Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Mountaineers and Lookout Peak Pins
Previous :: Next Topic  
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostWed Aug 17, 2016 1:30 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I put this page together to gather my thoughts and notes about the Mountaineers list of lookouts.  I'm quite perplexed about the first Everett list in 1947 showing two sites that have never been listed on any source I've ever come across.  Mount Ruth and Lichtenberg Mountain.   I find it very hard to believe this was a mistake by the Mountaineers committee members who determined the peaks.  They had to pick 15 locations out of hundreds available....so how could they end up with 2 sites that never had a lookout?  Seems to me these two sites should be added to the possible list of former lookout sites.

Page on Lookout Peak Pins

--------------
Taking a break from peakbagging to do some lookout bagging.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Aug 21, 2016 3:30 pm 
Eric,

Without specifically attempting, have you completed any of the lists?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostSun Aug 21, 2016 5:14 pm 
So I just looked (funny I didn't even think to look when making the webpage) and I have fulfilled the 12 needed for all three.

Everett Pin 17 out of 20
Olympia Pin 16 out of 20
Olympia Rocker Pin 13 out of 20

--------------
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Aug 22, 2016 12:37 pm 
I just checked the list and I have climbed all of them. Liberty is getting harder now that access has changed. http://peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=5037
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostMon Aug 22, 2016 1:09 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
I have climbed all of them

Mike...we were talking about the "Everett Lookout List", your link goes to the much, much harder mountain climbing list:)

This easier one...

--------------
cartman

cartman
PostSat Oct 01, 2016 12:23 pm 
Eric Willhite wrote:
Mount Ruth and Lichtenberg Mountain.  I find it very hard to believe this was a mistake by the Mountaineers committee

Do you mean the Ruth near Rainier, or the one E of Shuksan?  I've been to the summit of the latter twice, and do not recall any evidence of a lookout ever having been there.  A lookout on Ruth would have been unique since it would have been the only one to have a mandatory glacier approach to it.

I could see a mistake being made, if someone suggested one of these peaks erroneously and the others took their word at face value.
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostSat Oct 01, 2016 1:19 pm 
Thanks for your incite. 

cartman wrote:
Do you mean the Ruth near Rainier, or the one E of Shuksan? 

The Ruth near Shuksan.  I would imagine the "lookout" was a camp.  Also, that the camp was likely on the knob north of the peak (point 5830), which might explain the trail there shown on maps.   I could give numerous examples of camps that have no evidence left at all.  Yes, it was unlikely on the summit due to the snow approach.  Although getting materials up Mt. Adams and St. Helens were accomplished with a unique pulley/sled counter-weight systems.

If we today (the peakbagging community) got together to put together a "Washington Top 20 Sampler Prominence Peaks List", do you think we would make a mistake and include 2 peaks that didn't have the required prominence?  With all the choices, would we screw-up on 2 of the 20?  Even if Klenke says they have prominence, would we trust him alone?  Not likely.

I have read every mountaineers annual journal from 1907 to 1962.  They knew the mountains well and making the list based on their protocols would have been well thought out first.  I would be shocked if it was a "mistake", but of course, I can't prove either way yet.  I'm no fan of the Mountaineers, so defending them is uncharacteristic of me:)

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Mountaineers and Lookout Peak Pins
  Happy Birthday C Dog, carlb328, mehitabel!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: