Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Adams beta?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 12:43 pm 
I'm considering hiking up the south side of Mt Adams with two of my grandkids (13 & 15) in the next week or so. Any suggestions, recent trail condition reports, warnings, etc you'd care to share?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 2:41 pm 
Hiked the south side a month ago. People get all upset when I refer to hills higher than Queen Anne as a simple walk up, but I'll offer this- On a clear day, you would have to reeeeally try hard to get off route. Of the 300 people we met heading up or down the summit on a weekend, we met at least 20 children, a miniature weiner dog, a guy summiting for the second time at age 81, and two dudesfrom seattle who were so stoned I was truly concerned for their safety. The glissade will be slightly less epic this late in season, no doubt, but probably still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I wore trail runners and micro spikes. Never wished for an ice axe. Some stiffer boots would have been nice on the steeper bits. We did it as a day hike, I thought that was nicer than haulin a bunch of shtuff up to crowded lunch counter. Get em up there!!

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 3:06 pm 
You're required to purchase a Volcano pass ($15.00 per person on weekends) and blue bag your waste. Sunscreen is essential. Have fun!

roar huge

roar huge
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 4:50 pm 
While it is technically a walkup, it's still a big mountain, and a long day. Just because other people did it in sneakers with their dachsund, does not make it a good idea to go unprepared. The south spur trail is steep enough that all should have an ice axe, and know how to to self-arrest. Make sure you're prepared with cold-weather gear (especially this weekend) and ensure you're physically fit enough to do 6000+ feet over 12 miles in a day. Most people aren't. I'm sick of everyone downplaying Adams as no big deal. Sure you don't need ropes, and you're not going to fall into a crevasse on the south side- but it's the second highest peak in the state and should be treated as such. We already lost one person on the mountain this year, and we'll continue to have more accidents, and waste the time of our generous SAR crews by being overly arrogant about our pursuits. /rant

- scott h
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 5:23 pm 
PorcupinePhobia wrote:
On a clear day, you would have to reeeeally try hard to get off route.
This true -- it is also true that Mt Adams is big enough to "generate it's own weather" and clouds can form on the summit and envelope you amazingly quickly. On a warm sunny day the summer snow slopes will typically be softened enough for descent footing -- but when clouds and fog blow in -- they can freeze up hard in minutes. When I was there a couple of years ago at the end of July, almost all the parties the day before turned around at or below Piker's Peak because of sub-freezing temperatures and 50+mph winds. Our summit day was sunny and calm with just enough clouds formed over the peak to provide some respite from the intense sun. My top advise is watch to weather conditions carefully and be willing to beat a hasty retreat if conditions are unfavorable above the lunch counter. Doing it as a one day is logistically simpler and you don't need to lug overnight gear -- however it is 6000ft + of elevation gain -- so you should be in good enough shape to do Mt Si (~4000ft elevation gain without being sore the next day) The pay off of lugging overnight gear to the Lunch Counter is that the sunset and sunrise that high on the mountain is spectacular. The sun can be very intense -- I recommend glacier sunglasses with very dark lens and side shields. Some sort of hat with brim -- or a baseball cap + bandana to protect the neck. Long sleeved shirts and pants. SPF 70+ sunscreen for the face and lips. When I was 13, my dad and I climbed Ive's peak in the Goat Rocks during the spring (ski tour) and I refused to let him apply sunscreen (zinc oxide at the time) , my resulting sunburn had large blisters and lips cracked so bad that I lived on milkshakes for several days after we got back to town. Minor note -- If you camp at the Lunch Counter, be sure to fill all water containers from intermittent streams in the afternoon/evening while they are flowing -- in the morning they will be frozen up tight.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 7:01 pm 
good advice, also take another one of the essientials....AN ALTIMETER WITH MAP...this weekend fog or some such could come in... gps extra batterys....whatever...

Mikey

Mikey
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 10:32 am 
Altitude Sickness Children are especially vulnerable to altitude sickness, and can experience high altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE) and high altitude cerebral edema (HACE) below 2,500 metres (8,000 feet). Men are 5 times more likely than women to develop HAPE, but acute mountain sickness (AMS) and HACE affect men and women equally. If someone has had altitude sickness before, they have a 3 times greater risk. If someone usually lives below 3,000 metres, they are at more than 3 times the risk of those who reside at higher altitudes. However, if someone lives at a high altitude, an increased risk can develop even after a brief stay at lower elevations.

gb

gb
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 11:18 am 
Haven't been in a while, but assuming the false summit snowfield is still intact, it is about 35 degrees. If we do continue to transition to cooler weather it wouldn't be surprising if the snow would be hard this late. Consider that and carry crampons if it is cool.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Sep 01, 2016 8:15 pm 
gb wrote:
Haven't been in a while, but assuming the false summit snowfield is still intact, it is about 35 degrees. If we do continue to transition to cooler weather it wouldn't be surprising if the snow would be hard this late. Consider that and carry crampons if it is cool.
Will do, and have been poking around gathering some gear for the kids today. One access question now. If coming down from south sound, is it advisable to go all the way to Vancouver or Portland and head east to White Salmon, then north on FS-23 or cut over from I-5 onto US-12, then down FS 23? Thanks all,

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostFri Sep 02, 2016 7:29 am 
moonspots wrote:
One access question now. If coming down from south sound, is it advisable to go all the way to Vancouver or Portland and head east
FS-23 is closed due to washouts between Randle and FS-90. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/giffordpinchot/recreation and scroll down to see the road conditions. You'll need to go the long way around.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 02, 2016 7:56 am 
moonspots wrote:
One access question now. If coming down from south sound, is it advisable to go all the way to Vancouver or Portland and head east to White Salmon, then north on FS-23 or cut over from I-5 onto US-12, then down FS 23?
Remember that you need to stop by the Mt Adams Ranger District office in Trout Lake to pickup your "Volcano Pass" Even if you already have your pass or were thinking of picking it up in Randle instead of Trout Lake -- google maps calculates faster travel time Via I-5, I-205 and I-84 to Hood river.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Sep 02, 2016 9:37 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
moonspots wrote:
One access question now. If coming down from south sound, is it advisable to go all the way to Vancouver or Portland and head east to White Salmon, then north on FS-23 or cut over from I-5 onto US-12, then down FS 23?
Remember that you need to stop by the Mt Adams Ranger District office in Trout Lake to pickup your "Volcano Pass"[/url] Even if you already have your pass or were thinking of picking it up in Randle instead of Trout Lake -- google maps calculates faster travel time Via I-5, I-205 and I-84 to Hood river.
Ah, thank you for that. I didn't try google maps as I'm more than slightly tired of its voice directing me all over creation to get from A to B (and I'm guessing here), in order to save a few feet in travel distance. Yes, I was going to the Ranger Station, but thought the back road(s) might be fun to drive and look around. However, now that I have to go through White Salmon, I may have to stop in at "Everybody's Brewery" again... ;-)