Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Moving to Phoenix- Need some Info of the area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Badger

Badger
PostThu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 am 
Edited with more specifics Accepted a promotion so I am moving to Phx to run a DC there. Several Questions. Anyone from Phoenix? Can you recommend places to live? Prefer outside of the city- burbs or rural is preferred. 30+ minute commute to Chandler site is ok. Never been there so I have no idea where the better- safer, area's are. The DC site is actually in Chandler 10 miles east of Phx. I plan on getting an apt for the first 6 months while I get to know the area then buy a house. Next: I am driving down - leaving next Monday- any recommendations? I do not want to go thru LA. So I will use the route thru Oregon, Idaho, Nevada and then into AZ. Places to stay and or camp for the first night? I am thinking hotel for the second night so I arrive showered and fresh...grin. Restaurants? Mostly concerned with places to live than the drive so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Jul 21, 2016 9:17 am 
granted it's been 20 years since I was there but Scottsdale and Tempe were better areas. Tempe is more of a college town since ASU is there. Chandler should be fine. Unless something has changed , I wouldn't live in Glendale. Food wise I would recommend Macayo's and specifically Macayo's Depot Cantina. Or Native Wings (used to be called Native New Yorker) if you like chicken wings.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 21, 2016 10:32 am 
My Brother-in-law lived in Anthem for a while after he retired -- he wanted to play a lot of golf -- which he did. I found the area right around Phoenix to be a sort of a nightmarish form of Los Angeles type suburbs. Much farther north (Prescott ish) seemed more habitable by PNW standards -- but that's more that I'd want to commute.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 21, 2016 11:12 am 
Badger wrote:
Next: I am driving down - leaving next Monday- any recommendations? I do not want to go thru LA. So I will use the route thru Oregon, Idaho, Nevada and then into AZ. Places to stay and or camp for the first night? I am thinking hotel for the second night so I arrive showered and fresh...grin.
Or you can cut off of I-5 before LA and go over Tejunga (Sp?) pass and through Bakersfield, Barstow and onward. I liked driving the Idaho, Nev route but haven't done that in years. The Best Western in Tonopah has my loyalty. They accommodated me and a car sick dog quite well on a trip.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Jul 23, 2016 6:45 pm 
Badger wrote:
I do not want to go thru LA. So I will use the route thru Oregon, Idaho, Nevada and then into AZ.
Good choice. It takes at least 1.5 hours just getting through L.A., no matter what day of the week or weekend you choose. rant.gif I grew up in Tucson, so have been to the Phoenix area here & there. It's a big hot mess. redface.gif I'll 2nd the comment about Mesa & college kids. Scottsdale goes by "Snottsdale" b/c it is a wealthy area. Chandler's kinda the same too. My brother rents out a house in Arizona City (in the Casa Grande area) which might be more up your alley if you're looking for a quieter area w/not too bad of a commute. Hope you like the heat.

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 23, 2016 9:28 pm 
But, you know, it is a dryyy heat. Except for now if the monsoon is going.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jul 23, 2016 10:11 pm 
There is spring training. Baseball baseball baseball.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon Jul 25, 2016 12:28 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
But, you know, it is a dryyy heat
So is a blow torch

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 7:49 am 
The good news is....there is no Bad part of town. The bad news is.... there is no Good part of town. Recreation consists mainly of hanging out at the air conditioned malls. Be sure to have your hikes done by 9am... at the latest. Seriously. Later could kill you. Literally. Outdoor recreation is mainly taking the boat up to the resevoir. Friends of our moved there. They took a huge loss on their house to avoid spending a second summer there. Hope you like it HOT. Of course, I now live in High Desert, so maybe I shouldn't talk..... cool.gif

friluftsliv
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 8:34 am 
treeswarper wrote:
But, you know, it is a dryyy heat.
First off, congrats on the promotion and condolances upon moving to HELL. naughty.gif Yea, I always thought that "But it's a DRY heat" comment was pretty idiotic, it seems that when it's 110+ that kind of goes out the window. I grew up in North Dakota and I never once heard anyone comment "Yes, it's 40 below zero, but it's a dry cold".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 10:29 am 
If I lived "down in the valley" I would maybe like the hot summer just because the snowbirds are gone. I lived for a couple years up in the high country of AZ and it was a relief when winter hit and the summer people went back to the valley. I'd go to the Phoenix area to shop sometimes, and even though summer was hot and felt muggy in August, it was easier to get around. That's a plus for that hell of a place.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 11:56 am 
I lived NE of Tucson for 6 years so am prejudiced. I forget why Phoenix is there. It is on the fringe of Sonoran Desert so not as much flora variety as where I lived and it is just plain hotter...lower elevation, more open canals, less shade....hot hot hot. It is also famous for some funky Del Webb style subdivisions, super wealth in Scottsdale, and Tempe is yuppie kids for ASU. We were teachers there and loved the small town kids, but can't speak for metro Phoenix. Tom