Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The big news, how much will the stock market drop 6/24?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 4:32 pm 
Tom wrote:
Stock market drop is only a bad thing for those looking to sell. wink.gif
So I have been told. Being ignorant, I just keep my hands off and pretend I don't have anything invested and it seems to go up and down which is OK as long as it goes back up. I'll ride this one out also.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 5:42 pm 
What a dumb move by the Brits. In any case, the following should be noted:
  • People who bought gold yesterday are happy today.
  • People who can be in the stock market for more than ten years should wait until it drops a little more, which it probably will, and then buy a bunch of good stocks -- they'll be happy in ten years.
  • People who are planning to retire soon -- and if most of their retirement assets are in equities, which is a mistake due to their timeline for retirement -- are unhappy today.
  • The TV show Doomsday Preppers should be resurrected -- viewership/ad revenue for the resurrected show could spike in the coming months.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 7:54 pm 
gb wrote:
Talk about speculation...on your part.
I was talking about the US market indexes. And Tom is correct, if your a rational level headed long term investor down markets and knee jerk reactions are your friend. You just let your dividend reinvestment suck up cheap stock. I am still making money off the 2009 downturn.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 8:01 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
So I have been told. Being ignorant, I just keep my hands off and pretend I don't have anything invested and it seems to go up and down which is OK as long as it goes back up. I'll ride this one out also.
Good approach -- I recall during the stock crash of 1987 that one of my broker's other client's had called in a panic -- yelling "sell sell sell" -- that client was in their '80s and their investments were 90% in bonds and only 10% in the market.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 8:11 pm 
Like the guy in Florida who walked in and shot his broker for selling him out when his margin account dropped below the required minimum and he didn't have cash to cover. I always thought that if they made a movie of the incident it would be called "Rambo gets a margin call".

gb

gb
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 9:41 pm 
What Nobel Laureate economists said before the Brexit vote: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/19/eu-referendum-nobel-prize-winning-economists-warn-of-long-term-brexit-damage Barclay's by the way was down 17.68% today

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 9:54 pm 
If the stock is undervalued then it's clearly a good time to buy.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 9:59 pm 
Quote:
Brits search for Irish passports after Brexit vote June 24, 2016 (CNN)British citizens began frantically looking for ways to keep their European citizenship on Friday morning after a referendum on leaving the EU passed in a close vote. Google search data showed a spike in searches for "getting an Irish passport" from the UK. Citizens of European Union member states can travel freely across the continent right now. Any restrictions that may be placed on British travelers post-Brexit will be dependent on negotiations between London and Brussels...
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/24/europe/brits-search-for-irish-passports-after-brexit-vote/index.html

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 10:06 pm 
Elections have consequences, so it goes. tongue.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 10:13 pm 
My rough guess is the S&P 500 will lose 3.59% today, approximately.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Indeed. This was a knee-jerk, short-sighted vote by the Brits. It'll probably take a couple of years (of procedure) for them to fully withdraw from the EU -- during which the realities of the decision will surface, buyer's remorse might set in, Parliament could step in, and maybe something can be done to reverse course. But during all that uncertainty, world markets -- certainly including ours -- may well languish.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jun 24, 2016 10:26 pm 
Tom wrote:
If the stock is undervalued then it's clearly a good time to buy.
Yep, the best time to buy a good stock (of course, a good stock varies for everyone, dependent on your financial situation and goals) is when everyone is yelling the "sky is falling" and running for the exits -- which will probably be the case during the coming days.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jun 25, 2016 2:30 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
and the fact they didn't have enough say in the matter.
And they probably believe that they should have a loud say considering that they once oversaw the largest colonial empire in history.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 3:14 am 
Spain wants Gibraltar back says all changed now. Margallo warned Brexit was “a complete change of outlook that opens up new possibilities”. http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/683475/Foreign-Office-pledges-protect-Gibraltar-Spain-Brexit-power-grab

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 26, 2016 7:02 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Mals right on the money there. Ive been saying that the last 7 years! moon.gif Besides, who cares if they dump the EU? They never accepted its currency anyway. That should tell you something.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln