Forum Index > Partners > Backpackers wanted for Devils Dome/Jackita Ridge 9/15-9/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
librelibre

librelibre
PostTue Sep 13, 2016 1:46 am 
PLAN Day 1: Drive to Canyon Creek Trailhead, ascend Jackita Ridge Trail to intersection with the trail to Crater Lake and Mountain. We’ll drop our packs here, for an optional out and back sidetrip to Crater Lake and Crater Mountain Lookout No. 2. After the sidetrip, we'll continue on Jackita Ridge Trail to abandoned Devils Park shelter. 5.7 miles, 4,300’ ascent and 400’ descent. Optional sidetrip to the Lookout adds 4.9 miles and 1,800’ ascent. Some may chose to sidetrip only to Crater Lake and not continue to the Crater Mountain Lookout; this adds about 1.5 miles and 500’ of ascent. Day 2: Follow Jackita Ridge trail to Devils Ridge Trail, taking a short sidetrip up Jackita Ridge, then follow Devils Ridge Trail west to Skyline Camp. 10.8 miles, 3,750’ ascent, 3,250’ descent. Day 3: Follow Devils Ridge Trail over Devils Dome, descend to Ross Lake, follow East Bank trail south to May Creek Camp. 12 miles, 1,200’ ascent, 5,600’ descent. Day 4: Follow East Bank Trail to Ruby Creek Trail back to our cars. 11 miles, 1,500’ ascent and 1,500’ descent. Total: Approximately 40 miles, 10,750’ ascent and descent. With optional sidetrip: approximately 45 miles, 12,550’ ascent and descent. Guide Books: Backpacking Washington, 100 Classic Hikes in Washington, and Day Hiking North Cascades (all Mountaineers Press). Online descriptions: http://www.backpacker.com/trips/washington/north-cascades-national-park/devils-dome-loop/ ; http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/devils-dome I expect low overnight temperatures will be in the 30s. You should check the current weather report shortly before departure: http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Crater-Mountain/forecasts/2477. Conditioning: This trip requires excellent conditioning. We will average about 1.5 mph on the trail, including breaks. You should be able to climb Mt. Si with a full backpack in 3 hours or less, and be able to repeat the climb on the next day. Other gear notes: 1. Bear canisters are not required. We will hang our food each night. I plan to bring my Ursack. 2. You should bring some method of water purification. 3. Bugs are certainly possible; bring bug repellent. WANTED An experienced backpacker who has completed at least a 3-day backpacking trip in recent years and a strong hiker who can carry their pack with considerable elevation gain. We will most likely take the side trip on the first day. As such, it will be a longggggg first day. Must be self-reliant and know yourself well enough to know that you could complete this trip. WHO WE ARE Two members (one male, one female) from the Mountaineers Club who had originally signed up for this trip, however, it was cancelled due to bad weather conditions. This week looked a bit better, so we just wanted to get out there and share the experience with others while the weather holds. Please contact me with your phone number if you are serious about joining us.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostTue Sep 13, 2016 8:50 am 
I hiked most of this trail over Labor Day weekend (took the taxi up the lake, so skipped that portion). The only notable blow downs were between 4000' and Dry Creek Pass as we were ascending from the lake. Camping on Devils Dome lives up to the hype, enjoy!

cartman

cartman
PostTue Sep 13, 2016 9:39 am 
See this trip report for info, especially on water sources which are sparse on the east-west section. Skeeters will be gone, and flies will probably be minimal with the cool weather. Typically bugs aren't much of a problem after Labor Day esp. if there's been a cold snap. If I didn't already have plans, I'd love to go back. It's a cool area, have fun!