Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit and Lake Register
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 pm 
Homes of the Olympic Mountain Traveling Summit and Lake Register: Oly the 1st: Buckhorn - Goats Gone Wild and HJT, retrieved by MtnWkr Oly Peak - MtnWkr, retrieved by Adrewzki Moose Peak - moosefish, retrieved by Ancient Ambler & Mtn John Grand View Peak - Ancient Ambler & Mtn John, retrieved by bobbi Mt. Jupiter - bobbi, retrieved by seattlehikertoo Mt. Rose - seattlehikertoo, retrieved by NWtrax Mt. Ellinor - NWtrax, retrieved by Shoo fly Colonel Bob - Shoo Fly (until it went missing in action) Oly the 2nd: Mt. Townsend - HJT, retrieved by HJT Welch Peak - HJT, retrieved by Jennifer S. and bobbi Maiden Peak - bobbi, Jennifer S, Jen's kids, Debbie, Cindy, retrieved by reststep Elk Mountain - reststep, retrieved by Captain Jack and Silly Traveller Blue Mountain- C.J./S.T., retrieved by Timmie and crabio Mount Zion - Crabio and Timmie, retrieved by ScottM Mt. Angeles - ScottM, retrieved by HJT Obstruction Peak - HJT, retrieved by bobbi, cindy songbird, & susie Ridge To Mt. Baldy - bobbi, Lisa & Neil, Debbie, retrieved by greendog Mt. Walker - bobbi, HJT, Lisa & Neil, retrieved by ADrewzki. Lower Lena Lake - ADrewzki, retrieved by Mossy Mom Ralph's New Place up on the Hill - Mossy Mom, retrieved by Olympic Hiker North Summit, Mt. Townsend - Olympic Hiker - retrieved by HiT Mt. Ellinor - HiT Oly the 3rd: Mt. Walker, North Summit - Hesman, retrieved by Ranger Rock Lower Lena Lake - Ranger Rock, retrieved by meck Mt. Muller - meck, retrieved by bobbi Lake Angeles - bobbi - retrieved by reststep Tyler Peak - reststep - retrieved by seekapeak Cub Peak - seekapeak - retrieved by meck Mt. Rose - meck - retrieved by Old Mountain Man Mt. Ellinor - old mountain man Missing in Action once again Oly the 4th: Valhalla Peak - reststep - retrieved by bobbi, blaze, bonita Eagle Point - bobbi & bonita - retrieved by Hesman Obstruction Point - Hesman - retrieved by meck (former) Lake Mills - meck - retrieved by bobbi Striped Peak - bobbi & Blaze - retrieved by reststep Green Mountain (Olympic National Park between Deer Park and Maiden Peak) - reststep - retrieved by reststep Silver Lakes Peak Buckhorn Wilderness (Peak 6030 above Silver Lake) - reststep: retrieved by bobbi, Michelle, and Cindy Bogachiel Peak-bobbi and Cindy E, retrieved it since no one else wanted to get it! Glines Canyon-bobbi * retrieved the register and placed it somewhere else. let me know if interested or just end it! Please link to OMTSR TR's to this thread if they are not posted within the Olympic Mountains Traveling Summit Register thread.

Wiki summmary last edited by bobbi on Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:53 am (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
reststep

reststep
PostMon Aug 08, 2016 1:51 pm 
up.gif Good to see it on the move. Interesting, I was out at Obstruction Point the same day wandering around on Lillian Ridge but missed you. It is a good thing I went out that day because they closed the road for a few days after that because of the fire. I could smell smoke on the drive out.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostTue Aug 09, 2016 11:04 am 
Wow 6:00 you must have gotten up early but that is a nice time of day to be out there. I can't remember for sure what time I got out there but I think it was around 9 so maybe you were already on Obstruction Point. Where did you park to go to Eagle Point?

reststep

reststep
PostTue Sep 13, 2016 9:21 pm 
Where's bobbi?

reststep

reststep
PostFri Sep 23, 2016 9:00 am 
Sometimes in the fall they will close the Obstruction Point Road at Waterhole. If no one gets out there before that maybe I will walk the road. Is the register hidden?

meck

meck
PostFri Sep 23, 2016 3:48 pm 
I might be able to pick it up this weekend if you would like Hesman and reststep

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
reststep

reststep
PostFri Sep 23, 2016 5:09 pm 
Sounds good to me meck.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Sep 23, 2016 6:14 pm 
reststep wrote:
Where's bobbi?
i'm here ... i placed Oly on Eagle Point. Hess placed it on Obstruction Peak. someone else has to get it! tongue.gif meck ... DO IT up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
meck

meck
PostSat Sep 24, 2016 9:13 pm 
Hesman placed it in a fantastic little nook on Obstruction Point. Picked it up today after hiking to Elk Mountain w/ my father. [EDIT: I intend to post some photos... but google photo albums don't seem to be behaving for me now...] I'm not sure yet where it will end up next.... I'm open to suggestions.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Sep 24, 2016 10:14 pm 
remember to keep it's hiding place a sekrit ... share information with whomever is going to retrieve it. tongue.gif thanks for getting Oly4 out of Obstruction Peak!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
reststep

reststep
PostSun Sep 25, 2016 11:49 am 
up.gif
meck wrote:
I'm not sure yet where it will end up next.... I'm open to suggestions.
This is kind of off the wall but for some reason Little Lena came to mind.

meck

meck
PostThu Sep 29, 2016 6:45 pm 
Thanks for the suggestion reststep! I was actually just past the lake on Sunday (climbed the Brothers) and was thinking about that knob. Unfortunately due to work obligations I'm not likely to be able to get the register placed in a new spot until mid to late October, but I like that location since it should be accessible in most weather conditions. @ Hesman: agreed, the summit of Ellinor should be skipped! (unless of course someone squirrels it away on the highpoint just NE across that small upper basin).

meck

meck
PostSat Jan 07, 2017 9:15 pm 
Ok, well after going on numerous trips with me, I finally placed Oly#4 at..... the old Lake Mills/Elwha (east side overlook, along the way to Whiskey Bend, hidden down in the lake bed area). Given the recent, and expected weather, I figured this should be an OK location as anyone can get to Lake Mills, and it is a pleasant stroll in the snow from the park entrance. I got a late start, arriving at the gated park entrance at 1230 (warning: the parking area was a sheet of ice). The road in to the Ranger Station was either bare, covered in a thin layer of ice, or hard pack snow (maybe 1/2"); traction would be handy but not yet required. The weather was great today. The views from the overlook of the old lake bed were very nice with the sun glinting off the winding Elwha river.
I dropped down to the lake bed via the trail, then meandered down near the Glines Canyon entrance (that bright rusty looking area just along the river bank) for lunch. I then headed south along the river bank until I could no longer continue (where there is nothing but near vertical rock face meeting the river's edge). I was back to the TH as the final light was fading for the day. As a side note, I've taken Oly #4 to the following locations since collecting him in Sept: Mt Townsend
around Wynoochee Lake
Buck Mountain (Elbo Creek)
Dosewallips Ranger Station
Madrone Vista on Chuckanut Mtn (near Bellingham) [no pics] South Mountain
Green Mtn (Kitsap County)
and around the Shady Lane-Rapids Loop trail down near Staircase
Just send me a PM when you want to retrieve it and I will send the pics of its location.

reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 pm 
up.gif up.gif

reststep

reststep
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 10:03 am 
What is that orange stuff?

meck

meck
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 10:17 am 
I have no idea what the orange stuff was. I check a bit of it and it almost felt/looked like fine particle rust in water (as opposed to some sort of algae) but I was not sure. It was visible in a couple locations along the river's edge. The most obvious location was near the dam site, but I spotted at least two other locations on the west side of the river bank further upstream (south). There were a couple of other locations upstream where old tree trunks were stained orange but there was nothing on the ground nearby indicating a source.