Forum Index > Gear Talk > Cooler for Car Camping
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Aug 15, 2016 11:47 am 
I don't think I understand why you need to have your ice chest longer than 2 days in the car. Do you camp by streams? Leaving your car at trailhead to go out hiking? I always put my cold stuff in a mesh bag and leave it in a stream....but of course the trick is to find the stream out of the way of others looking. You gotta hide the stuff!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Aug 15, 2016 4:00 pm 
Bears? Other varmints? Not smart to leave food out where they can get at it!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 15, 2016 4:05 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I don't think I understand why you need to have your ice chest longer than 2 days in the car.
Last trip we were out for 7 days doing day hikes from the car and never going near anywhere that sold ice. No streams near the camp (we also carry 7 gallons of water in the car).

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 10:14 pm 
Re where Yeti coolers are manufactured:
Quote:
WHERE ARE YETI PRODUCTS MANUFACTURED? Our Tundra coolers [the model I referred to] are manufactured in the USA at facilities located in Iowa and Wisconsin as well as at a facility located in the Philippines. Our Hopper coolers and Rambler drinkware are manufactured in China. Want a YETI Tundra made in the USA? Call us at 512.394.9384 and we’ll make it happen.
http://yeti.com/faq/

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Aug 16, 2016 10:33 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Last trip we were out for 7 days
With conscientious handling, your new Engel should keep ice for 7 days in summer weather. Enjoy it! Also, you might know, the consensus is keeping cold water in a cooler -- not draining it -- keeps contents colder longer. Only drain water to make room for new items or new ice.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 5:47 am 
Expedition Portal states manufacturing origin: Canyon Outfitter 35 - USA Engel DeepBlue 35 - Thailand Grizzly 40 - USA Igloo Sportsman 40 - USA Pelican Elite 35 - USA Yeti Tundra 45 - USA and Philippines I was surprised so many are made here. It also explains the lower price of the Engel.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 6:10 am 
Here are the ones I considered in the 55-70 qt sizes and the prices I found: ORCA Extra Heavy Duty 58 - $400 (Amazon) Pelican ProGear Elite 65 - $320 (Amazon) Engel Deep Blue 65 - $272 (Amazon) Yeti Tundra 65 - $400 (REI) Igloo Yukon 70 - $245 (Amazon) Cabela Polar Cap 60 - $300 (Cabela) Grizzly 60 - $425 (Amazon) Canyon Outfitter 55 - $350 (Amazon) RTIC 65 - $200 (RTIC)

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 9:11 am 
How come nobody has mentioned using dry ice wrapped in paper or a towelto lay over the top of the inside of your cooler? I haven't used it, but I have friends who use it and say it helps a lot.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 10:45 am 
Filling the voids inside the cooler helps. Additional ice is best, but you can use towels, newspaper, etc. On river trips we keep a wet towel draped over the outside of the cooler. Also, despite what many claim, don't drain the water.

Oldguy

Oldguy
PostThu Oct 13, 2016 9:58 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Bears? Other varmints? Not smart to leave food out where they can get at it!
Spent a week on an isolated river in British Columbia fishing and we put our food in a net-bag with a rock in it in the river. Lots of bears with tracks in the sand every morning and had zero problems. Grizzlies and Black bears.

Vluch

Vluch
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:20 am 
I cant bring myself to buy a $400 cooler, but if i was going to, it would be an engle. Just the fact they come up in conversations with little to no advertising (that i have seen) is a testament to their quality. After watching the video, it looks like the coleman held ice just as well as the engle and the yeti didnt even come close. Not saying yeti is bad, but for the money, you can get better. Me, ill stick to my colemans and igloos. I had a coleman extreeme hold ice for 7 days in the direct sunlight in july which is plenty for me! We used a small cooler to keep food/drinks an the coleman got opened once a day to refill the small cooler. Here's how I look at it: Yeti/engle: extremely durable. heavy! Good ice retention. Probably last 10 years. Cost $400 https://www.ebay.com/bhp/pelican-cooler Coleman/igloo: not as durable. Much lighter, same (or close) ice retention, probably last 2 years. Cost $40 So for half the cost over a 10 year period, i can get a cooler that holds ice just as well,weighs less, and im not heartbroken if it gets stolen, lost, or breaks! Ice retention/cooler performance has more to do with cooler prep and temperature regulation than price. For extended trips, chill your cooler ahead of time, chill or freeze the items you are placing in the cooler ahead of time and keep the lid tightly closed as much as possible and just about any quality cooler will keep ice 5+ days! On extended trips, i fill the cooler with ice and the items i cant freeze that i plan to take 2 days before the trip, the day of the trip, i drain the water, add the frozen items, and refill te cooler with ice. This gives me 5-6 days of ice retention on a coleman extreme and another 1-2 days of cold items (little to no ice) in our texas summers.

Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 8:32 am 
My vet gives away styerfoam coolers that pet meds are delivered in. Other vets may have the same. Holds a block of dry ice perfectly with frozen meats below. Keeps about 5 days. They are small enough to place in the freezer to pre chill. Have only done this for one trip but the results are promising. Frozen jugs of water for the colman cooler for beverages. Will need to research other models that have been mentioned in previous posts as the colman needs to be replaced.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:19 am 
I had a Coleman Xtreme for awhile. Meh. I sold it on CL. Not a fair fight vs. Yeti, Engel or Pelican. If a Coleman Xtreme outperformed a Yeti in a test, the test was flawed of rigged. Engel, Yeti, Pelican and RTIC perform similarly in tests. Each of the 4 have topped various tests because test results vary per conditions of test. Conditions of actual use in the field more than close the gap between these 4 coolers. Open lid as seldom as possible. Keep cooler in shade. If there's no shade, cover with a reflective material. If near water, cover cooler with wet cloth. Big blocks of ice will last longer than small ice cubes. Cool cooler before use (e.g., put in freezer if possible). Etc., etc., etc. Ozark Trail (Walmart) perform quite well, a half notch below Yeti, Engel, Pelican.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:45 pm 
I've used a Coleman XTreme for a few years, I can count on at least 4 days, sometimes 5. Cheap, good enough.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:06 pm 
+1 for Coleman Xtreme. Works great for a few days. Great price to value ratio. Can't provide any rigorous analysis though.