Forum Index > Food & Grub > Regular, minimal prep food for backpacking..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostFri Jul 08, 2016 2:56 pm 
I buy dehydrated refried beans thru Amazon. (never found them locally) they are so good I use them instead of canned ones all year, so I order a case at once. they rehydrate easily, and are good with cheese and a tortilla or wrap. they weigh nothing. I can post a link if anyone is interested. accessorize them as you wish, hot sauce, sliced cabbage etc.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 08, 2016 8:01 pm 
^ did you try PCC Food Co-op? Fred Meyer? Olympia Food Co-op? I used to buy a dried lentil soup mix (that actually wasn't too bad) and a dried black bean soup mix (that grew tiresome in short order) from the Oly food co-op. Cannot recall whether or not they had a "dried refried bean" product. The lentil soup mix was greatly improved with the addition of a handful of "dried vegetable soup mix" (essentially just a mix of dried chopped vegetables), a handful of raw cashews, a little bit of sun-dried tomato, and maybe a few fat monukka raisins. Was pretty much my standard dinner fare doing overnights on top of fire lookout peaks because it used the least amount of water and fuel.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostSun Jul 10, 2016 4:19 pm 
For years I've gone the mountain house route for simplicity and my lack of planning, but I can't hang with all the salt anymore. I try to eat less sugar and carbs these days. My latest dinner: 1 freezer bag with ingredients bought at Packit gourmet: 1.5 cups Freeze dried broccoli, 4 Tbsp freeze dried cheddar cheese, 4 Tbsp freeze dried sausage crumbles, 1 Tbsp freeze dried green peppers, 2 Tbsp Powdered butter. Add +/- 1/2 cup boiling water and let sit for 10 min. Mix and Eat. I eat macadamia nuts and almonds if I'm still hungry. Lunches are jerky and nuts Breakfast is usually a couple cups of coffee (starbucks via) and i'm trying some gluten free Stinger Waffles with coconut butter for extra fat for an upcoming trip.

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
Songs2

Songs2
PostWed Jul 27, 2016 3:13 pm 
@hikersarenumber1: Lately I've been going with couscous and a foil pack of tuna or salmon (or similar). Add a bit of savory such as curry and some dill, and it's a real dinner. I have a chai mix for after-dinner hot drink. Vegetables wait until after the hike, though I admire those who dry their own veggies and bring them along. Fresh fruit each day is important to a successful hike. 1/2 apple or orange per day.

tireddogs

tireddogs
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 10:11 pm 
I third Pack-It-Gourmet, thanks to this forum for showing me the light. I love their cold water items. Bring a tortilla and you have a meal. If I'm ever prepping without planning ahead, I grab instant mashed potatoes, tuna in a foil pouch, single serve oatmeal cups (not instant packets), single serve soup cups, dried tortellini (with a package of dried pesto and salami), applesauce/baby food pouches...and some of the standard fare granola bars, beef jerky, hard cheese. I usually bring some Zours or black licorice as a sweet treat too.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 10:40 pm 
^ if you use your own dehydrator, you are in complete control of the salt. or try PCC Food Co-op or Olympia Food Co-op for dried ingredients. Tacoma Food Co-op is too high priced. Fred Meyer has some stuff, but their turnover rate is low on that dried stuff and I've found it's not the best quality. == Girlfriend found this stuff at a Dollar Store in Oregon. Shows up online as being available from Amazon, WalMart, and others. Tapatio Powder Spice Packets! I haven't tried it myself yet. She said it was great on some rather bland enchiladas they had down there for lunch one day. https://www.amazon.com/Tapatio-Powder-Spice-Packets-Pack/dp/B012EBNH7U That Amazon price is crazy expensive. She got the 8-pack for a buck at Dollar Store. Here's another one - $2.79 for the 8-pack: http://www.shopfoodex.com/tapatio-salsa-picante-powder-spice-packets-single-packets-p-56794.html Something to consider to jazz up an otherwise bland dish.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 pm 
another key stuff is like...;.hawaii sweet rolls qfc HAS WHITE CHEDDER AGED 3 YEARS...used to get the 2 yr stuff...whatever it lasts 4 full days. yes tortias for buritos (packit chix or hamb.) and those dehydrated beans. oh and egg burritos for breakfst...