Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road Closed Signs & New Monte Cristo Rd.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Oct 23, 2016 3:08 am 
All, Mtn. Loop Hiway at Barlow Pass has county sign at downhill gate: Road Closed to Thru Traffic The reason for closure is on another thread. Question: Is it ok to drive past sign if you intend to return same way, i.e. NOT thru traffic? We all pondered the same sort of thing at Sunrise Mine Rd. although that sign is worded differently. PS: New Monte Cristo Rd. is already in trouble. One particular blow out/scour channel with no culvert attempted, big ponding with submerged culvert, run off trenching in track. It is much more hilly than old road and me not strong bike rider uphill or downhill highly prefer old road except river/log crossing in high water like this weekend. New road meets old road at homemade mile marker 2 on old road. Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
christensent

christensent
PostSun Oct 23, 2016 8:13 am 
If you're not thru traffic and got a ticket, I'd put up a big fight on that one. The point of a sign saying that is they admit the road is possible to travel and they don't want to block access to things on that road, they're just trying to avoid further damage due to unnecessary travel. Going past the sign to reach the destination you describe is exactly the point of the sign not simply saying "road closed".

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
gb

gb
PostSun Oct 23, 2016 8:26 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Road Closed to Thru Traffic The reason for closure is on another thread.
What other thread? Is the Mountain Loop highway damaged between Barlow Pass and Darrington?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Oct 23, 2016 9:19 am 
The road closed sigh on the Mtn Loop Hwy is probably because the Hwy it self suffered multiple washouts this week. The County is busy trying to repair them.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Oct 23, 2016 11:51 am 
FWIW: State Law
Quote:
RCW 47.48.040 Penalty. Except as provided under RCW 47.48.060, when any state highway, county road, or city street or portion thereof shall have been closed, or when the maximum speed limit thereon shall have been reduced, for all vehicles or any class of vehicles, as by law provided, any person, firm, or corporation disregarding such closing or reduced speed limit shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and shall in addition to any penalty for violation of the provisions of this section, be liable in any civil action instituted in the name of the state of Washington or the county or city or town having jurisdiction for any damages occasioned to such state highway, county road, or city street, as the case may be, as the result of disregarding such closing or reduced speed limit.
Quote:
RCW 9.92.030 Punishment of misdemeanor when not fixed by statute. Every person convicted of a misdemeanor for which no punishment is prescribed by any statute in force at the time of conviction and sentence, shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than ninety days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than one thousand dollars or both such imprisonment and fine. [ 1982 1st ex.s. c 47 § 7; 1909 c 249 § 14; Code 1881 § 785; RRS § 2266.]
Federal / Forest Service Law
Quote:
§261.1b Penalty. Any violation of the prohibitions of this part (261) shall be punished by a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment for not more than six months or both pursuant to title 16 U.S.C., section 551, unless otherwise provided. [46 FR 33519, June 30, 1981] §261.54 National Forest System roads. When provided by an order, the following are prohibited: (a) Using any type of vehicle prohibited by the order. (b) Use by any type of traffic prohibited by the order. (c) Using a road for commercial hauling without a permit or written authorization. (d) Operating a vehicle in violation of the speed, load, weight, height, length, width, or other limitations specified by the order. (e) Being on the road. (f) Operating a vehicle carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the rights or safety of other persons or in a manner or at a speed that would endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property. [42 FR 2957, Jan. 14, 1977, as amended at 46 FR 33521, June 30, 1981]

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Oct 23, 2016 1:04 pm 
The sign is pretty clear: "Closed to Thru Traffic" It's correctly informing people of the situation. You can't drive through to Darrington. I don't see anything in that wording that would prohibit driving to intermediate destinations that are located before the washout. The Sunrise Mine situation is different. There the road is simply closed. Period. Driving beyond the sign is prohibited.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Oct 23, 2016 1:11 pm 
Huh, Forest Service web site says as of 10/21 that the 10/20 washouts have been repaired and the road is open, high clearance vehicles recommended.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 23, 2016 1:57 pm 
Da roads be always washing out around Monkey Crispo. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Oct 24, 2016 12:54 am 
Matt, I was up there early on Friday, the 21st. They may have removed the sign after I left??? Anyway, I was not "Thru" traffic and did not get a ticket for my 1.5 hour parking job just below the N. Fork Sauk River Bridge. Tom