Forum Index > Trip Reports > Poe & Cockeye: 6/25/16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 1:14 am 
Headed up to Poe Mt. via Irving Pass today. The NOAA forecast predicted mostly sunny skies, but alas, a low cloud deck kept views of Glacier Pk at bay. Quoth the weatherman nevermore. FS 6504 is in great shape, save for a few encroaching bushes and a small washout/rut two miles from the TH. Arrived at the parking area around 12:30pm and made quick time up to Irving Pass. I was surprised to find that the pass was treed in. Headed north from the pass up Poet Ridge via a steep bootpath. The grade eventually eased, but there were plenty of knobs to go up and around. One spot required some handwork. Nothing difficult, but worth noting.
Views soon opened up, offering far reaching views of surrounding valleys and peaks. At the junction just below the false summit (henceforth known as Faux Poe), I went left, descending snow covered meadows. In hindsight, it would have been easier to continue straight at the junction and go up and over Faux Poe. My route eventually linked up with the bootpath heading up to the Poe summit. Some snow remained below the summit, but it was soft enough to not be a problem.
Our summit stay was short, as I was eager to get to Cockeye Lake. Retraced steps down to the junction with the bootpath to Cockeye Lake, around 5600'. The path is easily missed if you're not looking for it. Picked my way down some tricky snow/blowdowns before traversing the slope beneath Faux Poe. I eventually lost the bootpath, and followed the path of least resistance through the snow, but got cliffed out. After trying to figure out the route for some time, I was ready to call it a day. That's when Pebbles ran back to me and gave me the "follow me, it's this way!" look. Sure enough, she took me through the snow and brought us right to the bootpath on the other end. From there on out, the path was snow free and pretty easy to follow all the way to the lake.
Hung out at the lake for an hour before a cold wind encouraged us to begin the journey home.
Back at the car around 7:45pm. Another great day in the hills up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 6:16 am 
up.gif Looks good! Nice that you got to visit the lake as well.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 7:00 am 
Ive got access to a pretty amazing high lake database and that lake isn't in it. Are you sure its the correct name?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 8:42 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Are you sure its the correct name?
Try Poe Mtn Lake or Pond.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 8:43 am 
BPJ, I believe it's also known as Poe Pond.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 am 
Thanks RP. Yes its Poe Mountain lake. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 6:20 pm 
Good trip. up.gif I like that area. Did it look like the road had been brushed out this summer? Some of it was getting narrow last fall.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 9:28 pm 
A few years ago, on my first attempt to get to the lake, I also lost the trail and was confounded by the route. uhh.gif Fortunately, with Hit the Trail and Leafguy last fall we followed our instincts and were rewarded with a nice little destination, just like you. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 9:58 pm 
That's a fine looking lake. I wish I'd known it was there when I was in the area last weekend.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon Jun 27, 2016 9:02 am 
up.gif up.gif Love "faux poe". And Pebbles is turning into quite the route finder! And camera finder. Or maybe just mind reader….. smile.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Jun 27, 2016 12:25 pm 
Snowdog wrote: "Or maybe just mind reader..." I was thinking that too. She seems very tuned in, what a great little dog she has turned out to be.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Jun 27, 2016 3:58 pm 
Great trip report! I don't recall any reports about that lake and it's so pretty. Maybe you should keep calling Cockeye Lake and nobody will go... winksmile.gif Looks like a great combo peak'n lake trip. And that pup of yours...just AWESOME!!! agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"