Forum Index > Gear Talk > MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 8:22 pm 
Two basic requirements I have for snowshoes. #1 I must be able to put them on while wearing gloves. I have Raynaud's and this is very important. #2 I don't want bindings which can be made difficult to use because they get froze up. I had a pair of snowshoes which used a fabric strap. The fabric would get wet and then frozen solid, especially when used on multiday adventures. It was a real pain using those. Anyway, MSR bindings meet both of those criteria. They are easy to put on and take off while wearing gloves and the bindings are pretty much impervious to getting frozen useless. Additionally they work well on crusty frozen snow, which is a huge plus. I have no complaints, though YMMV. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSun Dec 27, 2015 11:35 pm 
My MRS lightening ascent shoes have only about 20 miles on them and now the decking is fraying and one of the clips is broken. I'm really not impressed with this. These were very expensive shoes, they should be tougher. I'm glad I still have my Denali's. I may have to use them again when the lightening ascents wear out.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostMon Dec 28, 2015 2:14 am 
All hyperlon decks get frayed and wear out. Not that it matters even if the decks were swiss cheese. Same flotation. Would make the Snowshoes slightly lighter if they were swiss cheesed, but not done due to cost. Your deck could be nothing more than string and work just fine. If you may recall, original snowshoes were nothing but leather string spaced every so often....

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostMon Dec 28, 2015 9:53 am 
ranger rock wrote:
My MRS lightening ascent shoes have only about 20 miles on them and now the decking is fraying and one of the clips is broken. I'm really not impressed with this. These were very expensive shoes, they should be tougher. I'm glad I still have my Denali's. I may have to use them again when the lightening ascents wear out.
Take them into MSR they will fix or replace them, no questions asked. --pat

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Dec 31, 2015 8:46 pm 
DarkHelmet wrote:
ranger rock wrote:
Maybe I will, thanks.

Burg

Burg
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 3:41 pm 
DarkHelmet wrote:
ranger rock wrote:
+1 for this. MSR is great about replacing/fixing their gear. Had a buddy that had a strap break, he went in and they gave him a brand new pair. Great for sure but I still wish the durability was better.

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 5:52 pm 
LA's vs Denali's? I see as many with the old plastic Denali's summiting mtns. The LA's do better side hilling?

KevinDo

KevinDo
PostFri Jan 15, 2016 9:02 pm 
Can't speak for the Lightening Ascents as I use the Revo Ascents (more durable and similar plastic deck as the evos) and they have the same "newer" PosiLock AT bindings. They differ from the Denali / EVOs in that you dont have to run the straps through the loops. Its open on one side. Haven't really timed myself taking them off but it felt fast after I got to the car exhausted from fresh powder for 9 miles haha. -Kevin

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostMon Jan 18, 2016 1:14 am 
I have had my lightning Assents for the past five winters n placed a lot miles on them. No problems with them. The paint has some worm spots but that's about all. They are mountaineering snow shoes for serious snow shoers.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 3:07 pm 
iron wrote:
atlas 1225s, for example (my preferred snowshoe for different reasons),
Interesting to hear from Atlas fans. I've been looking to retire my MSR Denali's, not 100% confident with my DIY fix and they don't have the heel lifter. Atlas 1225 why? Also wondering running shorts with long john's even in the winter? Better fit and cheaper. My OR pants get hot plus they're kind of bulky.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 3:58 pm 
Better bindings for one. Never really liked the rubber band feel of the MSR bindings. YMMV.