Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Embedding 360 photos
Previous :: Next Topic  
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Sep 20, 2016 3:40 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I've been taking 360 panoramas for a long time now.  Finally image hosters are getting their acts together about sharing them.  Is there a good way yet to embed them into NWHikers?  I've seen one or two reports where someone has added them to Google Maps and embedded that.  I haven't had much luck getting Google to accept the photos though.  Now Flickr can display them, and allows sharing, but I can't seem to get more than the thumbnail to show up here.

From flickr I'm given the option to embed and it provides this code:
PANO_20160910_173633

Or can download the BBcode:

PANO_20160910_173633 by David Baxter, on Flickr

As you can see they both just show a thumbnail that goes nowhere, compared to what it should look like:
Link to 360 photo

Any idea what I'm missing?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 20, 2016 8:24 pm 
For security reasons we can't allow users to embed scripts, but I've enabled it for that particular flickr embed sequence.  I also changed the size to be 800 wide.  The original embed was much larger.  FWIW, the flickr script seems buggy.  On my screen it doesn't rotate automatically like it does on flickr.  And the arrow buttons don't work properly either.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Sep 20, 2016 10:11 pm 
So if I embed other images with that same script would it work, or is it only for this particular photo?
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 20, 2016 10:39 pm 
It should work for any flickr image, even non-panoramas (until they change their embed code).  I tweaked things to limit the maximum embed width to 100% (not sure why flickr doesn't do this automatically in their embed code) and increased the embed width above now that it doesn't blow out the screen.  Unfortunately flickr is dumb and uses a low resolution image.  Silly flickr.  They should be using an image 2-3x larger.

For grins I decided to compare google's viewer with flickr.  I prefer google's viewer as you can embed higher resolution images and it has a fullscreen option.  That said I'm not sure google's viewer works on IOS (due to viewer and image hosted on different domains).

Google (iframe):

Flickr:
PANO_20160910_173633
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 7:29 am 
Thanks!  I also prefer Google's but I can't seem to reliably upload photos.  Hopefully flickr gets their act together, but at least there are ways to share these now.  I've been taking them for years but until recently the best way to view them was through Google+ and even that wasn't great.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 21, 2016 12:27 pm 
To clarify, Google's VR View for the Web is not part of google photos.  It is a stand alone viewer.  All I did was put your flickr image in an iframe with the google viewer:

<iframe width=800 height=400 allowfullscreen frameborder="0" src="//storage.googleapis.com/vrview/index.html?image=//c1.staticflickr.com/9/8537/29738804821_70e7e6a34b_k.jpg"></iframe>

Or you can just link to it:
https://storage.googleapis.com/vrview/index.html?image=//c1.staticflickr.com/9/8537/29738804821_70e7e6a34b_k.jpg

But I'm not sure it orients properly on IOS Safari due to googleapis.com being a different domain than staticflickr.com.  I don't have an iphone to test.

Quote:
360 images have incorrect orientation in iOS Safari if the code and images are hosted on different servers
awilsondc
Scramblin' Fool

awilsondc
Scramblin' Fool
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 6:56 am 
I love photospheres, but also wish there was a better way to share them.  I'm sure changes are coming, but right now this is how I do mine.

I upload them to Google Maps via the Google Street View app on my phone.  From there I use this link to locate the photosphere I just uploaded.  Once you've found your photosphere on the map, move the view around until you find the main view you want it to start with, then copy the code on the right and paste the code where ever you are posting it.

I hate having to upload everything to Google Maps, but it seems to be the best way to do it right now.  The other advantage of this viewer is that users can zoom in and out using the mouse wheel.  I'm sure it's just a matter of time before there is a better option so if someone finds one post it here!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 1:37 pm 
I personally don't like wheel scroll to zoom for embedded content as when I am scrolling the page and hit the content the page stops scrolling and the embedded content zooms.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Embedding 360 photos
  Happy Birthday jjmoss99, meowich, meandering Wa, AlpineDill!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: