Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Fur Trade and Diversity
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Aug 09, 2016 6:59 am 
This is a current news story involving the early fur trade in North America. Although it's not about the English or American trapper involvement in the NW it's relevant to the general history and contemporary political correctness. Note: In the fur trade Native Americans were routinely hired by the fur trapping companies. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/08/college-removes-paintings-native-americans-after-diversity-group-complains.html

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 4:08 am 
Cal Peters, Painting, Mural, Micheals Hall
Painting Restoration
Painting Restoration

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 9:49 am 
Nahema Marchal, reporting for FOX news wrote:
After 80 years of decorating the university’s Harvey Hall, the paintings caught the attention of the school’s Diversity Leadership Team (DLT), which complained to the administration that this depiction of First Nations people reinforced racial stereotypes and promoted “acts of domination and oppression.”
There are a lot of people in the world who are bored and have nothing better to do with their time.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 5:35 pm 
The diversity folks prefer revisionist history. The fur trappers hired the natives to trap the animals. I don't know how they can hide from that fact. And trade items were exchanged; trade pots, knives, beads, etc. It was a simple employment and I don't see what was wrong with it, except that there was a strong desire by some for the tribes to be farmers.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 6:25 pm 
screw "diversity". if they wanted Native Americans to be agrarian societies, they should move to the southeastern (or maybe the southwestern) part of the North American continent. otherwise most Native American tribes were hunter-gatherer societies. historical revisionists need to be called out on their BS, promptly, loudly, and relentlessly, until they fold their cards and go home.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 12, 2016 7:04 am 
Ski wrote:
historical revisionists need to be called out on their BS
This news story broke and only one cable network mentioned it, and sheepishly. Obviously people are intimidated by political correctness. US history professors should be up in arms because the study of history is about the telling of the truth and not sweeping common knowledge under the rug. Below is a map of what was a vast wilderness area called Northwest Territory. French trappers had a big presence there and hired willing Native Americans to work in the fur trade. It was a trade because money didn't exist in the middle of nowhere. There were only trading posts, forts.
northwest_territory
northwest_territory
ps: we need to understand this important history for the sake of our current endangered species. ..

trestle

trestle
PostFri Aug 12, 2016 8:16 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
ps: we need to understand this important history for the sake of our current endangered species
Absolutely. And revisionism is just another way to obscure the truth and encourage the masses to ignore critical thinking and go along with the mob. Considering they excel at revisionism of all sorts, no surprise that Fox was the group that aired it.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 12, 2016 11:16 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
"...only one cable network mentioned it..."
it's of little surprise that few are "up in arms" about something published or aired by FOX news, the modern-day equivalent of "Weekly World News" or "National Enquirer". I wouldn't get all worked up over something I read in "The Onion", either.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 12, 2016 2:29 pm 
I try to be well rounded in my news intake. Often before fur trading forts were built it was determined that there were tribes in the neighborhood who would trade with the Europeans. Some didn't and some did. Fort Nisqually at Puget Sound had a tribe that welcomed the trade and the fort was built. The Native Americans trapped and traded for trade goods. The diversity group should respect those tribes decisions instead of trying to hide the fact.

Klapton

Klapton
PostFri Aug 12, 2016 4:23 pm 
What I find to be silly, and ends up actually degrading natives, is the idea that somehow they were automatically getting the shaft every time they traded with white people. That trading with whites automatically meant exploitation. The nature of any voluntary trade is that BOTH sides believe they are getting the better deal. "You mean, I can get a sweet cast iron pot for a couple of pelts? Awesome." Meanwhile, the white dudes were like, "omg, those rich dweebs back east can't get enough of those stupid hats, we're gonna make bank." How is this not a win-win? Why do these revisionists basically say, "well it automatically sucked to be you, Mr. Native," as if they were too dumb to decide whether or not a trade was to their benefit? It's insulting. They traded with whites because they had nice stuff. And if they didn't like the stuff, they wouldn't have traded for it. Do they really believe that natives were too dumb to make basic decisions like that?

trestle

trestle
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 9:38 am 
Klapton wrote:
Do they really believe that natives were too dumb to make basic decisions like that?
Yes, they do.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 9:55 am 
Ski wrote:
screw "diversity"... historical revisionists need to be called out on their BS, promptly, loudly, and relentlessly, until they fold their cards and go home.
up.gif All the way around, well said.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 11:04 am 
re: Klapton's post just above - Interesting and salient point that's seldom raised. Probably a lot easier to just assume that all trading and bartering was advantageous for one side only; more fuel for the "white guilt" fire.

Klapton

Klapton
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 12:08 pm 
So, it's obvious in the big picture that natives got screwed and Europeans were the ones who screwed them. But that doesn't mean that EVERY interaction was one sided. Especially when it was still trappers and explorers who were vastly outnumbered and had no choice but to conduct themselves as guests in someone else's land. It's when the government and it's armies showed up that things REALLY went to hell.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 3:11 pm 
Klapton wrote:
Especially when it was still trappers and explorers who were vastly outnumbered and had no choice but to conduct themselves as guests in someone else's land.
Lewis and Clark traded with the Native Americans. The coastal tribes had already been dealing with trading ships from many nations. Here is what Lewis and Clark brought to trade on the overland journey: http://lewisandclarktrail.com/legacy/tradinggoods.htm One of the things that the local madams liked to trade with were their young girls. The VD at Fort Clatsop at the mouth of the Columbia River was so bad that Captain Lewis issued orders for the men to only have one girlfriend at a time. I suspect that the madams and young girls got most of those trade goods. Exploitation?