Forum Index > Gear Talk > Stove recommendation for a frustrated whisper light owner...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mjl

mjl
PostTue Aug 23, 2016 8:34 pm 
After way too many frustrating years, I'm giving up on the whisper light stove (worked great one weekend, on the next trip a total bust). However, I have no idea what else is out there. Any recommendations ( I don't like using canisters because of size & disposability) but will consider. I loved the whisper light for its size & weight but it is the most unreliable piece of equipment I've ever owned. On the other hand, if ay one has any tips to make the thing work better...(typically fuel will enter the cup fine but can't get a sustained flame. taking it all apart, cleaning etc doesn't seem to make a difference...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 23, 2016 11:28 pm 
after hauling a Coleman Peak1 for almost 20 years, I went with an MSR Dragonfly a few years ago. I have had very few issues with it. Failed once in the field but was remedied fairly easily.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
KevinDo

KevinDo
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 12:31 am 
Have you tried contacting MSR to see what they could do for you? When you say you can get fuel entering the cup do you mean to say you are having issues with priming? A nice small canister stove I like to use is the Kovea Spider. Can cook pancakes and other things on it!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 7:28 am 
Which iteration of the Whisperlite do you have? I have one that uses the "ShakerJet" design -- the idea was to incorporate the cleaning needle into the burner with a weight on one end so that you could clean the jet just by shaking the stove. The problem is that often times the cleaning needle gets stuck in the jet while being packed. So users of the "ShakerJet" stoves needed to shake the stove everytime as part of setting it up -- with solid final hard bang down to ensure that the cleaning needle was not left stuck in the jet. If you want simplicity and reliability, but don't want to use a canister stove -- consider an alcohol stove -- though those may be subject to fire restrictions in some areas from time to time.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 8:06 am 
I got an MSR Reactor a few years back after being a white-gas die-hard for years. Initially I used it only for summer trips due to the canister freezing issue, but I solved that with a plastic bowl- I set the stove/canister in it and put hot water in it. They melt snow and boil water SO much faster that I've not looked back at all. The biggest hassle is choosing to carry partial canisters up mountains knowing they won't last long.

If not now, when?
Damian

Damian
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 8:13 am 
The problem is usually jet clogging which is a pain. Cleaning the jet requires removing it and cleaning with a small wire. I tried the shaker-jet solution but didn't like it either so replaced the original jet. A prevention strategy is to periodically remove the jet and blast fuel through the open ended hose to remove any small particles. Then visually ensure the fuel in the bottle is perfectly clean and free from crap settling at the bottom. Use a Colman fuel, or other fine mesh filter when filling. I have found these steps cure 90% of the problem. I've also seen small fuel filters you can install on the fuel induction hose, but I don't have one. I've used my current Whisperlite for over 30 years.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 10:53 am 
Clean or replace the fuel filter thing. That can be an overlooked issue. All I know is that my liquid fuel MSR stoves (Whisperlite, Dragonfly, and XGK) have been the most reliable stoves I have ever owned as long as I have kept them maintained. One summer I did take out my Dragonfly without cleaning it. I ended up cleaning it in the field, which I don't like to do. Take it apart during a lull time in the year, clean it thoroughly, replace any worn parts, lube it, and put it back together. Give it a test fire to make sure all is well, then you will be set for another year of reliable stove use. I replace the O-rings about every two or three years. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 1:20 pm 
If you don't care to work on the stove yourself, I think MSR can recondition it for you. In the past, I've taken my Whisperlite to REI, but I don't recall if they do the work themselves or send it out to MSR. I recently purchased a MSR Reactor. It brings a quart of water to a full rolling boil in a little over a minute. I can already tell it uses about 25% less fuel to do so than my Snow Peak or my Whisperlite. In windy conditions, I'm anticipating the Reactor will use a whole lot less than either of the other two.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 3:55 pm 
I've used a snow peak gigapower since '04, no issues and it's light/compact. I use a reactor for windy conditions and snow melting, otherwise it's too bulky/heavy for me. My whisperlite has come in handy a few times but it doesn't seem to excel in any way and takes a little work/maintenance.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
pula58

pula58
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 pm 
I have used the same whisperlite sinse 1988! Over the years every part has been replaced (as part of maintenance) except the legs and jet housing. The jet is now a shaker jet and the thing has always worked for me. * It does need to be shaken before you use use (each time) * I think you should prime it with as little fuel that will do the job (to try to minimize the soot that clogs the jet) * You need to clean the fuel line periodically (once a year typically) Call MSR, they'll help you!

dla

dla
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 9:53 pm 
I hate to say this, but SVEA123R OK, now that you are done laughing...... I bought one a couple years ago mainly because it is cute. Turns out the little bugger is the most reliable white gas stove I've ever owned. My "maintenance" consists of making sure it has fuel in it. I'm semi-serious if you are looking for a ultra-reliable single-person stove. I say "semi" because most folks can't get past the notion of the weight and the supposed noise. It always works for me.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 2:40 am 
A canister stove is all that's necessary for summer backpacking. Mine is a MSR Windpro. Sweet & simple.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 5:54 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
The biggest hassle is choosing to carry partial canisters up mountains knowing they won't last long.
Although the OP specified they didn't especially want a canister-using stove, to hrlp with cascadeclimber's dilemma we can do a little experiment. Place a full canister and an empty canister in a pan of water. Note the difference on buoyancy and take a picture. Then you can float your partially-used cans to estimate how empty they are. Any that have insufficient contents for the trip planned are saved for car camping use.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 6:56 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Any that have insufficient contents for the trip planned are saved for car camping use.
Works great if you car camp a lot. I don't ever, so I usually carry an almost-empty along with an almost-full. frown.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Aug 25, 2016 12:32 pm 
White gas vs. canister: Back in the late 1980s, I was on a 9-day group trip. I had a Whisperlite and everyone else had canisters (the old Bluet, back then). It was very frustrating to have everyone else in the party done eating when my water was just coming to a boil! Yes, the Whisperlite heats up fast, but never mentioned in the boiling time comparisons is that you have to pump it up first! I switched to canister (Bluet back then, Primus Micron now) and never looked back! No more pumping, hooray! Easier than the water, just weigh the canister. Most canisters show the net weight (fuel only) and the gross weight (fuel plus canister), so it's easy to determine when all that's left is the canister. It's also a good way to determine how much fuel you use over a certain time so you can calculate how much you need for the next trip. If you're determined to stay with the Whisperlite, I concur that MSR will fix it for you!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey