Forum Index > Partners > Weekday Rainier Gutshot?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mailboxed

mailboxed
PostMon Jun 06, 2016 8:47 pm 
Looking for a one day grinder up and down Rainier. Would like to leave Paradise about 6pm and pull into Muir as it is getting dark. Grab a bite and grab a couple z's sans tent for a couple hours and then up and down with (slightly before?!) the crowds. I've climbed it a number of times and am comfortable going solo or together, but more is (almost) always better!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sam18802

sam18802
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 2:03 pm 
Physically I would flat out love to join in. That's a hell of a challenge. But, I'm afraid I wouldn't be comfortable without practical application of crevasse rescue. Better safe than sorry.

Love hiking and mountains!
mailboxed

mailboxed
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 2:12 pm 
Thanks for the interest Sam. Self awareness is a valuable thing. And yes, I think getting a little crevasse/axe//rope time is wise. Hopefully this community can provide someone to ramp with? (And I'm sure I'll invoke the wrath of the "alpinistas", but Rainier is such a congo line that you can always link up with someone at some point who knows what they are doing, haha!......uh oh, there I went and did it!)

sam18802

sam18802
PostTue Jun 07, 2016 2:19 pm 
True that. Bummer all I've done roped up is Snowfield and Eldorado. Time constraints always prevent stopping to actually set up the z pulley and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Love hiking and mountains!
MountainKook
Noobin' it up

MountainKook
Noobin' it up
PostMon Jun 13, 2016 9:51 am 
mailboxed, When are you looking to climb? What does your packing list look like for the one-day push?

mailboxed

mailboxed
PostThu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 am 
I'd like to go in the next couple weeks. Waiting longer just means a longer day of avoiding crevasses and more risk. I'll pack light and leave a stuff sack with bag and bivvy at Muir. From there I'll just take a summit bag with the basics.

evergreen16

evergreen16
PostFri Jun 17, 2016 11:54 am 
I might be interested. Last time I went for one day summit had to turn around near the top because friend didn't feel good. That was from the White river side. Next weekend could work.

mailboxed

mailboxed
PostTue Jun 21, 2016 10:05 pm 
Quick update....looking at July 7th or 8th right now.

mailboxed

mailboxed
PostWed Aug 03, 2016 11:19 pm 
Quick follow up, I knocked it out last week. Got a late start but still got up and down the same day. Packed almost nothing and it was still too much. Only tricky part was the paperwork for solo climbing. I'll post a report soon. Still interested in heading up again if others are interested.

christensent

christensent
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 7:22 pm 
mailboxed wrote:
Quick follow up, I knocked it out last week. Got a late start but still got up and down the same day. Packed almost nothing and it was still too much. Only tricky part was the paperwork for solo climbing. I'll post a report soon. Still interested in heading up again if others are interested.
Did you actually get solo paperwork on the spot? I was under the impression that was strictly impossible...

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
mailboxed

mailboxed
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 8:02 pm 
Maybe I hit the climbing ranger lottery but the guy there, Julian, checked my stuff and launched me up the mountain. More factually, after getting there at 0705 and waiting for the two guys in front of me to sloooowly get their typical paperwork in order I filled out the few pages where you list glacier climbing experience, rescue techniques, etc and got the stamp of approval by 0815. Ideally I would have come the night before but other commitments precluded that option. At Muir I cruised right through but apparently the rangers there had been looking for me just to check in on the way. On the way back down I said hi and gave them a down and dirty recap. All good smile.gif Good luck!