Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pics from 1975. Bailey Range, Martins Park, Rustler, Godkin
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSat Oct 23, 2010 8:44 pm 
Last of the pics before I get Ken's slides. Enchanted Valley Chalet:
. With Anderson in the background.
. Inside:
. After hanging out at the Chalet, we went down the East Fork and to the trailhead. Here is a pic from the 2 mile marker. The last time before this I was here you could still drive to here- before the closed the bridge and road (not long before this).
. Yes, the weather was fantastic for this trip. We were out 10 days, a lot of it off trail. There were a lot less people off trail then, we didn't see anyone from Bogachiel Peak to the Quinault (ok, there were people at Low Divide, but we avoided them and didn't actually 'see' anyone). This trip happened right after another 10 day trip we took (Sue, Ken & I). Obstruction Point to Staircase (all on trail for this one). I'll scan that and post up some pics, although it was pretty wet for much of that trip. I think I've been wetter in August in the Olympics more than any other month! (ok, maybe it just seems that way). I'll add in some more pics when I scan Ken's- if I find ones that fill in the missing parts. Scanning all these and posting the trip has brought back a lot of memories, and made me think of many other cross-country trips over the years. There are still some great areas I'd like to see, and on the ground rather than the air. I'd sure like to hang out at Muncaster Basin, revisit Upper Cream lake and Queets again. Not sure I want to go to the effort of that neat spot by Chimney though--Have to think about that... Mark

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
half fast

half fast
PostMon Oct 25, 2010 10:13 am 
I have really been enjoying following your adventure and seeing all your photos of the Olys back in the day... ok... not that long ago... rotf.gif What a trip you all had. It has been very fun for all of us looking in on it and... I'll bet it was a blast for you guys !! Thanks for sharing... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostMon Oct 25, 2010 4:15 pm 
Glad to hear you enjoyed it (even if you didn't know who was posting at first). I'm scanning a bunch from when Ken & I did a brushing contract in 1976. A bit of a story how that came about, and it was an incredible amount of work. Probably not much for interest here, except maybe some of the structures. Just did a bunch of Bogie Guard station. Flapjack was a quite large meadow then, but the old cabin was gone. Parts of the old ranger station at the park boundary were still there then- you could possibly find the foundation still. I'm not sure about the old elk exclosure.. I don't think they are old enough for 'history' (heck, it seems like just the other day to me) but certainly not a 'normal' trip. The Bogachiel alone took us about 7 weeks. Mark

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 25, 2010 4:43 pm 
I like the picture of inside the Chalet - a dirty sock, a deck of dirty cards (suspicious that both aces are showing), a dirty comb with teeth missing, and an unidentified object (probably dirty) with what looks like a Colibri ad plastered to the side of it. And a floating head!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
half fast

half fast
PostMon Oct 25, 2010 5:18 pm 
Lotus54 wrote:
Glad to hear you enjoyed it (even if you didn't know who was posting at first).
Ok, I was not going to say anything about that... but... since you mentioned it... I had been following the pretty awesome thread and enjoying the photos...I had never seen a post from Lotus54 previously... and no avatar photo at the time either but... like I mentioned, I was quite into it just the same. Then on the last TR that I posted, I see that there is a comment from Lotus54. I open up the thread to see what he/she had to say and there is now an avatar photo to go with Lotus54... I read the comment and I am now looking at the avatar photo... I am thinking... hey, I know this guy.... it totally cracked me up...rotf.gif Welcome to the site Lotus54 (aka bobbis' hubby) biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
HumpnoocheeGirl

HumpnoocheeGirl
PostWed Jul 27, 2016 11:31 am 
Very, very awesome report! LOVE the photos and the historic narrative. Do you have more photos? Maybe some of Ken's?

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostWed Jul 27, 2016 11:56 am 
I do have more- maybe not that trip though. I'm still scanning Ken's old pics. And find some of mine hidden away from time to time. Mark

haydenslides

haydenslides
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 6:15 pm 
Very cool pics, I've met a few of these kind folks over the years...thanks for sharing