Forum Index > Photography Talk > mirrorless camera ?s
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Jul 27, 2016 6:59 pm 
All the shots I took since last year are with a Panasonic LX100. I find it a nice compromise between quality, function and form factor. Plenty of reviews out there. Compact enough to fit in a shoulder pocket.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kenji

Kenji
PostMon Aug 08, 2016 5:52 pm 
I've been using Fuji-X cameras for the past 4 years, and pretty happy with them. XP1 has an optical/electronic view finder, xt1 just electronic one. They are both APS-C 16MP. The X system now has a full range of excellent lenses. For most hike/ski trips, I usually take 10-24mm and 18-135mm zooms weighing about 3lb. For overnight trips, add a tripod, one or two fast prime lenses for night shots, about 2lb. The high ISO is very usable, mine is usually set to 400, sometimes use up to 6400 for stars. XT1 and 18-135 zoom are weather-sealed. They are churning out more weather-sealed lenses including many primes. They just upgraded to XP2, soon XT2 with faster AF, 24MP sensor. My problem now is when/how to upgrade mine. Anybody interested in XP1/XT1?

iron

iron
PostWed Aug 10, 2016 9:12 pm 
gb

gb
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 7:37 am 
iron wrote:
well this was an interesting, deflating read: http://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/sonys-full-frame-pro-mirrorless-fatal-mistake/
Although the Sony FF body is smaller (thinner) than the Nikons and Canons; because the sensor is FF, the diameter of the lenses is the same as the big guys. So, the weight saving is minimal (just the body) if comparable lenses are used. Only in m4/3 are you able to get the full advantage of weight savings with a multiple interchangeable lens system. I have one of the biggest m4/3 bodies, the Olympus EM-1 which makes it, if I recall, around 430 grams; not much different than Sony......but, the lenses are radically different in weight - for comparable focal lengths. You can look up the exact weights on the Olypus/Panny websites under specifications. One can keep a lightweight system with Sony only by using short focal length fixed lenses, or with cheaper kit zooms with a higher F stop base. You don't need to do that with m4/3. My smallest lens is a 60 (120)mm macro that is superb and weighs 182 grams, the 8 (16)mm FE is about 300g, the 12-40 (24-80) zoom is 400 or so grams, the 35-100 (70-200) zoom is something like 350 grams, and my largest lens is a 75-300 (150-600) zoom that weighs a bit over 450 grams). The first four lenses are superb lenses with wide apertures. Only the latter lens is not topflight, yet the images are barely outperformed by the topflight Olympus/Panasonic long focal length fixed and zoom lenses. I really only carry the 75-300 rarely in the mountains, as realistically my focus is not wildlife. I would likely carry it to certain locations in the Canadian Rockies or perhaps Montana, where seeing large wildlife is much more common. I bought the long zoom for occasional winter birding trips locally. It is reasonable to get very good images with Olympus/Panny that one can blow up to 20x24 or even 24x30. The only place FF cameras outperform m4/3 noticeably is in very high dynamic range images or at ISO's above 3200 - which are seldom needed. For me, with my lenses, I don't have issues with astro/landscape with m4/3 for instance. I sometimes shoot very low light detail of mosses/flowers in shady forest on a cloudy day at ISO's up to 5000 handheld; otherwise, in such conditions (and I prefer this) I use a tripod at base ISO of 200. High ISO use is primarily handheld shooting post sunset (or use a tripod where there is no such issue), shots of moving subjects post sunset, or especially indoor use without flash.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Aug 11, 2016 8:40 am 
Iron, the info on large lenses and negligable advantage in body weight size in that article has been obvious for some time, esp. to those of us using Sony FF. He didn't even get into the Sony menu mess. When I moved up from an NEX-7 to A7rII it wasn't to save weight, but for maximum IQ (mainly sensor). I sucked it up weight wise. For me the advantage in dynamic range, ISO performance for stars, and high pixel count for large prints, was worth it. If I didn't print large I would stick with an A6300 (which I would love to have for trips where weight is more of a premium and to maximize telephoto for wildlife). For really light weight/size (technical climbing etc.) I have an RX-100, but I'd love to have the IV, or V that will likely be released in a while. If your main use is web and screen viewing (which is most of what I do too) there are lots of great cameras out there now and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to go for the FF Sony's for that.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostFri Aug 12, 2016 12:23 am 
I still find it amazing that today, the only true difference between most cameras is which can shoot stars noiselessly rolleyes.gif and which can 100% reliably shoot fast moving objects. The "bad" ones only get 95%... rolleyes.gif shakehead.gif Today, forum weenies whine about which eye is in focus on some dude running... and this is "bad". Film? You didn't even try outside of very good lighting and shooting at F8 or so. Especially when it comes to printing, as most papers can't accurately display the images captured. Likewise most monitors can't show the true colors either. Frankly it is becoming absurd when one considers the image quality of cell phones today compared to 20 years ago's "pro" gear outside of medium format film.

trestle

trestle
PostSat Aug 13, 2016 9:50 am 
The rebuttal linked in the linked article addresses the complaints in the article. Jim, do you mind if I ask why you're so dedicated to Sony?

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Aug 14, 2016 6:59 am 
trestle, I don't mind at all. The basic answer is that when I buy a new camera I read a lot of reviews, then try to balance $$, weight, and performance (mostly IQ for landscapes). The current leader in most of these respects is Sony mirrorless. Especially their APS-C line, starting with the NEX, has been kicking Canon & Nikon's butts in the light weight area. When I got my NEX-7 all the reviews put it about on a par with Canon's 5DII, at a fraction of the cost and weight - it was a no brainer. While other brands are also quite well reviewed (esp Olympus & Panasonic) they are usually playing catch-up to Sony, who is always pushing the tech envelope, esp. in sensor technology (they make many of the sensors in other brands as well). With my current camera, a Sony A7rII, I finally gave in to my life long desire to shoot large format high res. pro landscapes (a 4x5 in film days) and went with the closest I could get in a relatively light digital package. By far the most expensive camera and lens package I've ever bought, but it was my 60th b-day present to myself, and I justified it because I sell a few pictures, so I call myself a pro wink.gif . I also have a Sony RX100 original model which I got for a bargain $ when the III was released. It has been troublesome recently, but I managed to fix it following a link Pat posted. For a P&S it takes fantastic shots that I can print quite large and each generation has hands down been reviewed as the P&S class leader in IQ. I use it more than half the time, when weight and convenience are the priority. Now that I'm invested in Sony lenses I guess I'll be sticking with the brand in the future so that will be my slant on advice when contributing here. When I read other people's opinions I figure they too are speaking from experience with their gear. I certainly give greater weight to those who post pictures here that are proof of the pudding.

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostMon Aug 15, 2016 8:49 am 
^^^^^ what Jim said. I have the Sony A7ii and rx100m3. The A7ii was my first interchangeable lens camera. I am only 49 and have not sold many photos so I could not justify the almost double the price of the A7rII. frown.gif maybe next year at 50 wink.gif Got to get out there and sell some photos I guess! check out my work at http://www.patrick-sloan.com/ --pat

jcocci

jcocci
PostThu Aug 18, 2016 11:03 am 
Just posted my Olympus E-M10 over in the Trading post if anyone is interested. I also may be selling my Olympus E-M1 if anyone is interested send me a PM. Haven't decided for sure yet though.

trestle

trestle
PostTue Aug 23, 2016 8:02 am 
Thanks Jim and Pat for the logical and well-written replies. Clearly the Sony sensors are the best right now and it makes sense to stick with one brand once you've begun investing in their lenses. The IQ speaks for itself and the size/weight are fairly optimal. I'm also seeing the A7s more and more in the hands of working photographers, either as their primary camera or their backup. It seems to be a really great camera.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
nojack

nojack
PostTue Aug 23, 2016 2:05 pm 
And, using manual focus on an A7 body allows for a small package (for what you get). The Voightlander 20mm 3.5 is disgustingly sharp, a pancake, and 205 grams. With the ability to use focus highlighting from the sony bodies, it's a great thing. And it's fun.

BaNosser

BaNosser
PostThu Sep 01, 2016 4:22 pm 
I've been using a m4/3 Olympus EM5mkII for 16 months.. this version has a nice compact body with minimal handgrip.. which makes it much more packable.. it is also basically weatherproof (while lens is attached to body).. last fall I shot my kids playoff fb game in a down pour... 2 1/2 hrs and no issues at all.
because the sensor size is 1/2 that of FF its lenses are also much smaller and lighter.. another reason for my choice.. and Olympus' PRO lenses are fabulous, both weather proof on body and IQ wise.. As of now Olympus can not compete with FF regarding lowlight high iso shots... sensor tech is not such that the smaller sensor just can not capture as much light... but it doesn't mean its terrible.. and for my personal use it works just fine.. ymmv I just spent 3 days up on Stetattle ridge with this system.. I brought 3 lenses.. a 14-42mm F3.5 EZ compact zoom, a 12-40mm F2.8 PRO and a 40-150mm F2.8 PRO.. the 14-42 EZ coupled to the body will slip right inside my hip belt pocket.. easy quick access.. it also has an auto retracting lens cover for ease of use... not a bad little lens.
I also brought along a Mindshift thoracic camera holder cover.. strap around waist combined with a padded neck strap.. I used this on a day hike up the ridge and back.. it easily accommodated the body with 12-40 PRO attached.. quick access by bungee cover.. this was an experiment to see how it would work with my backpack.. comfort ease of use all passed with flying colors.. and that lens is money..
the 40-150 was carried in my pack and used at camp and when stopped for lunch on Pk 6728.. its not a lightweight.. but then its a fabulous lens and I was very glad I brought it even with the weight penalty.. which again is much less then a FF lens of eqiv zoom and IQ.
The Em5ii is also lacking in CAF w/ tracking... so birds in flight are tough (< 40% keeper rate).. but that's not what I bought it for.. I bought it for packability backpacking... and there it shines.. Very happy with my choice.. The price of the EM5ii I'm sure has come down quite a bit too... coupled with a gorilla pod you'd also be able take advantage of its HiRez mode for ~45mp captures

gb

gb
PostThu Sep 01, 2016 7:13 pm 
If you are new with the Olympus system, do you know about '0' second anti-shock? With the resolution of NWHikers your images look fine, but I found significant improvement with '0' sec AS enabled.

BaNosser

BaNosser
PostFri Sep 02, 2016 1:12 pm 
I will def look into that thanks