Forum Index > Food & Grub > Anyone ever tried self cooking Omeals?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Oct 10, 2016 3:42 pm 
I have been seeing references to Omeals lately. They cook themselves with an internal heating packet that gets activated by adding water (No stove needed). Kind of heavy but you can eliminate the stove if you don't need it for hot drinks. They definitely not for me but I am curious if anybody has tried them.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 10, 2016 4:29 pm 
trekmates website www.flamelesscook.com is the URL printed on the packaging. YouTube video review REI was carrying the product line but has apparently dropped it. (Three user reviews - all favorable.) I got one of these two years ago for a birthday present but have yet to have an opportunity (or need) to use it. I have a Coleman Peak1, an MSR Dragonfly, and an MSR pocket rocket, any of which will serve the purpose. I suppose it might be good if I needed to heat something up inside the cab of my truck on a snowy day. I contacted the manufacturer through their website about a month ago and they are still in business and the product line is apparently still available. Space-age stuff - probably developed for the military. Heats up liquids and foods to blazing hot temperatures in pretty short order. Maybe I should try it out with my new titanium "spork". I keep trying to remember when receiving gifts that "it's the thought that counts." wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 10, 2016 6:08 pm 
Omeals 12 ounce Meatballs and Spaghetti $37.99 for three packages ($12.67 per serving) Nutritional information "coming soon". Omeals 8 ounce Vegetable Beef Stew $38.99 for four packages ($9.75 per serving) 170 calories per serving. Sodium: 610 mg per serving I didn't cost it all out, but my guess is that my twelve servings of spaghetti sauce (made with Italian sausage and ground veal) weren't nearly that expensive, and the sodium content (and weight) was most likely much less.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Oct 11, 2016 10:07 pm 
Looks like a civilian version of the military MRE.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 am 
Here is an outfit doing a similar product, but it is only around $5.00/meal for their basic stuff. Prices go up depending on shelf life, and a couple other things, but not unreasonable. The US Military does use this brand . https://heatermeals.com/ I have tried these things out on a few overnight trips. They get a little heavy when you start going out for multiple nights, but they are super convenient. You can also get coffee and other hot drinks that self heat. The meals I had were tasty.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 10:44 am 
Ski wrote:
$38.99 for four packages ($9.75 per serving)170 calories per serving. Sodium: 610 mg per serving
$10 for 170 calories is pretty expensive. After a good day on the trail, I'd need to eat the entire $39 four-pack.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 19, 2016 11:11 am 
^ note that "heatermeals" isn't showing nutritional information per individual serviing on any particular meal, but rather shows an "average".

BethannUpshaw

BethannUpshaw
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 6:41 am 
Never heard about omeals but its sounding healthy.

Bethann E Upshaw