Forum Index > The Trading Post > WTB freight- frame pack. Large.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Oct 13, 2016 12:56 pm 
Really kicking myself for selling my JanSport D5 frame pack years ago, although that may have been too nice for what I have in mind. Need a frame pack for hauling garbage out of the woods. Looking for either a frame pack or just the frame if it has straps. If possible with the hip belt although I could fashion on if it doesn't have one. Looking for cheap since it will be used for work (hauling out junk) and I might have to add a backboard to make this easier. I'm guessing large. Nothing fancy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 13, 2016 1:20 pm 
external frames something like that? did you check Craigslist? I got that big green Kelty from a lady for free - one reason I didn't have a problem giving it away. $20 - in Seattle $30 - U District (might be too small) $15 - Tumwater - don't know if there's a waist belt $50 - Edmonds (big Kelty) If you're going to put a lot of weight on it look for one with four horizontal tubes on the frame.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 7:29 am 
I didn't check CL, thanks. up.gif Don't think it'll be that heavy, 30 pounds or so.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 10:04 am 
four tubes: "mountaineering" pack, as I recall. (memory is fuzzy on that one.) not really a lot of difference in the overall weight of the pack. there are always a mess of external frames listed on CL - some people think they're worth big bucks - but there's no reason to pay more than $20 or $30 for a decent one. I bought one a couple years ago for $20 just to cannibalize the shoulder straps - was cheaper than buying the straps alone from Kelty. from other comments here, they can also be found at Goodwill, St. Vinny's, and other second-hand retail outlets fairly cheap.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 4:53 pm 
Chances are I'll only use it once. Modify it for hauling metal and glass. Funny thing is, the ironic thing, David (longhair27) once offered me this freight pack and I passed it up thinking "what would I use that for?" I purge stuff I don't use, maybe some stuff I should hold on to, just in case. lol.gif This pc I passed twice now, looking like a block of rusty Swiss cheese in the forest is fresh on my mind. First time I thought "I could carry that thing out." But two miles is pretty far carrying junk. Been there, done that, not fun. Odd shape, largish. Might be packed out if I had a rack on my bike but lashing it to a freight pack would be easier and quieter. Less drama.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 5:20 pm 
I could buy it, use it and resell it. Hunters use these to haul out game? Preppers, maybe?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 5:33 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Hunters use these to haul out game?
Yes. I don't think an internal-frame model would lend itself well to hauling massive pieces of dead animal. A good external frame will handle some serious loads - I carried over 85 pounds on mine when I was hauling the camera gear and tripod and stuff. Probably more on a couple trips in the late 80's when I hauled the Dutch oven, frying pan, and grill and was still cooking over a fire. Try a second-hand store if you've got time and aren't in a hurry. Years ago I picked up a small frame only (no bag) for five bucks at a second-hand store.

Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Oct 17, 2016 2:30 pm 
will lend you a top loading kelty. Need it back by April Located in Everett

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost