Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Olympic trail shelters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RPBrown

RPBrown
PostSat Sep 10, 2016 5:19 pm 
Hey Rod, The other building was his wood shed. The trail to Whiskers cabin peels off the main trail just past the shelter. Nowadays you have to look really close to see it. Whiskers wasn't trying to hide from anyone and was a really friendly guy. He built the cabin mainly for trapping marten and chasing cougar. He also built it (according to my aunt) to stay away from booze, which he had a hard time doing when he spent time in Quil. I'll post a few more that I think I already posted a year or two back. These are all from my aunt's personal photo albums. This particular group of photos is when Whiskers led the Army pack train from Fort Lewis to the B-18 (Douglas, "Bolo), that crashed near Bull Elk Pass, Sept 9, 1941. 10 pack mules were used to haul the bodies out. My aunt went back up there with Whiskers Sept 28, 1941, the day after the Army left. This is my aunt and is labeled "The way to Whiskers". Taken 1941
Jack "Whiskers" Conrad
My aunt with Whisker's cougar hound Chink, at his cabin

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Sep 20, 2016 7:13 pm 
Nice Family photos.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 02, 2016 11:24 pm 
Smith Place - Queets Valley George Albert Shaube constructed a small cabin on the Queets River in 1923 where he lived with his wife Alta (nee Northup) until 1929, when he sold his claim to Oscar Smith of Tacoma. He moved down to the Killea Guard Station so his son Lorne could attend school. Michael Lujan graciously provided the photos of his Grandfather, George, and the cabin under construction in 1923.
George Albert Shaube - 1891-1967 - Port Angeles, Washington 1956
George Albert Shaube - 1891-1967 - Port Angeles, Washington 1956
George Shaube homestead cabin Queets Valley 1923
George Shaube homestead cabin Queets Valley - Alta (Northup) Shaube at left with son Lorne - 1923
George Shaube homestead cabin Queets Valley - Alta (Northup) Shaube at left with son Lorne - 1923
(photos courtesy M. Lujan - used with permission) (photo of George Shaube in Port Angeles may be from 1953. awaiting confirmation on date. 10/03/16 BK) (first photo of cabin under construction shows L to R: Fred Grindle, Ross Cooper, and George Shaube) == Mr. Larry Vaughan of Des Moines, Washington, graciously provided the photos of his Grandmother, Marion V. Wood (nee Granstrom.) She married Harold Wood on June 19, 1929, in Tacoma, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Smith. They lived east of Montesano, near Brady, for the next thirty years and then retired to Olympia for ten years. After her marriage to Harold Wood, they spent the summer at Oscar Smith's cabin (Smith Place) on the Queets River.
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view of southwest corner of Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view of southwest corner of Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view looking east - L to R woodshed, bunkhouse, original Shaube structure, Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view looking east - L to R woodshed, bunkhouse, original Shaube structure, Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view north of barn - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view north of barn - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view of southeast corner interior of Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view of southeast corner interior of Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view of northeast corner interior of Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view of northeast corner interior of Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - two women holding fish in front of porch - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - two women holding fish in front of porch - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view west from vicinity of Smith Place - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - view west from vicinity of Smith Place - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - Marion V. Wood on horse - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - Marion V. Wood on horse - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - Marion V. Wood in front of fireplace on north wall of Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - Marion V. Wood in front of fireplace on north wall of Smith addition - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - Harold Wood at left - barn in background - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Smith Place - Queets Valley - ca. 1929 - Harold Wood at left - barn in background - photo courtesy L. Vaughan
Wood-Granstrom wedding 06/19/29
Wood-Granstrom wedding 06/19/29
(photos courtesy Marion V. Wood, Larry Vaughan - used with permission) (* see also HERE ) (* notes on photos above: This set of photographs was original sent to me by Mrs. Marion V. Wood of Des Moines, Washington about 2003 or 2004. I was unfortunately unable to follow up with an in-person interview. There appears to have been some confusion about a couple of the photos: the photograph of the man with the three women holding the fish is most certainly Harold Wood, and not Oscar Smith (as is noted in Jacilee Wray's "River by the Sea" historical narrative (pp 237). Smith was born in 1884, and would have been 45 years of age when the photo was taken. From the appearance of the lower eyelids, it appears the woman at left in that photo is Marion V. Wood. The woman in the middle might have possibly been a relative of Shannon Martinson, but I am unable to confirm that at this time. 10/03/16 BK)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Oct 03, 2016 8:24 am 
Wow, those are some great photos! Thanks for posting these Ski.

The only easy day was yesterday...
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Oct 03, 2016 1:46 pm 
Thanks for posting those cool old photos in a forum like this. It's where they are most likely to be appreciated by people who know the area well. And good work on the captions and related metadata -- that makes them even more relevant.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 03, 2016 7:42 pm 
^ Thanks puzzlr and graywolf. I would encourage anyone interested in the area to grab a copy of Jacilee Wray's "River by the Sea - an Ethnohistory of the Queets River Valley" (NPS Oct. 19, 2014 92MB *.pdf format) quickly while it is available for download HERE. (* error message on first screen. click "continue to this website" and find the download button. *) While Jacilee's book is the definitive, most complete, comprehensive, and accurate historical narrative of the area, I am yet finding little boo-boos here and there as I am re-reading the document right now. I have a good deal of material here which supplements her work, which unfortunately is inside no fewer than five dead computers that are sitting next to me. I am still kicking myself for never getting up to meet with Mrs. Wood before she passed away - I'm sure she would have been able to answer some questions. I'll make an effort to get the data extracted from these machines here and get it posted in the "Queets history" thread I posted some time back.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 2:29 pm 
Ski, I really appreciate the work that you have done (and continue to do) documenting the history of this valley. Thank you!

The only easy day was yesterday...
jask

jask
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 1:58 am 
Ski asked me to add the two Three Lakes shelter photos and any other structure pictures I might have to this thread. I probably have more but we sometimes took slides and not photos from those trips in the 80's.
Three Lakes shelter 1985
Three Lakes shelter 1985
Approaching shelter 1985
Approaching shelter 1985
Bear camp shelter 1980
Bear camp shelter 1980
Bogachiel ranger station 1981
Bogachiel ranger station 1981

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 2:31 am 
thank you jask! up.gif ( or should that be tusen takk ? ) wink.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 6:45 pm 
The best breakfast in my life was above Three Lakes Shelter, at a dry camp on the Tshletshy Creek - Quinault divide, with my now Spouse. Instant oatmeal, cocoa, hot Tang. Garnish the oatmeal with low-bush huckleberries picked without getting up. Yum. Probably within weeks of when photo was taken. Then down into Tshletshy with fish rods. (Always take a flashlight, even on day walks. Oops.)

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 12:38 am 
Smith Place - Queets Valley - Olympic National Park 080917
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 01 view looking east at front of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 01 view looking east at front of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 02 view looking east at northwest corner of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 02 view looking east at northwest corner of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 03 view looking west at northeast corner of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 03 view looking west at northeast corner of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 05 view looking west at northeast corner of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 05 view looking west at northeast corner of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 05 view looking north at southwest corner of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
Smith Place - Queets Valley 080917 05 view looking north at southwest corner of structure Queets Valley - Olympic National Park
* earlier photos of the Smith Place structure elsewhere in this thead here: Shaube Lujan photos 1923 and Wood Vaughn photos 1929 Martinson photos early 1930s Gary Patton 2006 GoBlueHiker 2008

OlympicExplorer

OlympicExplorer
PostWed Nov 29, 2017 7:48 pm 
I wanted to know if anyone has information on a shelter or cabin located around the Tyler Peak area. I remember hunting with my father back in the early 90's on one of the alpine ridges located near Tyler Peak and came upon the remains of a wooden structure. The structure was heavily rotted and only a few base logs still remained identifiable. I never did take any pictures or take note the exact route to get to it. With all the talk about shelters and man-made structures in the Olympics, this reminded me of what I saw and sparked my curiosity once again. Anyone know of such a structure in that area?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 pm 
excellent, Hesman. up.gif thank you!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 19, 2018 10:53 am 
Not a "trail shelter", but the last remaining structure in the Queets Valley (other than the Ranger Station and the vault toilets at Salmon River and in the campground.)
George Anderson homestead barn Queets Valley Olympic National Park Oct 2018 01
George Anderson homestead barn Queets Valley Olympic National Park Oct 2018 01
George Anderson homestead barn Queets Valley Olympic National Park Oct 2018 02
George Anderson homestead barn Queets Valley Olympic National Park Oct 2018 02
George Anderson homestead barn Queets Valley Olympic National Park Oct 2018 03
George Anderson homestead barn Queets Valley Olympic National Park Oct 2018 03
* earlier photo from 2014 posted HERE (* The pile of wood in the foreground is the remains of the house, which was right next to the barn. The house was still standing in 1998. BK ) (* corrected 10/19/18 21:52 PDT - the house structure was still standing in 1998 )

jask

jask
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 12:16 pm 
In the 90's we followed remnants of the old Finley Peak trail for a ways and I think I remember finding debris from some old structure up there.