Eric Willhite
PostSat Jul 16, 2016 9:15 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jul 16, 2016 9:33 pm 
Eric you are a master of research and detective work! I thoroughly enjoy your reports about lookouts and former sites. up.gif

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostFri Oct 28, 2016 1:53 pm 
Eric, Regarding the metal plate with CSHAB, I can enlighten you: Camp Sheppard High Adventure Base was a scout adventure program that ran out of Camp Sheppard Boy Scout camp from the 70's until just a few years ago. Before it ran afoul of the USFS (they insisted the program get a Outfitters and Guides Permit, even though the program was led by youth leaders with a few adult advisors), the program taught mountain climbing, mountain biking, orienteering, and other really challenging activities. The metal plate was part of the "Ranger Challenge" -- an extremely hard, orienteering route that ran all over the upper White River valley-- as I remember it started over by Crystal Mountain, ran down and across the river by the airfield, up to Buck Mountain and Suntop, then back across the valley and into the Greenwater drainage, then up to Corral Pass and Noble Knob then finally down to the camp. Mostly cross country routes and very little trail options, "extremely hard" may not adequately describe it. BUT we were studs back in those days and not deterred by lack of trails, 75 lb packs (carried watermelons to the top of Mt. Baker once), etc...

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 10:25 am 
If I can find the old "Ranger Challenge" I'll see if I can post it here... It could be fun for folks who are bored with just hiking on trails (hint: there is a lot of off trail travel required for this baby....)... If someone does the Challenge, I'll meet you at the Naches Tavern to hear how it went (another hint: I won't be doing it again..) Cheers!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Nov 13, 2016 1:57 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
BUT we were studs back in those days and not deterred by lack of trails, 75 lb packs..
I WAS AT camp Sheppard a few summers in the late '60's and one camp was for survival training taught by (I WAS TOLD) guys from JBLM. US AIR Force. One exercise was to hike along highway 410 with 50lb packs filled with rocks. They weighed the packs. One kid started to cry because of the weight. So I packed some of his rocks to complete the mission without any of his tears. I was the leader of that group and I got in a lot of trouble for helping the crying kid. I guess I was supposed to leave the crybaby out there alone with his heavy pack. I graduated the Camp. The kid got kicked out. Survival of the fittest.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.