Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stuck overnight in a cable car on Mt. Blanc
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostThu Sep 08, 2016 8:17 pm 
Dozens of tourists spend night trapped in Mont Blanc cable cars high above the French Alps
Quote:
A helicopter rescue operation was suspended as night fell, leaving around 45 people suspended at an altitude of 12,468 feet.
eek.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Sep 08, 2016 8:39 pm 
Well, at least they'll be treated to a fantastic sunrise!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
AR

AR
PostThu Sep 08, 2016 11:24 pm 
That would be terrible...jumping over to a helicopter? Holy crap...I'm asking for my money back on that one.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 09, 2016 2:56 am 
errrr..... maybe this is a stupid question, but why is the tram system designed in such a fashion that the cables can become entangled in high wind conditions? did they hire engineers from Renault or Peugeot? when the tram got to the top of the hill at Jackson Hole, the wind was blowing so hard they couldn't get the thing lined up to enter the chute at the top - we were tipped over about 30 degrees. they had to put it in reverse and we got dropped off at the tower down below. but the cables never got tangled up. I've always thought Mireille Mathieu did a hell of a number on this one... marchons! marchons!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 09, 2016 5:39 am 
Ski wrote:
errrr..... maybe this is a stupid question, but why is the tram system designed in such a fashion that the cables can become entangled in high wind conditions?
I would take this bit of information from the media with a large grain of salt -- When I've had direct experience with something that is reported in the media there has always been significant distortion, sometimes completely scrambled information in the media report -- and in this case we have the added distortion of language translation from French to English.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 09, 2016 11:19 am 
^ good possibility. seems unlikely that they'd design a tram system up in the mountains without factoring in a little wind now and then. dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 09, 2016 11:37 am 
Also note that the cable way in question is almost entirely within Italy -- so the design may have favored looking good over function. It's also has a long long span between towers -- miles -- what high mountain winds could do seems pretty wide ranging.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 09, 2016 12:38 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
"...so the design may have favored looking good over function."
errr... if it was penciled out in the land of Fiat and Marelli ignition systems I would say that's a good possibility. lol.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 14, 2016 8:10 am 
I've seen lines get tangled up on skyline logging operations where wind was not a factor and seeing that the cars are using two lines--on a rider block, I can see how the lines would tangle up. You've got long spans of line and a weighted car on them. Things can get to whipping around and then there can be a tangle. It can take a bit of time, and some bad words, to work the lines apart, and I wouldn't want to be doing that with people suspended from them. It happens.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Sep 14, 2016 8:33 am 
Having been in on the installation of a couple ski lifts, I know that all lifts come with some 'operating rules' where-in the manufacturer/designer specifies the operating limitations (e.g. weights, speeds, side winds, etc) that shouldn't be exceeded. I'd bet that either someone wasn't paying attention, or there was sudden weather change. OTOH, it is hard to imagine those wire ropes/track cables having enough slack to move very much....