Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What is Pokemon Go?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brockton

Brockton
PostTue Jul 19, 2016 7:02 pm 
Last weekend at Lincoln Park in Seattle, I noticed more people than usual walking the trails with their phones out in front of them. I saw that there was a map on the screen for most of them and thought it was some kind of navigation app until I found out that they were all playing Pokemon Go.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostTue Jul 19, 2016 8:25 pm 
Schenk wrote:
As a child and young person I never had a TV that I could take with me in my pocket everywhere, turn on and watch during all waking hours, even in class. My parents also controlled the on-off switch for the TV and told me when I could watch, not the other way around. I was usually outside roaming around anyway and TV and did not occupy a significant part of my time during childhood, same for all of my peers.
Agreed, as a fellow curmudgeon.
Cyclopath wrote:
So, these are the end times?
No doubt about it.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 19, 2016 9:45 pm 
You kids get off my lawn rant.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jul 20, 2016 3:29 pm 
Oh, and you kids can send your parents by if you want your ball back.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 21, 2016 8:44 am 
Sometimes when I go for an evening bike ride, Beth will ask me to bring her phone with me because it hatches her eggs.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
It all seems a bit silly...
I think more than silly, there's a certain sadness to it. Not just Pokemon Go, but anyone's excessive (which is obviously subjective) online existence. The other day I was at a store waiting last in line at a customer service counter. I felt someone staring and turned around to see a young woman, a girl really, standing six feet away, holding her phone up to her face and pointing it at me. She lingered for 15 seconds and never took her eyes off her phone screen. Her expression didn't change and she veered away, focused, still holding her phone in front of her face, and made her way to a nearby elevator. She pointed her phone at the elevator door, which didn't open. She moved on and I lost her in the crowd. Ten minutes later I crossed an aisle and she almost bumped into me. Again, staring into her phone, but this time walking faster. She passed by with a loud giggle, happy about what she'd just seen on her phone screen. I thought she was playing Pokemon Go, but it doesn't matter what she was doing. Staring into her phone, living in that that make-believe world that rewards us with an endless drip of dopamine, she was oblivious to all the faces of everyone around her -- all the expressions on those faces that told little stories, all the colors in the room, the sun shining through big windows, and the sounds, too. She was oblivious to our real world as it went by, never to repeat itself in exactly the same way. She missed it all and that probably wasn't the first or last time. At the end of her life, if she could, I bet she'd like to trade those ten minutes of staring into her phone for looking up and seeing everyone's faces. There is something sad about that.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman