Forum Index > The Trading Post > FS: Black & Decker 500 Amp Jump Starter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ejain

ejain
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 10:45 pm 
Have been keeping one of these in my trunk, in case my car battery dies at a remote trailhead in winter... Got a more compact lithium battery recently. Size: 11.50" x 3.75" x 14.50" Condition: Like New Price: $30 (new $60-$80) Manual

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 6:49 am 
ejain wrote:
Have been keeping one of these in my trunk, in case my car battery dies at a remote trailhead in winter... Got a more compact lithium battery recently. Size: 11.50" x 3.75" x 14.50" Condition: Like New Price: $30 (new $60-$80) Manual
Have you ever used it, and know that it does indeed work (especially on a vehicle with a truly dead battery)? I'm a bit suspicious of the "500 amp" claim from a small battery, and with only 5 gauge cable. Although on one of the newer permanent magnet starters, it might work well, I don't know.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
ejain

ejain
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 1:02 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Have you ever used it, and know that it does indeed work (especially on a vehicle with a truly dead battery)? I'm a bit suspicious of the "500 amp" claim from a small battery, and with only 5 gauge cable. Although on one of the newer permanent magnet starters, it might work well, I don't know.
Never had to use this jump starter, but I did a fair amount of research before getting it. Don't know if this jump starter would be sufficient for a larger engine, but it's quite heavy, and about the size of the jump starter the road assistance guy used when my battery died (before I got my own jump starter). The jump starter I have now is the size of a video cassette :-)