Forum Index > Trip Reports > Teanaway rambling 9/24-9/25
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 28, 2016 10:49 am 
Had only been there briefly in the spring this year, decided it was time to return. Finished off part of a traverse I'd done earlier that made a nice lollipop loop on Saturday, then just a straight out and back hike on Sunday. Saturday's loop was Stafford Creek trail to Navaho Pass, run the ridge to Earl Peak, down the climbers path to Bean Creek trail, then follow that to Standup Creek and back to the junction with Stafford Creek. I'd done half of the ridge traverse before. The part I didn't do previously was kinda tedious. Some gendarmes, some scrambling and a bit of up and down and back and forth along the ridge before it got easier again. The rest was fairly easy. Looking at the ridge traverse from just beyond the pass.
Traversing on easy ground.
Looking back where I came from. I skirted below the bump on the ridge on the right. McClellan Peak in the background.
serpentine!
Rainier
Looking ahead to Earl. Some larch just starting to turn.
Looking back at some of the scrambly bits
Nice little basin just NE of Earl
some golden larch on Earl's shoulder
had excellent views of Stuart and Sherpa most of the way along the ridge and up to Earl
looking down towards Bean Creek Basin with many of the Teanaway peaks, Ingalls Peaks on far right and bigger peaks near the PCT in the far distance
ridge from Earl to Bean, with Ingalls behind
Lemahs and Chimney I think
Earl summit view of Stuart and Sherpa
Bears Breast I believe
looking back at much of the ridge traverse, with Stuart Range from Colchuck to McClellan
McClellan
Rainier
Adams
Bean Creek Basin and numerous peaks
Bean, Ingalls and Stuart/Sherpa
Bean, Stuart, Sherpa
Bean Creek Basin
several nice snags descending Earl and traversing back towards Stafford Creek
riparian zone along a creek
dropping back down towards Stafford Creek
McClellan towering over Navaho Pass
almost done, some nice colors along the way

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 28, 2016 10:49 am 
Grabbed a spot at DeRoux CG Saturday night. Sunday was on to the ultra popular but still completely worthwhile Ingalls Pass/Lake trail. One of my favorites, but I didn't get around to it last year. Part of the Esmerald Peaks complex from a little way up the trail.
Rainier
Arrived at the Pass with clouds streaming past Stuart obscuring much of it. Some larch starting to turn, not peak yet.
Headlamp Basin was lovely as always. I took the high route on the way to the lake, low route on the way back. I ended up taking forever on the return, I was just fascinated by the shapes, textures and colors of the rocks all through there. Also did a lap around the lake. Surprisingly didn't see a single goat. Neither had several people I talked to that camped there Sat. night. Clouds continued to stream from the west but burned off eventually. polished slabs and larch
Some interesting rocks circling around the lake.
After the trip around the lake I sat down for lunch and watched more clouds stream by as Stuart tried to poke out.
On the way back I spotted a big marmot lounging on a slab.
Anybody know what this plant is? There was a bunch of it nicely coloring slopes and meadows.
the berry bushes adding some color as well
clouds just about gone now revealing Stuart in all its glory
on to the wonderful slabs in the lower camp area
found a few nice potholes among the rock
not sure what this peak is, looking over Stuart Pass
World's smallest larch tree? Only a couple inches tall.
clump of glowing larch just below Ingalls Pass
another cool snag
I spotted this a little below the junction with Longs Pass trail. Just off trail, but I had to go check it out.
I got distracted the last several hundred yards. I've always thought that creek beside the trail was pretty, but this time I had to go check it out and follow its course.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message