Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > On an asteroid, a volcano and dinosaurs mass extinction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSat Jun 25, 2016 8:47 pm 
Interesting read of new studies (follow the links). In geologic terms it happened very fast

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 11:26 am 
The dinosaurs saw it coming. First the blazing fireball shrieked across the sky and exploded into the shallow ocean. Then the earth shook and steam and smoke and chaos and destruction. Here in the 6th great mass extinction, we are more like frogs in a cooking pot; mostly unconcerned with our impending doom. Species extinction, which is occurring at 1000 times the normal background rate, is practically invisible to us. We- and our marvelous technology- are both the lizard and the comet this time around. We don't need a big rock from space to cleanse the earth of an epoch's worth of diversity. We're doing it ourselves this time. It's all a bit extemporaneous. The technology may swoop in and save us, any minute now, before it destroys us. Or not.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 11:30 am 
I still think it was alien big game hunters wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 8:48 pm 
Global cooling is actually freaking scary. Good thing we are warming the planet.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Jun 28, 2016 10:06 pm 
contour5 wrote:
The dinosaurs saw it coming... We're doing it ourselves this time.
Yep, at least the dinosaurs had a good, long run. I'm optimistic, but I think things could get worse for us before they get better. Kanye West videos get hundreds of millions of views, while our current woes -- pollution, resource consumption, global warming, not to mention our tribal differences -- though publicized, plow forward with moderate attention and action. Our attention is focused inward -- my family, my job, my Wi-Fi, my smartphone. We need to shift some of our attention outward, into the world.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman