Forum Index > Trip Reports > Koppen Peak 9/24/16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pilotamis

Pilotamis
PostSat Sep 24, 2016 4:12 pm 
Arrived at the TH at 8am. A group on horseback was getting ready to leave so I had to hurry to stay in front. 7 minutes later I was moving down the trail. The first section of trail, 1392 to 1392.1 was fairly flat and fast. It follows De Roux Creek, crossing over on 2 bridges. After about 20 minutes, I reached the intersection to continue on 1392.1. This section of trail leaves the valley floor, ascending on a series of switchbacks which open to nice views facing NE over what I think was the Esmeralda Peaks and Mount Stuart. The climbing was sustained, gaining an estimated 840 feet in 1.6 miles to the ridge. The ridge was trampled down with signs that people camp or rest there. I was looking for a sign to go left to the summit and almost walked right by the trail. I checked my map again and found the trail heading left up the ridge to the summit of Koppen. The trail from here is not maintained, having multiple blowdowns. It continues to climb, getting steep in sections till it finally is above the trees. From here the trail is a mixture of scree and rock to the summit. The trail has some exposure but is minimal. The summit was gorgeous, with views of all sorts of peaks I hope to climb someday. Unfortunately, I didn't get a summit picture with me in it since I was trying to get the perfect panorama. There also wasn't a register, but the summit did have some amazing views and plenty of bees. This was a great hike for me, my first real backcountry trip in way to long. Even though its pretty short in length, it still felt great to get out and start the Back Court 100. Overall, it took just a little under 2hrs to the summit and 3:45 roundtrip, including a few stops to enjoy my first views of Rainer. There was a snow covered peak that I could see that was to the South (left) of what I assume is Rainer. Any clue what it was? Someone mentioned it might be Adams. The berries I found on trail that I have a picture of, are they blueberries? I found a ton of scat on the trail when it crosses through them. Some looked really fresh, like whatever dropped it just left. I'll try to add some pictures if I can figure out how to do it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Sep 25, 2016 7:09 am 
++ way to get after it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 27, 2016 6:36 pm 
Pilotamis wrote:
There was a snow covered peak that I could see that was to the South (left) of what I assume is Rainer. Any clue what it was? Someone mentioned it might be Adams.
Hey, I was over on Earl Peak the same day. I definitely saw Adams on the skyline, I think that's probably what you saw too.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Sep 27, 2016 6:44 pm 
i think i briefly chatted with you on my way out from my hawkins hike, glad you had a successful trip

Eric Eames
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Sep 27, 2016 7:04 pm 
Pilotamis wrote:
I'll try to add some pictures if I can figure out how to do it.
Have you seen this thread in Support, Pilotamis? ~z

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Sep 28, 2016 7:58 am 
Pilotamis wrote:
The berries I found on trail that I have a picture of, are they blueberries? I found a ton of scat on the trail when it crosses through them. Some looked really fresh, like whatever dropped it just left.
Very likely blueberries/huckleberries. It is mostly safe to taste berries in the Cascades. If it is blue or black and grows on a bush, it is either blueberry/huckleberry, elderberry, or currant, and all those are edible although some currants are unpalatable. I think baneberry is our only truly nasty one and it is rarely seen up high and does not produce woody stems. It would be a shame to hike through berry fields this time of year and not come out with purple fingers and lips! If the scat you saw was in piles and not pellets, and there were berries and leaves in it, it was black bear scat. Depending upon how you feel about such things, you might want to be careful about mentioning fresh bear scat because it is bear hunting season. frown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir