Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 70s Rock Led Zeppelin on Trial
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 6:26 am 
Who really wrote Stairway to Heaven? A court will decide. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/12/led-zeppelin-members-face-trial-in-stairway-to-heaven-copyright-infringement-lawsuit/

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 5:14 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Who really wrote Stairway to Heaven? A court will decide. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/12/led-zeppelin-members-face-trial-in-stairway-to-heaven-copyright-infringement-lawsuit/
Just another "troll" lawsuit. If this were valid, it would have been filed about 40 years ago.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 5:45 pm 
That's funny, I just wrote a fugue to Stairway. Fraid to put it up due to copyright issues.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 5:56 pm 
I loved that song. I can remember some hot slow-dance moments to that tune... naughty.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 13, 2016 7:41 am 
In a interview the singer Robert Plant was asked about the meaning of the lyrics to their almost spiritual rock song, Kashmir (sample below). He said that the band was so high on drugs back then that no one can remember. I'd expect the same defense in this lawsuit.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 4:12 pm 
Plant and Paige wrote Stairway to Heaven, but they stole the intro. That is what the lawsuit is about and it's valid. They stole it from the band that used to open for them before they were mega huge. The guy they stole it from never bothered with a lawsuit, he just wanted an apology. Now he is dead, and his estate is suing.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Apr 19, 2016 5:30 pm 
I don't really get it. A couple of similar descending notes; not even close to the whole intro. Actually Jimmy Page "borrowed" most of his guitar licks from the great amplified blues players of the 40s and 50s. Most rock music from the 50s thru the 70s was just a straight up reinterpretation of the classic blues riffs. If songwriting credit is due to anybody, it would be to the blues players who originated the sound. They not only got ripped off by the record companies; they subsequently had to sit back and watch while the white kids got rich off their music. At least Page has never denied the truth about where his inspiration came from in regard to the blues. Listen to "Tribute To Elmore" with Page and Clapton on the geetars... Transcendental gut bucket perfection- but it don't hold a candle to Elmore James.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Jun 23, 2016 10:10 pm 
The jury is in: http://www.scotsman.com/news/world/led-zeppelin-win-stairway-to-heaven-plagiarism-case-1-4162564

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Jun 28, 2016 8:07 pm 
I think the melodies of the two songs are quite similar and the songwriter's estate had a case. Apparently, due to evidentiary rulings, the jury never heard a recording of the plaintiff's melody during the trial -- the case was based on the sheet music, a key victory for the defendant's lawyers -- though, 15 minutes before reaching their verdict, the jury watched a video twice of an acoustic guitarist playing both melodies. I think the plantiff's case would've been much stronger if they could've played the recordings to the jury throughout the trial, repeatedly, with spirited verbal reinforcement about how the melodies are so similar. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/221437c56fe840a7ad314bb6ab5991ac/led-zeppelin-rocks-copyright-case-over-stairway

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 28, 2016 9:44 pm 
Page and Plant have been pretty adept at dodging bullets over the years. If "all art is imitation", Page and Plant are truly artists: they've lifted material from all kinds of people. But then, so have a lot of other recording artists. Maybe nobody would have paid much attention if they hadn't made so much money doing it. Junior Wells lifted all kinds of stuff - re-titled songs and took credit for them, even - and nobody filed any lawsuits. (So Long from the album "On Tap" is a direct lift of Reconsider Baby by Lowell Fulson. Someday Baby from the album "On Tap" is a direct lift of Worried Life Blues by Big Maceo.) Certainly not the only case of one musician "borrowing" from another, and it certainly isn't unique to the modern era. (But at least Sergei Rachmaninoff had enough class to give credit where it was due.) Causes me to wonder if maybe people just didn't worry about such trivialities when Pablo Sarasate did a little "borrowing" from Georges Bizet.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jun 29, 2016 4:00 pm 
The Led Zeppelin movie:
especially the ending scene when he tunes the violin... doof.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Damian

Damian
PostWed Jun 29, 2016 7:57 pm 

Z
Erratic

Z
Erratic
PostMon Jul 04, 2016 11:15 am 
I always thought that was written by Leo Zippin. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Leo_Zippin.jpeg

"Einstein stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, is as a blind man stating that nothing can travel faster than the speed of sound" 1979 They don't make years like they used to.