Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Goat Rocks Loop with Old Snowy and Ives
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 7:42 am 
Location : South of Packwood, Wa. Access : SR 12 > FR 21 > FR 2150 Maps : GTM - Goat Rocks Wilderness, TOPO Loop stats : 19 mi, 5600' Peaks : Old Snowy 7930', Ives 7940'
Goat Rock Wilderness Loop with Old Snowy and Ives
Goat Rock Wilderness Loop with Old Snowy and Ives
Getting a little annoyed with the unsettled weather across the Northern part of the state shakehead.gif , and having a trip drawn up and shelved for the Goat Rocks I was able to get Steve to once again join me on a trip to the Klickitat Ridge area (It wasn't a hard sell). Our last trip was Curtis Gilbert via Warm Lake several years ago and it was a pretty awesome destination. We decided to enter via the Snowgrass trail and camp between the Lilly Basin and PCT around 6500' or wherever it looked good and we had a water source. From there we would day hike the PCT North do Old Snowy then traverse over to Ives and back down to camp. The next morning we would drop down to the Lilly Basin trail and hike North to the Upper Goat Creek Basin and checkout Goat Lake and follow the Goat Ridge trail back and close the loop via the connector trail. With that flexible plan we arrived at the Snowgrass TH after 4 hours of driving with stops for construction and logging operations. Fortunately for us it was still late morning, the trail was of interstate quality, and we had a nice forest canopy to shade us most of the way to the top of the basin. The wildflowers were plentiful, spectacular and entering the basin delivered an unexpected blow to the senses eek.gif . WOW ! Mountain views, streaming water everywhere, it was pretty sweet. We setup camp near some trees which gave us some shade and a small stream, ate lunch, hydrated, and scoped out potential routes for Old Snowy and Ives.
Adams
Adams
Ives
Ives
We were shortly on our way North on the PCT which still has snow fields covering it between Old Snowy, as we hiked we checked out the Knife Edge and from the summit had great views of Rainier, Adams, St. Helens, Klickitat Ridge and more. We hiked ESE off the summit avoiding a gendarme over loose crap rock dropping to 7300' - 7400' and traversed over to the saddle just to the West of Ives and then up and back where we gained the steep, loose South side via a small ledge in it's side. Alot of frail, loose rock all the way to the top where we took a break and tried to absorb it all. Good Stuff ! Excellent Stuff ! We dropped down from the summit cautiously then headed all most due West down to maybe 7000' where a stream formed and took another break enjoying the cold water and scenery. No hurry to get back down with everything we wanted and no bugs right where we were. In time we did get back to camp. It had to be the warmest night camping out this year, with a very light wind, and no precipitation or condensation in the a.m.
Steve
Steve
Some remaining scattered snow fields on the PCT.
Some remaining scattered snow fields on the PCT.
That would be some good water.
That would be some good water.
Falls Creek Drainage below the Packwood Glacier and Rainier.
Falls Creek Drainage below the Packwood Glacier and Rainier.
Heading towards Old Snowy.
Heading towards Old Snowy.
We dropped down the SE side of Old Snowy and traversed to Ives around 7300 - 7400'. Nice view of the upper ridge in front of us.
We dropped down the SE side of Old Snowy and traversed to Ives around 7300 - 7400'. Nice view of the upper ridge in front of us.
Ives from Old Snowy.
Ives from Old Snowy.
Curtis Gilbert from Old Snowy.
Curtis Gilbert from Old Snowy.
Snowfield crossed on the traverse from Old Snowy to Ives.
Snowfield crossed on the traverse from Old Snowy to Ives.
It's hot traversing this crap.
It's hot traversing this crap.
Rising traverse to the notch.
Rising traverse to the notch.
Shit summit route to Ives.
sh## summit route to Ives.
Looking East down ridge with fond memories of Curtis Gilbert done via Warm Lake several years ago.
Looking East down ridge with fond memories of Curtis Gilbert done via Warm Lake several years ago.
Steve on Ives summit.
Steve on Ives summit.
Steve coming down from Ives summit.
Steve coming down from Ives summit.
Alot of snow above the basin.
Adams
Adams
I slept like a rock and as usual was up drinking morning coffee in the dark watching the sky lighten up. It is noticeably later now. Steve eventually got up and had some tea and we packed up early. I was excited because I knew we would continue to travel enjoying wildflowers, streams, waterfalls, and mountain views, but that upper basin heading to Goat Lake was much more beautiful than I imagined, and the trail was about as good as you could hope for if you ordered one. Goat Lake was frozen over still and the trail was covered with snow in most places, and finally above Goat Lake on a high ridge we spotted what we had not seen yet on this trip, over 20 mountain goats. Nice ! The whole area up there was a deep green above the snow. We eventually made our way to the Pass on Goat Ridge and dropped down on the ridge's West side and hiked through several basins mostly snow free.
These trails are great.
These trails are great.
Early morning hiking towards Goat Lake / Falls.
Early morning hiking towards Goat Lake / Falls.
An abundance of streams and waterfalls along the North end of the Lily Basin Trail.
An abundance of streams and waterfalls along the North end of the Lily Basin Trail.
Looking down the Goat Creek Basin
Looking down the Goat Creek Basin
Goats !
Goats !
Goat Lake still frozen over along with a good part of the trail around it. We saw 20 plus Mountain Goats on the ridge above it.
Goat Lake still frozen over along with a good part of the trail around it. We saw 20 plus Mountain Goats on the ridge above it.
Parting shot of Klickitat Ridge.
Parting shot of Klickitat Ridge.
Hazy view of Mt. St. Helen's from Goat Ridge.
Hazy view of Mt. St. Helen's from Goat Ridge.
The trail was more a running track than what I am use to and we were cooking through this section eventually making it back to the vehicle a little before 11 a.m. I am only going to say good things about that area, there is so much packed into a small space. A must do trip. smile.gif
Arriving at Goat Lake
Arriving at Goat Lake
Early views of Klickitat Ridge Peaks from PCT
Early views of Klickitat Ridge Peaks from PCT
Goat Lake
Goat Lake
Hawkeye - Goat Lake - Rainier from PCT
Hawkeye - Goat Lake - Rainier from PCT
Hawkeye - Goat Lake and Falls - Rainier
Hawkeye - Goat Lake and Falls - Rainier
Goat Lake from above as we turn and start heading towards Goat Ridge.
Goat Lake from above as we turn and start heading towards Goat Ridge.
Hiking towards the head of the basin.
Hiking towards the head of the basin.
Lake Creek Drainage
Lake Creek Drainage
Looking back at loop in the evening as we return to camp. We sat beside a stream high above the basin and enjoyed fresh cold liquid snow melt.
Looking back at loop in the evening as we return to camp. We sat beside a stream high above the basin and enjoyed fresh cold liquid snow melt.
Looking East from the summit of Old Snowy along the Klickitat Ridge with McCall Glacier below.
Looking East from the summit of Old Snowy along the Klickitat Ridge with McCall Glacier below.
Looking West from below Ives summit
Looking West from below Ives summit
Low trail to the Knife Edge
Low trail to the Knife Edge
Near the head of the Goat Creek Basin with Goat Ridge right.
Near the head of the Goat Creek Basin with Goat Ridge right.
Nice blue pool
Nice blue pool
Nice meadow
Nice meadow
On Ives you drop down to the apparent ledge work just to your left and ascend the pile to the summit.
On Ives you drop down to the apparent ledge work just to your left and ascend the pile to the summit.
Splendid !
Splendid !
Thanks !
Thanks !
The basin below on our way to Ives
The basin below on our way to Ives
Watching the colr show as the sun goes down.
Watching the colr show as the sun goes down.
w heading for Old Snowy
w heading for Old Snowy
w crossing Goat Lake outflow
w crossing Goat Lake outflow

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 8:43 am 
Nice. up.gif I love that view from Old Snowy looking at the crest of the range, culminating with Curtis Gilbert.

Distel32

Distel32
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 8:57 am 
up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Nice. up.gif I love that view from Old Snowy looking at the crest of the range, culminating with Curtis Gilbert.
Gilbert does look pretty sweet from that side. There are several individual tent / bivy sites right near the summit of Old Snowy which would make a nice perch for the night.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 9:27 am 
Nice photos! I did a similar trip 2 weekends ago and saw a big bunch of goats (60!) on one of the ridges below Curtis Gilbert, from Ives summit. Made me wish for a fancier camera.
goats coming over the ridge NW of gilbert..just barely visible in the full size photo
goats coming over the ridge NW of gilbert..just barely visible in the full size photo
the best my camera can do
the best my camera can do

RichP

RichP
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 9:42 am 
Very nice Rob and Steve. I know it takes a lot to get you guys to leave your beloved eastern slopes.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 10:12 am 
Nice photo op! But with such varied terrain, how could you go wrong? Just point the camera in any direction and pull the trigger.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 10:34 am 
rubywrangler wrote:
I did a similar trip 2 weekends ago and saw a big bunch of goats (60!)
Nice ! I know I was telling Steve on our way to Goat Lake and looping out, "What the heck everybody has seen goats but us up here it seems", we never saw any when we were at Warm Lake, Gilbert, or down in the moraine / basin below Warm Lake either, but finally above Goat Lake we saw quite a few. winksmile.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 10:41 am 
wildernessed wrote:
but finally above Goat Lake we saw quite a few
There seems to be a group hanging out above the lake pretty much permanently.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 10:42 am 
Yeah I love going North, less population = less variables. I saw more cars at the TH than I have in 9 years. Usually if we see a car or two it's an exception. This year the rain and storms keep brushing across the North and on satellite they are still lined up across the Pacific you have to catch the intervals between them if you can, while they last. We have done some stuff West of the crest, but in general I don't go that way and I could never do all the things I want on the East Slopes in a lifetime. It's all good, that is just my preference.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 10:44 am 
up.gif I need a better camera, but lightweight. I think I spent my allowance for gear for this year though.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 3:34 pm 
Nice looking loop. Must have been a scorcher on the eastern side during that time frame. cool.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 3:54 pm 
Very nice! I'm doing a similar trip with my dad in about a month. Looking forward to it! Great pics!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 10:01 am 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Nice looking loop. Must have been a scorcher on the eastern side during that time frame. cool.gif
It was actually a little over a hundred back in Wenatchee so a good time to leave. gag.gif

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 10:05 am 
up.gif Nice photos!