Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Spider Gap
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MustLoveTrees

MustLoveTrees
PostMon Jul 25, 2016 11:22 pm 
Does anyone know the history behind the name of the Spider Gap area and how it got it's name?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 6:40 am 
It was either a miner named Kieffer who had a mine above the gap or a government surveyor who gave a few creative names to those mountains in about 1910. I mentioned him previously in these threads. Those are the likely possibilities.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
GC99

GC99
PostTue Jul 26, 2016 10:07 am 
The Kieffers had a mine well to the southwest of the gap, I'd assume that Ed Linston would have named it since he had a mine below the gap.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Jul 27, 2016 9:16 am 
GC99 wrote:
The Kieffers had a mine well to the southwest of the gap
Or it's at the end of that visible trace directly above the gap. It's written about in one of Mr. Beckey's books, brown or green. In the back of the book under Routes. There's supposedly an old gas car engine inside the shaft.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
the1mitch

the1mitch
PostFri Jul 29, 2016 10:02 am 
If you are going up thru the gap, turn around and look down on the valley. You'll see the arms of a spider formed by the groups of trees that run down into the valley from both sides. I was told this by an old guy and I thought he was pulling my leg. See for yourself before you catcall me....

illegitimi non carborundum!
GC99

GC99
PostFri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am 
That could be, I know for sure though that one of the Kieffers' mines is the reason for the trail (used to be a road) on the West side of Red Mountain. They were looking for Molybdenum, but didn't do too much development. What do you mean by "Trace"? Is that the ledge above the west side of the gap?

RichP

RichP
PostFri Jul 29, 2016 12:08 pm 
If you walk out from the east side of the gap there is a faint trail leading to an old mine. There is an old bed frame with springs near the entrance with a great view of the Lyman Glacier.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Jul 29, 2016 6:31 pm 
GC99 wrote:
What do you mean by "Trace"? Is that the ledge above the west side of the gap?
Definition of trace (dictionary.com) 1 archaic : a course or path that one follows : a mark or line left by something that has passed; also : footprint : a path, trail, or road made by the passage of animals, people, or vehicles : a sign or evidence of some past thing : vestige : engram After gaining the top of the pass from the Spider Meadow side and enjoying the beautiful view to the north look directly to the right and up along the north side of the mountain you're on and you'll see a faint path or trace going up to what's been written was the mine in question, like a game trail in rocks. I've seen it but never followed it. Too busy. `

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 4:15 am 
up.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 8:58 pm 
I have always heard it had something to do with the spiders they often find on top of the snow fields in late winter early spring. But I don't know. I was coming down off Larch Knob one time and noticed something down in the slide alder way below me. Even though a critter had gotten into my food and I had not eaten in about 15 hours I decided to make a side trip and bushwhacked down through brush over my head to investigate since I knew my brother was interested in old mining history. This is what I found.
Mining tank
Mining tank