a complicated subject. It's a healthy discussion. Here is about the bullet. You decide: "The .223/5.56 was developed to fit the action length of the new M16 service rifle. Shortly after military acceptance of the M1..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Remington
Image processed by CodeCarvings Piczard ### FREE Community Edition ### on 2013-06-11 19:47:53Z |  | )
Image processed by CodeCarvings Piczard ### FREE Community Edition ### on 2013-06-11 19:47:53Z | | )

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Jun 18, 2016 6:21 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
"Misnomer." "Ol' wives tale." This is about a complicated subject. It's a healthy discussion. Here is about the bullet. You decide: "The .223/5.56 was developed to fit the action length of the new M16 service rifle. Shortly after military acceptance of the M1..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Remington
And so? Just because you read about it on Wikipedia, where are you going with this? The cartridge fits a lot of guns. Bolt actions, single-shots, whatever. It's not an especially powerful round, compared to the .308 Winchester, .30-06 or other popular big game rounds. What's so complicated?

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSun Jun 19, 2016 9:35 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
ANYONE interested in buying an NFA item should do so before July. Everything changes on July 16th.
Thanks for the reminder. I got 3 SBRs approved during that 2014-2015 window of time when the BATFE was approving. I have one more to do (8" 300BLK) and my 2nd suppressor is already in process.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 8:51 am 
xrp wrote:
I have one more to do (8" 300BLK)
Speaking of a short barrel .300 Blackout. hockeygrin.gif
AR Pistol
AR Pistol

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Jul 15, 2016 5:40 am 
marlin_915n_boy_scout_bolt
marlin_915n_boy_scout_bolt
This (above) is a Scout training rifle. It is a single shot rifle which means that each bullet is individually loaded.
On the left is the .22 short bullet which was used.
Training range. We did this as our civic duty.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jul 23, 2016 11:13 am 
I've been looking at this mauser bolt action target rifle because it's supposed to be really fun to shoot. I usually only shoot rimfire and know little about this ammo. I have a question about this gun because it shoots, 7.62+39, 5.56, .311 and .223 calibers. Are these bullets interchangeable? Or does this gun come in many different models/chamberings? Thank you.
CZ-527
CZ-527
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/ ...

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 8:24 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I usually only shoot rimfire and know little about this ammo. I have a question about this gun because it shoots, 7.62+39, 5.56, .311 and .223 calibers.
The 7.62X39 is a separate caliber from .223/5.56mm. You cannot fire one cartridge in a rifle chambered for the other. The .311 discussed in the treatise is the diameter of the bullet for which the barrel of the 7.62x39 is cut (various rifles are available with bore sizes to accommodate .310 to .312-diameter projectiles). The images of the .22 Short and .22 Long Rifle are cartridges, not bullets. You're looking at a pricey rifle just for recreational shooting, but to each his own. If you're considering it for the trail, the 7.62x39 has a bit more horsepower, but this is almost 6 pounds and that's without a scope. With glass on top, you're looking at just over 7 pounds. Even with a sling, you might not care to lug that along.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 9:56 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
You're looking at a pricey rifle just for recreational shooting, but to each his own.
Thank you for clearing that up for me, Dave. Target shooting is an important sport/recreation. Marksmanship. The United States has won Olympics gold today for target shooting. Obscure and pricey but, after all, it's golden. And it's a girl shooter. up.gif http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2016/08/06/ginny_thrasher_won_gold_in_the_women_s_10_meter_air_rifle_what_s_that.html ..

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Aug 08, 2016 2:50 pm 
The future King of England Harry with a rifle. Our political royalty play golf.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Aug 18, 2016 9:02 pm 
Savage Youth Rifle: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youth+rifle&view=detail&mid=9B589012EA15319A5F0C9B589012EA15319A5F0C&FORM=VIRE Single shot .22 said to be a good pack rifle.