Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 11:49 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trestle

trestle
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 8:25 am 
Did you see or do you know if there's any evidence of the old Notch Trail from the 1940s map? It's right near the junction of the Big Quil and Mt. Townsend creek.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 10:39 am 
trestle wrote:
old Notch Trail from the 1940s map?
The "Notch Pass Trail #831" shows up on the CalTopo MapBuilder overlay.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 12:54 pm 
1935 map (scroll down just a bit in that thread for a 1936 map) 1933 map links to more maps 1932 map

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
reststep

reststep
PostSat Oct 15, 2016 1:32 pm 
They could have some info at the Quilcene Museum or maybe you already checked there.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSun Oct 16, 2016 2:23 pm 
the unknown metal object in one of the photos appears to be a fragment of rohn antenna tower.

RodF

RodF
PostSun Oct 16, 2016 5:45 pm 
Road to this summit first appears on the 1968 Olympic NF map. It doesn't appear on the 1962 USGS map or any earlier maps, so apparently was built in the mid-'60s. I've found no map showing a trail or fire lookout existed there. (Note a USArmy/USGS/USFS triangulation station QUILCENE 3726 is located on the eastern promontory of Green Mountain, 3 miles due north along the Quilcene Range. No road, trail or lookout structure there. But I read an acoount by a USFS retiree recalling being sent up there repeatedly on foot after lightning storms to look for smokes, so it must have a good view. And there was a large lightning-caused fire on that ridge, in the '60s?) Trestle, the Notch Pass Trail appears on all 1930s, '40s and '50s USFS and USGS maps. CCC Quilcene used it as a shortcut from the Penny Creek CCC Camp to work sites on the Rainbow (Big Quilcene) Trail.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Bruce

Bruce
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 4:19 pm 
there was a "ROHN 25" section of tower there. it was sawed off and used as a base section for a new tower cant recall just when..think 70,s

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Oct 26, 2016 5:44 pm 
Eric...the Big Quilcene lookout is indeed in Footsore 3. All Harvey Manning mentions is that the lookout tower is gone. Not much info there. cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Hutch

Hutch
PostTue Nov 22, 2016 1:56 pm 
Pretty sure I took a wrong turn en route to Mt. Townsend this summer and was surprised to arrive at this place. Good spot for a bonfire and 12 pack (if you clean up after yourself).

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 6:41 pm 
Eric Willhite wrote:
I believe a Winter Hikes book or Footsore book made mention of a lookout at this location
Eric, not only does Footsore 3 very briefly mention Big Quilcene as a site of a former lookout, but my friend Bob Mooers' Winter Hikes devotes a whole section to " Big Quilcene Lookout." He describes how to get there in Hike 53 and provides this comment on page 164: "It's a sad refrain, but the lookout is gone. The lookout site gets a lot of attention from the noise-toys crowd, so do "the Big Q" as deep into the snowy season as weather conditions allow." He gives no details about the lookout itself, which isn't surprising because historical insight wasn't the purpose of his long out-of-print book. Amazon lists this book with used copies, and it is a good one even with the shortage of history. By reading sources included in this thread by Rod F, yourself, and others, it seems that the Big Quilcene Lookout existed only on paper but not in lumber. Or if it existed, they did the most complete job ever of removing all unmistakable evidence such as concrete foundation blocks, glass fragments, etc.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Anatoli
Anatoli

Anatoli
Anatoli
PostThu Dec 08, 2016 8:35 pm 
The old Notch trail exists and received some love in recent times. I hiked the western portion last year down to Bark Shanty camp on the Big Quillicene. Also located the eastern trailhead. A pleasant walk, but no real views. A good forest service road will take you to the pass from the west.