Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dorothy Lake July 22-24, 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tetrimbath

tetrimbath
PostSun Jul 24, 2016 6:32 pm 
I needed a break and Dorothy Lake provided it. After checking in with the Skykomish Ranger Station on Friday, July 22nd, I headed in to Dorothy Lake for a 3-day, 2-night trip. It's been a while since I've been hiking, so I wanted something short.
The road, which was supposedly recently improved, continues to have large potholes. A few caught me by surprise. Sorry, truck. Even on a rainy Friday evening, there were about 18 vehicles in the lot. They weren't all pickups or SUVs, so careful driving can succeed, evidently. The trail was simultaneously in very good shape and in bad shape. It's been a few, er, several, years since I've been to the lake and was impressed by the number and stoutness of the various boardwalks and staircases. I wince at imagining how much effort went into that much trail construction. The recent winter storms, however, were more impressive with the number of trees uprooted and slides creating several places that required maneuvering around root balls and rocks. From other hikers, I get the impression it was far worse earlier in the season.
One side trail that I'd like to see improved is the one to the toilet by the first camp site. Despite the crowds, I got the first site. It didn't have the best views, but my knees appreciated the early stop. The toilet is unharmed, but several trees block the way. It took me a while to find a good path through. At least it means the toilet isn't over-used.
There was a fun mix of people. Some hikers barely had the essentials of what they needed for a run. Others, like me, were using bug netting, long sleeves, and long pants to defend against bugs, mud, and brushes with fallen trees. While there were warnings about break-ins at the trailhead, I didn't see any evidence. I believe they're happening. I was just relieved it didn't happen to me, or anyone else that day. Berries are ripening. I didn't see any fish jumping, but they're probably out there. The Boy Scout troop certainly hoped so. One thing I find handy on recently damaged trails are work gloves (pardon the pun - handy / gloves). They're better suited for setting up camp, working through fallen trees, and general bushwhacking. Thanks to the informal trail clearing I saw going on. Some encroachment is being battled back by people who bring gardening tools; goes with the gloves, I guess.
Tom Trimbath

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Jul 24, 2016 8:33 pm 
Nothing like a couple days in the mountains to refresh the spirit and recharge the batteries! up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 25, 2016 2:06 am 
It's too bad about the trail damage -- it was in excellent shape last year, all the way to Bear Lake. You didn't mention it so I assume the big trail bridges lower down are in place?

tetrimbath

tetrimbath
PostMon Jul 25, 2016 2:31 am 
The big bridge down at Camp Robber Valley is fine. I only made it about 2/3 of the way along Dorothy before turning back. (Camera acted dodgy so I went back to reading a novel.) I met a local who placed most of the damage at a storm last November. A lot can change in one storm.