Forum Index > Partners > Experienced backpackers wanted for Sahale Arm area 9/3-9/5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
librelibre

librelibre
PostThu Sep 01, 2016 1:52 pm 
Plan: Leave from Bitter Lake in Seattle at 12:00 p.m. for the North Cascades Marblemount Ranger Station to get our backcountry permits. Day hike Hidden Lake Lookout on 9/3. Drive to and spend the night at Johannesburg campground. Backpack to Horseshoe Basin 9/4 with a camp setup at Pelton Basin campground. Hike to Sahale Arm on 9/5 and head back out and to Seattle by night time. Wanted: An experienced backpacker and navigationalist who could hike at least 2mph and do at least 18 mi/day with good amounts of elevation gain. Must be flexible enough to be willing to roll with the punches given that we can not reserve our permits ahead of time and must make last minute changes in camp spots if our first campground preferences are taken (thus the need for 18 mi./day if we need to chose a further away campground), but will most likely stick to a 12 mi. type of day if we get our preferred campground (highly likely as we will be going the day before to get our permit). Who we are: Two outdoorsy, fun, easy going females in our 30s. I'm pretty confident that I could navigate since I've never gotten lost backpacking before, however, am not experienced with using a compass and route finding (I just follow the map). Just wanted someone else fun to join our group and add a bit cushion for safety for the last 1/4 mi. section of Horseshoe Basin, which is stated as being an unclear path/route. Please contact me with your phone number if you are serious about joining us.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
slugsworth

slugsworth
PostTue Sep 06, 2016 2:41 pm 
Hopefully your trip was a success - if you ended up postponing it, I don't think you'll have a hard time finding the mine. Keep your eyes peeled on your approach and you'll see it. From there you'll be able to find a path uphill and head in the right direction to get to it. The return is a bit easier. I got up there without looking at a map or compass last year. Pro-tip, if you can swing it, you can get a permit 24hrs in advance if someone can make it to Marblemount. Good luck!

librelibre

librelibre
PostTue Sep 13, 2016 1:24 am 
Thanks for your advice. We were able to find the route just fine since we weren't soaked in.

nachesrider

nachesrider
PostSun Dec 18, 2016 10:20 am 
Hi Im a 30s F experienced backpacker looking for partners next summer, also love mountaineering and scrambles. Ive done approaches that are brutal with weight, forbidden peak! 12-14 hour hike days, Black peak in one day. Run through of the enchantments. If you would like keep me in mind for next summer, Thank You Cheryl