Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:02 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Savage Youth Rifle: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youth+rifle&view=detail&mid=9B589012EA15319A5F0C9B589012EA15319A5F0C&FORM=VIRE Single shot .22 said to be a good pack rifle.
If you're just looking for something that goes "BANG!" for recreation, this will do it. It is, of course, a kid's gun or for a small-framed shooter. The image underscores this. The stock is awfully short for an adult of normal size.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand
PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:57 pm 
I was in a Cabele's not long ago, in Yakima, and they had an old AR-9, if I recall. It was sold as a survival rifle. Broke down into three components and fit into the synthetic stock. Supposedly it would float. It was a .322 so for a smaller person or first rifle not a bad choice. No, I didn't buy it. I've no use for something like that.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Aug 26, 2016 4:51 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
If you're just looking for something that goes "BANG!" for recreation
Dave, what is a Pack Rifle? I thought that it was a small, light rabbit hunting tool. But, I'm not a hunter and could be mistaken.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Sep 26, 2016 4:24 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I'm not a hunter but I like good food. If I was hungry I'd eat rabbit stew for dinner.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Oct 02, 2016 4:45 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I'm not a hunter but I like good food. If I was hungry I'd eat rabbit stew for dinner.
No. you wouldn't. You'd have to become a hunter, first.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Oct 02, 2016 4:53 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Dave, what is a Pack Rifle? I thought that it was a small, light rabbit hunting tool. But, I'm not a hunter and could be mistaken.
A "pack rifle" is a generic term for a lightweight firearm that breaks down for carry. They're typically, but not always, rimfires used for more than just hunting rabbits. Grouse, other small game, coyotes and vermin; whatever needs one is faced with, that's what they're good for. The AR-7, for example, is considered a "pack rifle"/survival rifle by a lot of people.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Nov 22, 2016 1:03 pm 
Coming in late here How about the 10/22 Takedown? Granted, it is not really a "trail" gun, but it is a "pack-able" gun. Nevertheless, the 10/22 is a decent little rifle....to bad it is still difficult to find .22lr at a decent price, or in volume.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Nov 22, 2016 2:18 pm 
My bud has a 10/22 Takedown. Nice rifle, seems to shoot as well as a regular 10/22.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Nov 26, 2016 8:54 am 
BigSteve wrote:
My bud has a 10/22 Takedown. Nice rifle, seems to shoot as well as a regular 10/22.
I tested one for a story in GUN WORLD about a year ago. They're a hoot for plinking, and if you want one on the trail for a bunny or hare, or even a grouse this time of year, it will certainly suffice. Make sure of your target out in the woods, of course. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Dec 02, 2016 10:56 am 
I know a few guys who carry either a Ruger MKIII or a Buckmark for a grouse/rabbit trail gun. In fact, if you want something quick to draw, and accurate withing a reasonable range, a target style .22 pistol works very well for that purpose.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 1:25 am 
Schenk wrote:
I know a few guys who carry either a Ruger MKIII or a Buckmark for a grouse/rabbit trail gun. In fact, if you want something quick to draw, and accurate withing a reasonable range, a target style .22 pistol works very well for that purpose.
Sure does. On the trail with a Mark IV.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Dec 23, 2016 10:17 pm 
I have a Mark II and every thing you say is true only thing to keep in mind is it weighs as much as a 1911.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Dec 31, 2016 8:54 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I have a Mark II and every thing you say is true only thing to keep in mind is it weighs as much as a 1911.
Well, the new Mark IV Target model weighs less. Aluminum frame. Easy carry for someone like me who actually carries a Commander every day. Very easy to clean, too! up.gif Cold this a.m. I may even take a cruise up the middle fork to see if I can spot a bunny. Take a walk in the woods. Listen to the trees grow. HAPPY NEW YEAR! biggrin.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 10, 2017 6:14 pm 
I just got my WA CPL. Yay! First ever for me. Yes, I know it isn't needed for hiking purposes, or travel to/from, and I don't just carry in the grocery store for example, but I still found myself a few times on a mixed use trip that included some hiking, but too much other stuff that doesn't qualify as "legitimate outdoor activities" or "traveling to or from", so I wanted the CPL just to be sure. I haven't been pulled over while driving in 15 years, but if I was, better to have the CPL than to try to prove I was traveling to or from a hike or canoe trip. I do always carry pepper spray, in case of a vicious dog, or drunken moron at work, and because I want more options than choosing between nothing and shooting. I have a Ruger 380 LCP with a Crimson Trace laser.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:15 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I just got my WA CPL. Yay! First ever for me.... I have a Ruger 380 LCP with a Crimson Trace laser.
Well, that's a start. winksmile.gif Before getting real serious, seek competent instruction.