Forum Index > Gear Talk > trail or soft shell pants for summer weather?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Aug 08, 2016 9:54 pm 
Any recommendations for trail/scrambling pants for 40 to 75 degree weather? Have been using Railriders and ready to move on to something else. Tough, shred proof seat and knees would be nice but overall comfort, durability are my top interests. Thanks, Eric

Off trail rambler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 10:59 am 
bump

Off trail rambler
trestle

trestle
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 8:17 pm 
I've been wearing Columbia Royce Peak pants this year and like their stretch and durability. They're not high-waisted but they don't show your butt crack if you bend over. A comfy mid-rise with a gusseted crotch. Very comfortable.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 10:56 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
Tough, shred proof seat and knees would be nice but overall comfort, durability are my top interests.
Never seen such a pant. Either you drop durability for comfort, or increase comfort for durability. My friends have gone with biking tights cut off right below the knees. Last far better than any pants around. My brother went with double tin pants from Filson.com. Take a while to wear in as brand new they are VERY stiff and not comfortable. I gave up long ago and grabbed 500D Cordura from Seattle Fabrics with a urethane coating and stitched it onto the buns and on my knees of normal pants. I initially used way too fine a thread and the stitching tore. Finally got some "real" thread, don't ask me what it is, I don't know and the label is long since gone, and have not had any problems since then. Waterproof knees and buns. Great for fall/spring when everything is wet and you want to sit down. Even when your sit pad is wet. PS. Had to cut up the knee area to I could stitch the patch on. Someone with better sewing skills probably would not have to do this... doh.gif bawl.gif That being said, PANTS hiking? eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif shakehead.gif dizzy.gif shakehead.gif dizzy.gif Unless you are pushing through nettles or poison ivy on the regular... Then of course, go with those super thick rubberized bibs with suspenders or chaps over shorts.

hetrekker

hetrekker
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 11:55 pm 
Interesting ideas, Spamfoote. Got general dimensions on knee and butt patch sizes? You might consider knee patches cut on the diagonal +45-45 deg. cordura thread orientation vs. standard 0, 90 for better knee fit and flex. What pants do you consider "normal"? And "chaps with shorts", tell me more: brand, example, place to get, material to use. Thanks

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 14, 2016 2:00 am 
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 12:26 pm 
Thanks everyone for the replies. Eric

Off trail rambler
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Aug 19, 2016 10:48 am 
Value Village, Goodwill. <$5 single-layer nylon shell. must slip over boots. velcro gusset better than zipper gusset. best if it fits over boot like a bell-bottom. you can find good wind shells there too.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.